[Guide] Swain, increasing your Ball-O-Meter according to your healthbar!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HannaMontanaFan

10-14-2010

Hey Summoners,

Just to excuse myself right from the start for any of my mistakes in my language: english is not my native language and i more or less got is some year in school i barely remember.

Eventhough this is my first guide but this shouldnt downgrade its content.

So this is my guide on Swain, the raven dude.

Skills:

Seriously guys, i wont write them down here, just read them up ingame, too much writing i dont have to do. But, just to let you know i will use phrases like laserbird, stun, dot and ult as descriptions for his q,w,e and r - spell.

First of all, The Runes:

the right runes on Swain are a point that isnt that gamechanging. but it can help getting you into a decent lategame. I use to choose my runes just depending on my personal experiences with casters and this is what you should do either.

I'm personally a great fan of magic and armor penetration so these are the runes i set up for swain, but i give you some options who can be as useful as my choice.

Marks:

Mpen, ofc no other choice.

Seals:

HP/lvl, Mreg/lvl

Glyphs:

Mpen, CDR, CDR/lvl, MR, MR/lvl

Quints:

Mpen, Health.

The Spotlight on swain says that runes are stacking with its passive, but thats just wrong according to my experiences and testings.

Masteries

Simple caster 9/0/21.

Summoner Spells

Ignite, Ghost (Flash, Ghost)

I like the 20% more dmg from Ignite due to his E - Spell. If you got worries on getting ganked/killed to often, get flash/ghost, but this will reduce your dmg output kinda hard.

Skills

W
E
E
W
E
R
E
W
E
W
R
W
Q
Q
Q
Q
Q

I see the question incoming, why not skilling q earlier.

here is the simple reason:

1. It saves mana, which will make you able to hold on your ult for longer
2. your are on max range most of the times, so they will be out of your slow as soon as you cast it, so they wont get dmg and be slowed.
3. better get CDR on your W, and 7 second aoe stun is so awesome!

Items:

Dorans Ring
Catalyst
Boots
Sheen
Haunting Guise
Lichbane
-->Banshee
Zhonyas
--> depending on your opponents team whats coming next.

Playstyle.

Here comes the in my opinion most important part for a guide, i often miss it in others, but its so important to say a word how to actually use the described builds.

Ok, now to this guide. My build includes the two hp-items, because many hp are so very important for a good swain build, just because of his ult. You should get around 2,5k with this one.

During the laning phase you really have to depend on your last-hit-skills, cause swain hasnt got a really good and cheap farming skill. AND, that is even more important, you dont want to kill many creeps at once, you want them to be killed in an 5 seconds interval if possible to maximize the effort of your passive. For raising the opponent you cast a Stun-dot-combo on your opponent and do some boosted autohits, BUT CARE: you are squishy during the laning phase, even with a dorans and you only got a stun and ghost to keep them from killing you. Try to stay in xp-range and lasthit the creeps one after another. Thats what you should aim to do an a 1v1, 2v2 as on a 1v2 lane.

Further in the game, when the team battles are going to begin you got the job of a semitank/caster, kinda similar to vlad. You go in after you tank hopefully initiated, and start your ult, you need to stay in range of hopefully 3 opponent heros or creeps for this time to maximize your ult.
After this your 3 other spells start doing their job. Try to hit as many as possible opponent champs with your stun, but focus on the opponent dps if possible. You are able to stay quite in front, cause of your hp and your ult, so you can reach the opponent range dps or casters with your skills, do this. Cast Stun-Dot-Ignite-laserbird and do your increased lichbane dmg. he should run away know, or if your mates are decent, be dead.
When it is getting close with your hp and your in range of enough opponents just use zhonyas and let you ult heal you up as long as your invulnerable (yes, this really works, when ult was up before).

One last word on playstyle. Your heros loves(!) the blue buff. ok everyone likes it, but because you got no cdr and your ult is so mana intense you really NEED it sometimes.

Final Words.

this is my first guide, so dont be so cocky. im able to get critics, but pls stay serious with those.

Nightdancer ND

10-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannaMontanaFan View Post
you got the job of a semitank/caster
I can't agree with you. (your itembuild is not very tanky, too)

IMHO Swain is a supporter (a debuffer), he can CC the enemy, so that your carry/melee can eat your prey. Due the fact that you do only damage over time, you will only get kills by luck => don't count too much on expensive items.

For example a Spirit Visage is cheap, while it don't gives AP, it boosts your ult, your HP and CR (more CC and besides that more damage).

Zomgsauceplz

10-14-2010

you dont need kills to get money with swain, he farms just fine with his ultimate

Nightdancer ND

10-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomgsauceplz View Post
you dont need kills to get money with swain, he farms just fine with his ultimate
Sure, but still it don't gives you enough for 3 very expensive items right away.