Ability Synergy AMA by BergMeister

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dzanio

12-18-2012

tsk tsk, stacking slows so that effectiveness is reduced on a thread about synergy. Well, I did admit to building fm, so who am I to talk?

BergMeister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

I only used her as example ]: I don't find her fun, but i guess running into a team and having 8k health might be. I simply meant that she has really good kit synergy and its more obvious on her and shyv than other champions.

Moby the White

12-18-2012

shyvs E omg! HATRED except while in dragon that stuffs awesome!

Dzanio

12-18-2012

Sej is fun even w/o 8 k health. She has several legitimate builds for jungling. Her kit does have amazing synergy.

BergMeister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

I love how this became a sej discussion thread instead of an AMA XD

Moby the White

12-18-2012

bergmeister how do I make abilities synergize with my lore appropriately?

I don't seem to grasp how I can make all 5 abilities appear in the lore :S

How can I explain all of that without a wall of text?

~Moby pretending to be Concerned Creator :S

BergMeister

12-18-2012

Use your head. Lol im jk. But no seriously please do.

A: Lore is the most important and key aspect of Champcrafting. Without it your champion has no focus. Your lore decides the allignment of you champion first and foremost, are they evil good or neutral. If in your lore you make any mention of his notable achievements he better have something in his abilities that lend to that. All 5 abilities may not appear in the lore, but at least one should, and that particular ability should be the champions signature move, and the rest of the kit built around that ability. For example, singed, his lore suggests that he is a chemist, and that he has created potions that could push the body beyond its normal limits. This becomes his ultimate, and its stats make him faster and regain faster, making him a natural chaser and good at running. Riot chose to take the running aspect from there. In his lore they make mention that he used a poison to destroy an entire town which is the premises of his q. these 2 abilities are the only ones that make their appearance in his lore. The kit is then built around the rest of the things that are used to create abilities. 1) what type of champion is this [chaser/fighter, defender, carry]. 2) what does this class of champion need to do their job. Singed being a chaser, requires a gap closer so they gave him a slow, next his poison only works behind him, so they needed a way to force a champion to be in the poison and gave him his toss.

TL;DR: Create your champions based upon a single idea, develop the character in terms of story etc, why is he in the league etc. Create your lore, create abilities based upon the content of what you have in your lore or judgement. Do this by taking signature moves that they have done during high achievements or acts of desperation that fit their personality. Build more abilities off of their signature move. Their signature move DOES NOT have to be their ult. Case and point look at Fiora, while her ultimate is a large presence the part that is mention most in the lore is her passive, her ability to duel. What does a duelest, or a chaser/fighter need? A gap closer, a form of damage, and a form of control. Fiora has a double gap closer, and has her form of control by gaining movement speed by attacking, and her damage comes from her attack speed steroid and her damage. Unfortunately this is not something you can explain without a wall of text.

Moby the White

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergMeister View Post
Use your head. Lol im jk. But no seriously please do.

A: Lore is the most important and key aspect of Champcrafting. Without it your champion has no focus. Your lore decides the allignment of you champion first and foremost, are they evil good or neutral. If in your lore you make any mention of his notable achievements he better have something in his abilities that lend to that. All 5 abilities may not appear in the lore, but at least one should, and that particular ability should be the champions signature move, and the rest of the kit built around that ability. For example, singed, his lore suggests that he is a chemist, and that he has created potions that could push the body beyond its normal limits. This becomes his ultimate, and its stats make him faster and regain faster, making him a natural chaser and good at running. Riot chose to take the running aspect from there. In his lore they make mention that he used a poison to destroy an entire town which is the premises of his q. these 2 abilities are the only ones that make their appearance in his lore. The kit is then built around the rest of the things that are used to create abilities. 1) what type of champion is this [chaser/fighter, defender, carry]. 2) what does this class of champion need to do their job. Singed being a chaser, requires a gap closer so they gave him a slow, next his poison only works behind him, so they needed a way to force a champion to be in the poison and gave him his toss.

TL;DR: Create your champions based upon a single idea, develop the character in terms of story etc, why is he in the league etc. Create your lore, create abilities based upon the content of what you have in your lore or judgement. Do this by taking signature moves that they have done during high achievements or acts of desperation that fit their personality. Build more abilities off of their signature move. Their signature move DOES NOT have to be their ult. Case and point look at Fiora, while her ultimate is a large presence the part that is mention most in the lore is her passive, her ability to duel. What does a duelest, or a chaser/fighter need? A gap closer, a form of damage, and a form of control. Fiora has a double gap closer, and has her form of control by gaining movement speed by attacking, and her damage comes from her attack speed steroid and her damage. Unfortunately this is not something you can explain without a wall of text.
Wow what great advice I really appreciate this thank you, but what should I do if I get stumped and don't know how to present Ideas in lore?

~Concerned Creator

PS: I lolled XD my pseudo questions are appropriate no?

BergMeister

12-18-2012

Refer to Moby's guide on lorecrafting (clever one moby -.- i see what you did there)

Dzanio

12-18-2012

I'll tie the sej post in more appropriately. If you correctly line up her abilities, by dashing in w/ q, landing it on multiple enemies, and knocking them back you get a ton of cc. This also applies her passive to an entire enemy team, allowing you to do double damage to everyone using your w. Finally, your e can be used as a refresh on your passive, as well as an extra slow, to make your ganks and presence in team fights felt, as well as providing extra synergy with your other abilities. Finally, your ultimate is a large area stun with great base damage. It applies your passive in an AOE to multiple targets, allowing for a second application of your w and e, as well as providing a gap closer once your q is on cd.

Sej's kit is an excellent example of synergy for the following reasons: the kit provides numerous slows, dashes, and ranged stuns which allow a close combat melee champion to get into a fight and do significant damage. Her single target damage is fairly low, but her aoe damage is exceptionally high compared to other tank champions, and with her cc she can make herself the focus of the enemy team despite her perceived lack of damage output, which works well for a tank (if they ignore you it helps that you do a ton of aoe damage, and you can easily wittle down the entire team like a singed). Her kit provides multiple ways to apply her passive to multiple targets, and highly rewards well placed skill shots. Finally, this passive works wonderfully with her backstory, which is all about being from the frozen North and blizzards, and enables her to work very well with other champions i.e. Anivia/Ashe with similar kits (They all apply frost, meaning that only one person on the team actually needs to land an ability before everyone can capitalize on it). When you are designing champions try to take all this into account. Sej's base damage values are laughably small, and she's very unpopular becuase people don't usually think about maxing the synergy you get from her kit, or the synergy you can bring to a team with her. I played w/ a ~1700 elo jungler once who mained sej, had over 15 wins on her in ranked and 0 losses. If you can think of ways to make your champion rewarding to play at a high level, and ways to make them bring a lot of benefit to a team, they can be deceptively overpowered without ever getting nerfed (think of how hard froggen carries w/ anivia, yet she's never been touched). It's also a good way to add a ton of utility to your champion, and reward skillful play; if you find that your champion is underpowered try adding some synergy.

And I'll throw you a bone: When I'm designing a champion, what kinds of abilities would provide the best synergy for a champion? This could be in a number of different roles; how does this benefit carry type champs over support types? Should I focus on self synergy more or team synergy? What forms of synergy work best for which roles?