Ability Synergy AMA by BergMeister

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BergMeister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2012

maybe it works sorta like dnd.....diana was unfortunate enough to roll a critical failure.

BergMeister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-23-2012

bumping

ploki122

12-23-2012

One point that I'm really not sure if I'm on the same note as everyone is Synergy vs Resource...

Mana is the most common one and can't really be dismantled or anything as its the foundation and the reference for comparing.

Energy, imo has to have more synergy than anything else. Basically, your champion is created to execute X/Y/Z tasks, and if you do them, you are rewarded with energy refill (that's a fact, the question isn't there yet). But a couple of Riot designers have already said that, and I agree with them (and Q1 : do you?), your champions' kit shouldn't bee oversynergetic. Basically, they say that if all of your kit flows up together in a given rotation, then the champion basically has 2 choices, use techniques like you want, or have efficient results. So Q2 : Don't you think that those 2 concepts are kinda conflicting? Q3 : What is the line in your opinion between 1 synergizing spell rotation meant to attain a certain goal, and a choice-less kit? Right now, from what I can see of current energy users, what they are trying to do is either restrict the correct use cases of certain abilities to penalize a bad play (shen's taunt, zed's double hits, akali's procs), or simply make it part of a fatal result (kennen's stun... the whole kit is meant to stun no matter what you do).

Q4 : While talking bout kennen, how do you feel about forced synergy? Basically, apart from her running + AoE ult, Kennen's synergy is pretty as bland as it gets... You have an ability that hits anything you already hit... and you have everything adding innate stacks...

Now, onto barely used resources, Q5 : if we have some double-kit champions (Elise, Jayce, Nid), do you think both kits should synergizes, or anti-synergizes (each form has a distinct opposite goal). Q6 :And to look deeper into the Nid vs others, how synergetical do you think the liaison has to be? Basicaly, Nidalee doesn't really has a natural flow in her Human -> Cougar (other than jump into melee range and jump), and even less in Cougar -> Human. Do you see that as a design flaw? or is the double nature of that girl more of a feature?.

What about resourceless now... we have 2 perfect opposites right now... On one hand we have Katarina who can't use the full extent of her kit unless she does what the kit isn't meant for (Melee hit on Q, run around with W, aim at your target for E instead of prancing around). On the other we have Garen, He has a gap closer that ends up with a super attack and a CC to let you dish out some damage. We have an ability that removes slows and that deals damage to anything near you. And we have an ability that executes anything from melee to just outside the previous ability's range... And to top it off we have a shield that can be used at any time...

Q7 : Which of those 2 kits do you prefer design-wise? and why? (you can choose to answer any other manaless such as Riven who is pretty much in Garen's use-case...)

I think that's all for now, I really love the fact yo guys chose to do AMA

EDIT : Just realized a lot of those questions got asked in some kind of form. and also you missed the question I found the most interesting... I talked about Syn vs Res, but what about synergy vs Class? Should the role of a champion affect the ratio of Team Synergy (how much your abilities are affected by others', like grievous wounds or cass' E) vs. individual synergy?

BergMeister

12-23-2012

I believe energy does require the most synergy in order for it to work, but that doesn't mean that the rest can just be bull****ted through and ignored. Energy requires a lot of synergy for it to even be justified for its use, which is why mana requires the least amount of synergy in my opinion. Riot sometimes has a few issues with synergy. I strive to create champions and teach synergy in a way in which the champion can be played multiple ways to achieve different results but still synergize. Brand was my example for how a champion should be. Shyvanna is a one track synergy to get one result. But she still requires skill because you need to know when to go in and when to use your kit. Also you need to make sure you don't miss your E :P. i think that answered question 3 as well. Kennen I feel has synergy, and it works. It may not be the most entertaining kit ever but the thing is that I would rather see people do that then create overly complicated kits. Double kit champions have not been done right in my opinion because their kits synergize but not between the two kits. The closest to the way I'd like to see it is Jayce in which he starts ranged and burns his cooldowns on the target and then runs in melee and finishes them off. Elise was damn close, but they gave her too much utility and not enough actual damage for someone who doesn't have an ult. Yet Nidalee almost does have that broken synergy explained, remember she is both civilized and wild at the same time. There is a natural split in her personality. Kat DOES synergize though. Her W procs her Q's passive, I just wish they would increase its missle speed for the people who click quickly as i do. However I do not approve resourcless champions as I feel that they are a better form of energy. It feels to me like the lazy way out, seeing as many have low cooldowns AND high damage, where as energy champions have that, but they have to be smart, meanwhile riven just bounces all around like who the hell gives a flying damn, Garen as well.

Team Synergy does not come far into champion design other than making sure your champion isn't designed to break your own team synergy, or just really doesnt have a place. In my opinion Yi is an example of this, he doesnt do anything other than kill people, he doesn't benefit your team any further than his damage.

BergMeister

12-24-2012

I have decided that in my reviews, should I find a champion that I feel fits what I've been discussing in my AMA that they would be put on the AMA's front page for a week. This will serve as a way to shine their champion, as well as get my point across about ability synergy and how to do it.

Katsuni

12-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergMeister View Post
I have decided that in my reviews, should I find a champion that I feel fits what I've been discussing in my AMA that they would be put on the AMA's front page for a week. This will serve as a way to shine their champion, as well as get my point across about ability synergy and how to do it.
That makes good sense, and it's free publicity for peoples who do a good job on their stuff! I approve of the idea ^.^

Not that yeu need my approval, but there it is =P

BergMeister

12-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
That makes good sense, and it's free publicity for peoples who do a good job on their stuff! I approve of the idea ^.^

Not that yeu need my approval, but there it is =P
Council is the voice of the community, therefore having their approval is essential [:

Shrouded Snake

12-24-2012

Hey Berg. If you would, please help me out with Gabriel, the Scrap Animator. I feel like he's missing something.

BergMeister

12-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrouded Snake View Post
Hey Berg. If you would, please help me out with Gabriel, the Scrap Animator. I feel like he's missing something.
Sure, I'll give him a look when I have a little bit more time, I wanna be able to give your champion the time it deserves rather than breeze over it. Do me a favor and make a note in the CCFC Review Request that I will be reviewing him, just so we have him added to the list of completed requests when I finish him.

BergMeister

01-02-2013

bumping