Ability Synergy AMA by BergMeister

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moby the White

Senior Member

12-19-2012

bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The5lacker

Senior Member

12-19-2012

A good point I think should be brought up is the concept of forced synergy, and how forcing synergy can be even worse than having none at all.

Case in point? Xerath. Xerath has such a force and contrived synergy, it's just...laughable. His passive gives him armor for doing what all AP carries do, his W is completely useless without his other abilities, and his two main damage dealers are so short ranged and hard to hit with they practically require his W to be threats at all. This is an example of poorly forced synergy in my eyes. To me, Xerath lacks any wow factor, despite having a drastic amount of "synergy" in his kit.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moby the White

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5lacker View Post
A good point I think should be brought up is the concept of forced synergy, and how forcing synergy can be even worse than having none at all.

Case in point? Xerath. Xerath has such a force and contrived synergy, it's just...laughable. His passive gives him armor for doing what all AP carries do, his W is completely useless without his other abilities, and his two main damage dealers are so short ranged and hard to hit with they practically require his W to be threats at all. This is an example of poorly forced synergy in my eyes. To me, Xerath lacks any wow factor, despite having a drastic amount of "synergy" in his kit.
this is an excellent point of how abilities although work well together can have setbacks. Making something completely rely upon another ability is not synergy but more so resource. If you think of it that way Xerath does not synergize well but rather has a lot of required resources in order to effectively cast spells.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The5lacker

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby the White View Post
this is an excellent point of how abilities although work well together can have setbacks. Making something completely rely upon another ability is not synergy but more so resource. If you think of it that way Xerath does not synergize well but rather has a lot of required resources in order to effectively cast spells.
I still prefer to refer to it as Forced Synergy, both to cue people in to how its caused (I.E. trying to force synergy), as well as how, technically, it is a synergy between them. Xerath does have a certain degree of synergy. Rooting with his W, marking someone with his E, stunning them with his Q, and then bombarding them with his Ult is a very potent and rewarding combo. It's just a shame that's the ONLY thing he can do, unlike Brand, who's a combo mage who still deals decent damage with any of his abilities by themselves. I actually think Brand has some of the best synergy in the game, and is a shining example of a well designed champion.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moby the White

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5lacker View Post
I still prefer to refer to it as Forced Synergy, both to cue people in to how its caused (I.E. trying to force synergy), as well as how, technically, it is a synergy between them. Xerath does have a certain degree of synergy. Rooting with his W, marking someone with his E, stunning them with his Q, and then bombarding them with his Ult is a very potent and rewarding combo. It's just a shame that's the ONLY thing he can do, unlike Brand, who's a combo mage who still deals decent damage with any of his abilities by themselves. I actually think Brand has some of the best synergy in the game, and is a shining example of a well designed champion.
fair enough...I only mean that over synergizing or forced synergy becomes a required resource and basically acts against you


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The5lacker

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby the White View Post
fair enough...I only mean that over synergizing or forced synergy becomes a required resource and basically acts against you
Exactly. Like I said, it's a terrible thing, but name gives context and can help people avoid the problem early.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moby the White

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5lacker View Post
Exactly. Like I said, it's a terrible thing, but name gives context and can help people avoid the problem early.
very true


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dzanio

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Starting to look like this is really more your AMA than bergmeister's, Moby.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BergMeister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-20-2012

I had a slight issue where I wasn't able to log into the forums for a few days. So I'm glad he picked up my slack. Moby stop doing my job :P feel free to put your thoughts but damn chill sir making me look bad. As far as Xerath, he has synergy, because his abilities do work together, but hes not as fun as other champions because the way they build the synergy makes him static to play (no pun intended). He can only be played a certain way, stun activator, q. bombard, repeat. I don't like him either. Flames will be making an AMA soon about ability mechanics and how to make them fun, its basically an extension to the matter I'm talking about, ability synergy is the core thing you need to do. Ability mechanics make that synergy fun and interesting to play. its a two part process.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Katsuni

Senior Member

12-20-2012

A quick question, since I'd like this to be specifically addressed, and I'm curious as to how yeu'll covers it =3


Q: How much synergy between abilities on a champion's kit is "too much synergy"? Where do yeu draw the line? How do yeu avoid going too far in the first place, and how do yeu fix it once yeu've gone off the deep end?

Anyway, looking forwards to yeur answers ^.^