Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Swain, the Master Tactician

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zomgsauceplz

10-14-2010

This guide is kind of all over the place, I'm just trying to relate my experience with this champion to you, the players who haven't played Swain yet. Read the whole thing, however, and I think you will gain a ton of insight into how to play Swain, the Master Tactician.

Swain can definitely be a beast, but you have to play it safe. As his attack power is pretty low, just try to last hit the minions as well as you can, but farming will become rather easy once you acquire his ultimate. All you really need to do is activate it, and even though it will drain ALOT of mana in the beginning, when your mana is relatively low, you can still get a good 2 or 3 minion waves out of it before you have to either wait for mana to regen, or head back to the summoner platform, as I like to use teleport, I usually opt for the second option and teleport back quickly. Although this tactic works great for farming, never stay in raven form for more than 5-6 seconds just for minions, anything more and it begins to waste too much mana.

Don't get me wrong, however, don't read this guide and think that Swain is going to be some beastly DPS carry, he can certainly hold his own in the beginning, but as I've read somebody mention before, it's a waste to go mid with him first, your
potentially slowing down a real carry. Second, his skills will help your lane partner out alot, for both offense and defense, especially if your partner has no stun or slow himself. So yes, Swain is a support character, but he has alot of potential, and you will still get plenty of kills.

I should mention his passive: 250% mana regen for 5 secs everytime you kill anything with swain, so if you can get a few last hits in now and then, you can pretty much endlessly regenerate your mana without ever buying a single regeneration item.

Ok anyway, time to get to the meat and potatoes of swain, what order to get the skills and how to build his items. Here is the skill set list that I use to good effect:

Nevermore
Decrepify
Torment
Decrepify
Decrepify
Ravenous Flock
Torment
Torment
Decrepify
Torment
Ravenous Flock
Decrepify
Torment
Nevermore
Nevermore
Ravenous Flock
Nevermore
Nevermore

Ok my justification for only getting level 1 Nevermore in the beginning and then maxing all his other skills first is this: right at level 1 Nevermore has a 2 second root, the spell never increases the amount of this root at higher levels, only reduces the cooldown and increases damage, but not by enough, you will do much more damage with Decrepify and Torment. All you really need to do once you hit level 6, or even level 4-5, you cast Nevermore to root your opponent, then quickly hit them with a Torment, then Decrepify, then just auto attack (or activate Ravenous Flock first if you have it). this deals a large amount of damage in itself, but it will also greatly slow your target, allowing any of your allies to also jump up on that. You cast Torment first because it causes the rest of swains subsequent attacks to deal more damage. And also you want to make sure you get them with it, because swain is pretty slow, and once Decrepify ends, the enemy can usually run away pretty easily, and the damage over time of Torment can pick them off.

Now to the items:

Doran's Ring
Boots of Speed
Rylai's Crystal Staff
Sorcerer's Shoes / Boots of Swiftness
Archangel's Staff / Lich Bane
Zhonya's Ring

You could get the archangel's staff or the Lich bane before getting rylais, but I prefer the extra health early to mid game, because it will give you much more sustainability in a fight, then again, getting the staff/bane first will give you a much larger mana pool to sustain your ultimate ability, which spell vamps and dishes out damage the whole time you have it toggled. Personally, I prefer getting boots of swiftness and lich bane over the other 2 items, but situations are always different, its just that Swain is slow, like really slow, he needs all the speed he can get, especially so he can keep up in Raven form, even though you have a root, and a spell to slow the enemy, half the time they get away anyway, because Swain was simply too slow to keep up.

Anyway, this is my first guide, hope you enjoy it, and I'm always open to suggestions for tweaks or outright changes.

Zomgsauceplz

10-16-2010

I would like some feedback, please.

Corathan

10-16-2010

Drop Dorans Ring from the list, ive found it doesnt help. Instead, I go this way.

Boots of Speed-Boots of Mobility
Nashors Tooth
Rylais Crystal Staff
Lich Bane
Zhonyas Ring
Void Staff

Does it seem wierd? Yep, does it work? Well, it does for me.

Also, I sometimes drop the Void Staff for a second Nashors Tooth. Fun times.