How I think we could do away with Summoner Levels fairly.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask Gamermac

12-18-2012

HI. I'm a summoner.

Back in beta, I started playing LoL. I mained Evelynn in my day, even when everyone said she was a horrible pick. I remember the olden days, the Dodge stat on Phantom Dancers that could stack to 100%, stackable Sunfire Capes on Evelynn that made enemies freak out because their health suddenly randomly starts dropping and all their minions explode, and when we had to buy Recalls (The Blue Pill). I decided to quit a while back, getting completely rid of my account by quite literally giving it to a random stranger. Recently, I started back up, and I'm instantly reminded how annoying and pointless summoner levels are.

What's their purpose? Why do we have 3 tiers of runes that are just IP-dumps if you're buying Tier 1 or 2, and when you hit level 20 you gotta stock up on Tier 3 Runes, etc.. Plus, matchmaking never makes games balanced if your summoner level is low. You're either playing with Smurfs who made new accounts just to stomp newbies and laugh, brand new people who have no clue what they're doing, or people who queued up with their level 30 friend who has Tier 3 Runes and 30 Mastery Points who's gonna 1v5 the entire team as Lee Sin.

The only balanced games are ones that are all Level 30, which are only possible after you've slaved over the game in the Summoner Level equivalent of Elo Hell for like a month. I've bought four XP Boosts already and I'm still only level 17 after well over a month, granted I don't play that dang much but still.

Some might say "Just play Bot matches." Well, Bots are designed to be level 30, so until summoner level 20, they're completely unfair and just roll you hopelessly.

Summoner Levels are just dumb, and make the first maybe 400-ish games you play before level 30 completely imbalanced and lame. You either stomp the enemy or you get stomped, there's no close balanced matches.

Now, all of this has been said before I'm sure, so lemmie get to the point.

I think I thought of a system that would be superior to Summoner Levels. Here goes.

--- First, you ditch levels entirely, and create a two-rung Ladder system. The Ladder system will put people through 2 different phases of gameplay. It's similar to leveling, but has some major differences that balance out play pretty heavily.

-- So you just started! You've been plopped into Beginner Tier. In this tier, you can play any game mode except Ranked, and have no Runes and no Masteries what-so-ever (Unless you play Practice, in which case you have 30 mastery points and some cookie-cutter rune-pages listed below. Since Practice is supposed to be, y'know, Practice). Until you get out of Beginner Tier, you can't use Runes in real games, but you can buy them all you want and start building rune pages. You can use your bought runes in Practice matches too.

- In Beginner Tier, you have a 400-Point counter in the corner of your screen in place of the XP Bar. After you've gained 400 Points, you move into the Advanced Tier (Equivalent to level 30).

-- You gain 0.5 points from a Coop-Vs-AI loss on Dominion or Twisted Treeline.
-- You gain 1 point from a Coop-vs-AI loss on Summoner's Rift, or a Dominion or Twisted Treeline loss.
-- You gain 2 points from a Coop-vs-AI win on Summoner's Rift, or a Dominion or Twisted Treeline win, or a Summoner's Rift loss.
-- You gain 4 points from a Summoner's Rift win.

--- In place of XP Boosts, there'll be Point Boosters that increase those values by 100%, making them go from 0.5/1/2/4 to 1/2/4/8.

--- If you queue with a friend who's in the Advanced Tier, they'll be given a notification explaining that their Runes and Masteries will be disabled for that game since they queued with a beginner. This makes the whole "Level 1 queues with his level 30 friend for an almost guaranteed win" thing just-about impossible (They obviously might still out-skill the enemy team). It'll also only pit you against other Beginners and Advanced players who have no Runes or Masteries.

- Once you've hit Advanced, you have 100 Points added to your Point Bar. For these remaining points, you have access to cookie-cutter Rune Pages (AP, AD, Support, Tank, Jungler) that you can use in real games (instead of just practice) until those points run out. At this point, every game's point values are changed to 1 for Dominion/Treeline Bot-Matches, 2 for Rift Bot-Matches or Dominion/Treeline Matches, 4 for Rift Matches, regardless of wins or losses. XP Boosts don't work at this point.

-- After you've gained those 100 Points, your cookie-cutter Rune Pages are removed, leaving you with the default amount of empty pages, as well as any pages you've prepared during those 500 total points. Those 100 points are a grace period giving you time to buy your own runes, assuming you hadn't already. This means if you slacked off and didn't buy enough runes to make a full page or two by 400 points, you'll have some cookie-cutters to give you a chance to finish a page (or more) before you're thrown into the fray completely.

-- You CAN use any pages you've already built at that time, so if you were on the ball and already built an optimal rune-page for your champion or playstyle, you can use it, but you still have the cookie-cutters in case someone insta-locks Teemo before you can.

---

Q: How is all of this an improvement to summoner levels?
A: It gets rid of Level mismatches that cause unfair games before level 30. As of right now, the only incredible unfairness at level 30 is when someone accidentally takes their AD Carry runes and masteries when they picked Sona. A level 17 like me queueing with 4 level 30 friends means I'm the incredibly gimpy broken leg of the group, and there's virtually no way I'll be of any practical use, and my bringing the team down will usually result in a hopeless loss. This system will ensure that every game is evenly matched, aside from human error like AD Sona.

