Hitting level 30, how many more games before ranked queue

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

suckdabbc69

12-18-2012

So I am level 29 almost 30, how many more normal games would you guys recommend playing before jumping into ranked play? I understand knowledge of the meta is obviously more important than number of games played, but I feel I have a better understanding than most in my position having watched a lot of pro games and streams and playing with friends who were level 30s who play ranked when leveling up my account. I feel I am an above average player having only played for a bit over 3 months and only 150 wins, but obviously I need more experience, so how many more games after hitting 30 would you say someone should play before ranked? What else can I do to prepare myself for ranked games (aside from building up a whole bunch of rune pages)?

SIDE NOTE: Having watched my friend play ranked alot I have to ask, why does riot not have some kind of role queueing or assignment system? Maybe you could put in your preference order and it queues you based on that or something? From what I have seen it seems like in over half of the games he played there was tons of *****ing and trolling in the lobby due to stupid disputes over "calling mid" and instalocking and what not, I am sure I am not the first person to think that riot should implement some sort of role assignment or queuing system

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-18-2012

Quote:
So I am level 29 almost 30, how many more normal games would you guys recommend playing before jumping into ranked play? I understand knowledge of the meta is obviously more important than number of games played, but I feel I have a better understanding than most in my position having watched a lot of pro games and streams and playing with friends who were level 30s who play ranked when leveling up my account. I feel I am an above average player having only played for a bit over 3 months and only 150 wins, but obviously I need more experience, so how many more games after hitting 30 would you say someone should play before ranked? What else can I do to prepare myself for ranked games (aside from building up a whole bunch of rune pages)?
Here's what I'd say... once you have enough champions to play Draft Pick (you need 16), and have at least 2 champions per role you're capable of playing (some champions can overlap roles), then play normal Draft Pick. Get about 100+ wins (if not, significantly more) in this game mode before you even think about starting ranked.

EDIT: And honestly, you CAN play with only 2 rune pages, but 4 is certainly more than enough. You need an AD rune page and an AP rune page. A jungle rune page and a support rune page would be the 3rd and 4th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckdabbc69 View Post
SIDE NOTE: Having watched my friend play ranked alot I have to ask, why does riot not have some kind of role queueing or assignment system? Maybe you could put in your preference order and it queues you based on that or something? From what I have seen it seems like in over half of the games he played there was tons of *****ing and trolling in the lobby due to stupid disputes over "calling mid" and instalocking and what not, I am sure I am not the first person to think that riot should implement some sort of role assignment or queuing system
All those threads talking about role-queuing.

suckdabbc69

12-18-2012

Okay, thanks for the input normal draft sounds like a good idea. Also sorry, I was sure people had thought of that role queue thing and posted about it before but I'm new to the forums so was unaware just how many threads were made about it >.<

adc

12-18-2012

We generally get at least 1-2 a day.

Also, I'd suggest spending a few hundred games in Draft mode, at the least. Get very comfortable playing all the roles, and try for being +50 wins over losses, at the least, before going into ranked.

Darkreprieve

12-18-2012

Yeah dude. Hold out on ranked games until you have at least 3 champions for each role. Focus on draft games and learning which champions counter which. Example Talon vs Kassadin and whatnot.

Capt Poro Snax

12-18-2012

Honestly just want to say thank you for coming to the forums and getting advice before barreling into ranked, It helps you and others. Yes as mentions normal draft pick will be your friend for a while.
Also understanding the mechanics of each role would be a great help to you before ranking and just in general. Learning counters would also be recommended or at least using a counter page to reference.
Just want to add its not a bad idea to go in solo or with some friends into a custom game to practice last hitting or jungling.

first time Vayne

12-18-2012

I love how everyone is posting about win counts and Draft mode.

Normal Draft mode is better preparation for ranked, but it's not necessary to play hundreds of games specifically in Normal Draft mode before going into ranked. Do play some Normal Draft to get comfortable with how the draft picking system works, but your games after that can be Blind if you want. That said, you will have to play more games in Blind Pick to prepare for ranked than if you had prepared in Normal Draft to compensate for the quality of players, team comps, and to learn how countering works.

And yea, you definitely need to have at least 200 Normal wins after achieving level 30 before going into ranked -- they can be Draft or Blind as long as they are serious games played with your better champs in a variety of roles. And be sure that the champs you choose for each role have somewhat different play styles so that you can counterpick more easily. Determine which roles you want to main -- the ones you're best at -- and become familiar with every matchup you can think of with your champs in those roles. Read guides for your champs on Solomid.net, watch pro streams of them, and critique replays of your games if you want to be an overachiever.

http://www.leaguereplays.com/download/

But the main thing you need to learn before going into ranked is how to help your team as much as possible. That is the main reason you need all those wins. You'll be entering at about 1200 elo, and at that level of play, the most important factor when it comes to winning is helping other lanes, not just winning yours. You can beast your lane as hard as you want, but if the other 3 (jungle is a "lane") fail, you're screwed. This means learning how to maintain map awareness -- learn to ward, watch your minimap, and pop your camera over to other lanes from time to time. Leave a ward at another lane if you pass by, and slip a ward into their jungle if you can. If you see an enemy leave their lane, ping or say mia for your ally. He may be busy last hitting or fighting, or he may just forget to say mia himself. And a well-timed mia can save a life. If you have a feeling that a gank is about to happen, warn your team. And go gank other lanes yourself whenever you get the chance, leaving a ward behind if they need cover from counterganks. If you think about it, that kind of highly fluid team play is a whole level above simply laning well. I watch replays of every ranked game I play (plus most normals), and I have yet to see one where the team with better coordination and teamwork did not win. And the pattern of coordination and teamwork is generally set early on.

You'll be ready for ranked when you easily pick out mistakes made by the players in Normal games....like every 15 seconds in every single Normal game you play. You'll be able to feel it after a few hundred wins' worth of constantly driving to improve.

MickeySee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

Chances are you are not skilled enough yet. Doesn't mean you aren't a good player or sooon to be one but my recommendation is 500wins. Make sure you have every rune slot filled in and to be 100% prepared for ranked 50Games atleast with a champion. Dont get ahead of yourself because then when you are stuck in "ELO HELL" you will look back to this post and say i was right.

Dubstylez

12-18-2012

I see everyone say "play different champs, 3 per role"

I've watched quite a few different streams, and whenever pro/high elo players give advice to the mythical 'Elo hell', they say try to stick to 1 or 2 champs, and that countering is not something to worry about until high elo because players aren't skilled enough to have a champion actually counter another.

Thoughts?

first time Vayne

12-18-2012

We say have 3 reliable champs mainly to mitigate the chances that yours is banned or chosen by someone else.