Ability Synergy AMA by BergMeister

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BergMeister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2013

bump

BergMeister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-21-2013

new featured champion

Zarkof

01-21-2013

not sure if this falls under synergy and I already know the answer, but it's been something I've encountered before with some of my concepts.

Quote:
Should I make an ultimate that increases the power of one or two spells by a %? Why or why not?

BergMeister

01-22-2013

will come back to this tomorrow. am tired. need sleep. need....brain...power....

ploki122

01-22-2013

If I can drop in on that, unless it is 100% in touch with your concept and the character background, I really suggest you not to do that. It kinda fits with synergy, since it is forced synergy imo (at least in Ryze and Heim's cases), however it can also be some good synergy like Karma's... However, there's also the ability design that's flawed here... Basically, Ryze's Ultimate is kinda fun... his archetype is a tanky mage that spam spells... you use your ult and you are tankier, spammier and spellier... It's pretty much the same for Heimerdinger. However, you hit Karma, and her ult feels like you're restraining her power.

So basically, most abilities that work in that sense will end up with either forced synergy (old Katarina's Killer Instinct) or unsatisfying abilities (Karma's ultimate).

Zarkof

01-22-2013

I meant, specifically one spell, not all of them...

ploki122

01-22-2013

Then it's even more of a no... If all your ultimate does is boost Q's effect,s have your ultimate be a boosted Q...

BergMeister

01-22-2013

In some cases it could be a good idea, Vlad's ult increases ALL damage by 10%. Therefore no matter what it has good synergy with whatever his spells are. However, ploki has a point, it is forced synergy and therefore should be used sparingly. Because this is the champion CONCEPT community, I often want to encourage people not to make champions with kits that we already have. explore new mechanics that do different and fun things. Don't just make an ultimate that increases the power of a spell. Thats boring, we've seen it before.