Q: How good would the Cookie Cutters be? How would those be balanced at all?
A: In some cases they wouldn't, but most cases they would (But that's the same case for the current Runes and Masteries). The idea is that they'll give simple things, like "Ability-Power Marks, Mana-Regen Seals, AP-Per-Level Glyphs, and Flat AP Quints" for the AP tree. It's fairly optimal for an AP Caster. But things like Movement Speed Quints, Armor-Pen Quints, Gold-Per-Ten Seals, Attack-Speed Marks, other more meta-game stuff like that would be something a player would have to buy themselves.

Q: Why don't XP Boosts or Losses effect those last 100 points?
A: Because this grace period is meant as your final chance to set up at least 1 rune page for your playstyle to get started in the big-time matches. Sure, the first 400 points was meant for that, but there's always that chance you spent most of your IP on 6300IP champions and forgot to buy runes, so this is your last chance. Having an XP Boost to zoom through this would make it kind of unfair for people who didn't consider that they need to buy runes.

Q: Why not just make the cookie-cutter Rune Pages available right from the start?
A: Because then people would just keep making new accounts to get the cookie-cutters every time they lost them and would be far more obnoxious than Smurf-accounts currently are. The 400-point "No Runes or Masteries" tier is for people to get used to the game before hitting Advanced.

Q: Would Practice games be worth any points?
A: No. And I honestly don't think they should be worth IP either. I don't know if they currently are, but if they are, they shouldn't be.

Q: What if you're already Summoner Level 2-29 and they suddenly implemented this change? What would happen to your level?
A: You'd be given 15 points per Summoner Level. So at level 29, you'd get 435 Points, effectively giving you 65 points with Cookie Cutter Rune Pages until you lose those. A level 1 account wouldn't get any points, however. 2 would get 30, 3 would get 45, and so on. If you're Summoner Level 30, you'd see no change at all, except that if you queue with your friends who were 2-26 (Since 26 is the highest level you can be and still have you put in the Beginner Tier [With 10 points until Advanced]), you'll have to opt out of using your Runes and Masteries.

Hopefully all of this makes sense, and maybe Riot might consider this as an alternative to the current wonky summoner-level system.

Who knows?

I'm sure they're far more concerned with level 30 summoners and don't really care about levels 1-29 being imbalanced, but I'd still like to see this change made to help give brand new players a more fair experience.

Knowing my luck this'll be overlooked, laughed at, whatever. Heck I'll probly get "This just sounds like some idiot whining because they gave away their account and have to level again and they just can't handle it!"

Honestly? This annoyed me even when I was level 30. I would invite friends to try the game, they'd start out, get to level 4 or 5 before they wanted to play with me, and I'd queue with them, putting us against level 12-30 people who would stomp my friend. Every time I wanna play with my low-level buddies, I gotta realize that it's gonna pit us against a completely imbalanced opponent, either in or against our favor.

So sure, I might sound like I'm just whining, ranting, whatever; but I honestly think a system like this would work better in the game's favor.

Thanks for reading, assuming you did!

~Mac

Phoenix0Wright

12-18-2012

I stopped reading this wall of text when I saw "bots are completely unfair and just roll you hopelessly".

Arcticfury

12-18-2012

Take off the training wheel QQ bro. Bots are easy to destroy at level 1, at level 4 you should destroy the easy bots and the intermediate bots are still easy enough. Level 17s don't queue with level 30s, that has been fixed ages ago. In fact nothing you wrote rings partially true.

If you want these things you're playing the wrong game. This is PVP, not cotton candy land with marshmallows and fuzzy bunnies you shoot at with nerf darts and everyone gets to see VICTORY at the end of each match.

Reading this was the second biggest waste of time, writing it was the biggest waste of time on these forums, EVER. You should take the time to read how to play rather than write out your ignorance in how the game works. I want my time back, you owe me bud.

Lime Josh

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfury View Post
Take off the training wheel QQ bro. Bots are easy to destroy at level 1, at level 4 you should destroy the easy bots and the intermediate bots are still easy enough. Level 17s don't queue with level 30s, that has been fixed ages ago. In fact nothing you wrote rings partially true.

If you want these things you're playing the wrong game. This is PVP, not cotton candy land with marshmallows and fuzzy bunnies you shoot at with nerf darts and everyone gets to see VICTORY at the end of each match.

Reading this was the second biggest waste of time, writing it was the biggest waste of time on these forums, EVER. You should take the time to read how to play rather than write out your ignorance in how the game works. I want my time back, you owe me bud.
I lol'd so freakin hard over cotton candy land LOL.

on Note, u have a good idea but I don't understand it fully, maybe if I re read it 2 or 3 more times, yea id understand you. but I don't feel the level system is that bad, maybe the rune system, yes 100% totally u should be allowed to buy tier 3 runes at any level.