Hitting level 30, how many more games before ranked queue

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SueyCareBear

12-18-2012

i love this thread and everyone in it my faith in humanity has been restored

Darkreprieve

12-18-2012

Well last game we had someone who had last pick, insisted on adc, then freaked when they picked ez. He said Ez was the only champ he could adc with and proceeded to feed all game as vayne...that's what you wanna avoid.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by anAmishLady View Post
We say have 3 reliable champs mainly to mitigate the chances that yours is banned or chosen by someone else.
Yea, this is why we're suggesting numerous champs.

Look, if you only want to play one role and are prepared to dodge every time you don't get your role, then that's your choice, but that's a lot of time sitting around waiting on your timer--not to mention if you dodge too much, you can actually get a ban.

And while you should focus on one or two champions to be your main and strive to play a position they can play as frequently as possible, if you're only playing one role, you're going to be dodging a lot.

But while I definitely say you should have a few viable picks for each role, I'd also highly suggest finding overlap where ever you can. For example, do you like Cho'gath? Cho'gath can more than capably play top, mid, support, or jungle. Find overlap where you can and try to REALLY focus on champions that can play multiple positions if you can.

Zyra can support or mid, so can Lux, etc.

Dzanio

12-19-2012

Here's my suggestion: Solo Queue Sucks. If you're doing ranked teams, all you need is to be comfortable playing 1-3 champions for a given role (i.e. mid), and have enough experience that you can win/hold lane regardless of match up.

In general it's good to have at least one champion for your favorite role which you know you can just win on, even if the other guy hardcounters you; this way even if you have to first pick something like AP carry (don't do this when you can help it), you aren't completely screwed. Expect your win rates to be somewhat lower on this champ than on others.

For Solo/Duo. My advice is to never do solo/duo, the amount of rage it will generate within you is unhealthy. If for some reason you want to play it anyway, here's my suggestion; be comfortable playing every role on a team regardless of position. Have 1-2 positions you are really good at i.e. top and jungle/mid and support/adc and other, and call that in chat at the start of the game, but be open minded and fill in as needed (no one else will be willing to, they're all closeminded simpletons who can play at most one champ and they will generally all want to play the same role; if the enemy team consists of crippled mice playing on toasters in siberia without an internet connection who are currently suffering from crack withdrawal you might win, but I personally would bet on the mice).

Tainted Being

12-19-2012

Honestly, it may depend on your skill level, or if you're in premade teams or not.

Personally I have been in premades with 30s since level 8 and know the support role inside and out. So I would be comfortable going into ranked as a support if I were to be going with a friend that can ADC. I wouldn't suggest Solo que until you're all around ready for any lane and any situations.

DefinitelyNotADC

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstylez View Post
I see everyone say "play different champs, 3 per role"

I've watched quite a few different streams, and whenever pro/high elo players give advice to the mythical 'Elo hell', they say try to stick to 1 or 2 champs, and that countering is not something to worry about until high elo because players aren't skilled enough to have a champion actually counter another.

Thoughts?
Completley a viable way to go. I stick to only one champ as much as possible, and it is honestly a great way to go, obviously there will be times where you cant play that champ, so knowledge of a champ or two in every role is a must, but i have been gaining elo pretty steadily sense i started sticking to one champ.

And as for counterpicking, im on my way up from 800 elo, and i can safely say the 800-1000 elo bracket has no idea how to play to the advantages of a counter pick, if you get countered play defensively, and they will blow whatever skill they have that counters you playing overagressively, then they are screwed. I main kat and it happens 80% of the time they go offensive with say diana, kats main counter, and pop thier e to pull me to them just blowing all thier skills. Its quite funny and ironic, because most people focus so much on countering at that elo too.

msylcatac

12-19-2012

I'm sorry but unless your a prodigy or have played MOBA games in the past it wont matter you wont get past 1600 ELO this season (not saying 100% true but most likely). So just play ranked and then next season do your thang.

Drakojan

12-19-2012

Quick question about ranked, how do you get the role you want? It seems like most people will take the role they want first pick, and it makes sense, but am I going to be supporting in all of my ranked games? I don't mind it, I like support, I'm just wondering.

first time Vayne

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by msylcatac View Post
I'm sorry but unless your a prodigy or have played MOBA games in the past it wont matter you wont get past 1600 ELO this season (not saying 100% true but most likely). So just play ranked and then next season do your thang.
Haterz gonna hate. :P

Pure Celerity

12-19-2012

This seems a bit silly. I think you guys would know better than me, so I wont argue much. But I play customs with lvl 30s who have 1200 elo or above and I hold my own without issue generally. I am a level 20. I have played games on a competitive level for 4 years now and have always been a quick learner and teamwork is the strongest part of my game.. maybe I learn quicker than others but I feel like I could go into ranked right now and be pretty solid.