Lorecrafting AMA

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moby the White

12-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicopnas View Post
Hey Moby, great topic, man. I am a fellow summoner from Brazil and designed this champion, would love if you could take a look and give me your feedback.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ighlight=emily

thanks a lot.

Nicolas
wrong thread if you want me to perform a review for you you should ask in Moby the White's stuff and other stuff.

Doc Swiss

12-23-2012

Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion on using official characters in lore for original characters?

Moby the White

12-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Swiss View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion on using official characters in lore for original characters?
Here is the problem with this. We are typically telling a story about our champion yes? So it needs to be about our champion. If we make the story revolve around how so and so saved our character and entered them into the league we really feel like our character lacks depth. However, if you take a look at Krane the Starcrossed Warrior, I managed to execute this quite efficiently with the involvement of Soraka and Irelia. I also do this again with Irelia when I made Zelos the Frozen Lance. In both these examples I center the story around the champion that I am making rather than around the person that links them to the league. Because think about it. Who wants to read lore about Irelia? If I did, I would go read Irelia's lore right? So when the reader comes to read about your champion, your lore should reflect this and revolve around your champion.

Still Eternity

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby the White View Post
Here is the problem with this. We are typically telling a story about our champion yes? So it needs to be about our champion. If we make the story revolve around how so and so saved our character and entered them into the league we really feel like our character lacks depth. However, if you take a look at Krane the Starcrossed Warrior, I managed to execute this quite efficiently with the involvement of Soraka and Irelia. I also do this again with Irelia when I made Zelos the Frozen Lance. In both these examples I center the story around the champion that I am making rather than around the person that links them to the league. Because think about it. Who wants to read lore about Irelia? If I did, I would go read Irelia's lore right? So when the reader comes to read about your champion, your lore should reflect this and revolve around your champion.
This quote in particular has inspired me. I'm going to have to remake my Champion's lore for the January MCCC all over again. I think I have what I want down, but I need to make it more about how my champion fits and less about the greater scheme.

I will be looking at those lores you've mentioned to get a better idea. Scumming through all these links was worthwhile indeed.

EDIT: I'll ask a question so as to mayhaps keep the thread alive. What do you take inspiration from when you create a Champion's lore? Say you have your champion concept; you know what they are, but you do not know their story just yet. What process would you use to crack that open?

Moby the White

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Eternity View Post
This quote in particular has inspired me. I'm going to have to remake my Champion's lore for the January MCCC all over again. I think I have what I want down, but I need to make it more about how my champion fits and less about the greater scheme.

I will be looking at those lores you've mentioned to get a better idea. Scumming through all these links was worthwhile indeed.

EDIT: I'll ask a question so as to mayhaps keep the thread alive. What do you take inspiration from when you create a Champion's lore? Say you have your champion concept; you know what they are, but you do not know their story just yet. What process would you use to crack that open?
Well usually it just comes to me, I tend to be fairly creative with ideas and things generally spring to me. I like to come up with new concepts and ideas, twist old stories into new ones. Examples of doing that are within my little red riding hood characters. I also try to invoke an emotional response in my reader like I did with Krane, and that was a totally original story concept for me-touching areas I've never written about before. I think about how can I break new grounds and establish a new idea when I write. I think what do I want my person to be like. See the most important aspect of your concept is your tone. The tone right away establishes the personality of your champion. I feel that by creating a personality for your champion you make your readers interested. And you can do this several ways. Mainly by creating a scenic atmosphere where the adjectives and adverbs that you use to describe what is occuring create the same type of feeling that you want your character to portray. Imagine for an instance that your character is a dark menacing brute. Would you describe the setting around him in a bright, shining, ambient fashion? Or rather would you cast him among a forboding darkness that covers a black horizon casting shadows across a barren wasteland? More than likely you go with the darker setting. So I feel that you really have to reflect the concept within your lore. It may sound cheesy but in order to describe a firecaster I would more than likely use fiery descriptive words. e.g. "With an anger that burned through his soul." etc etc. I have a natural talent that when I write stuff flows out of me and doesn't stop until I've completed the work. I write loads of poetry too so it comes from that too. My creativity is some times a curse because sometimes it never stops. I hear rhymes in my head like a whirlwind of words bashing and thrashing about and all of them wanting to be read. That's how I get my stuff.

IsonofOdin

01-22-2013

How can one join the Lorecrafters?

BergMeister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsonofOdin View Post
offer your services? I don't believe theres really an induction to anything on the forums except maybe council

Moby the White

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsonofOdin View Post
Lorecrafters is a term that I use for anyone that crafts lore as their specialty. If you want to be a Lorecrafter than become specialized in your trade. Practice your lore and constantly strive to WANT to get better. That is all lorecrafters are. People who constantly strive to get better at doing what they love writing lore.

Hesperion45

02-08-2013

Ok. I've got me lore. It's awesome. It's fantabulous. It hits every heartstring you got, and you'll grow some more just so those can get hit by this beautiful lore too. Adventure, love, heartbreak, tragedy, redemption, hope, it's all there. Hell, why is this lore in League of LoL when I could write this as a book and make millions and be the next JKR? Screw it; I want my awesome LoL character, that's why.

Anyway, I've got this awesome lore...

But nowhere did I make it fit into the actual lore of the League.

/insert expletive here/

So, how do we fix this? Obviously this won't happen all the time, but sometimes when we create a character, we begin with an archetype, or our abilities dictate an archetype group that we pick from. How, then, do we write our lore as such that it fits with all the canon lore of the actual game?

For example:

I want a Roman Legionnaire (BTW, where the hell IS the legionnaire in this game?) Do you go the route of a lost civilization, with him misplaced in time? A sub sect of the Rakkor with fewer mystical weapons, so they had to rely on superior massed infantry? Hell, summoned one from another plane? (That’s bad actually. scratch that last one)

Each has their own pros and cons. A lost civilization might not interfere with canon lore, but it also is really hard to create convincing lore for, whereas a sub sect of the Rakkor provides a lot of material for you to work with, but how much canon can you bend before it breaks?

How do you choose what to do?

Let's get trickier. How about something that harder than just saying "oh, he's Rakkor!" or "oh, he's from Shurima!"

Imma use, say, Lord Soth from the Dragonlance novels as my inspiration.

Basic rundown: a once proud knight, one day he went mad and slew his whole family. Now, he's cursed to haunt his castle forever, and be tormented by his family's dying screams every night.

Obviously, we change some things up to not blatantly rip off the work of Weis and Hickman, but we've got our story. Our new knight (let's call him lord Tosh) is probably Demacian given their ideals and how that matches up with what we want. The problem is, where in Demacia is he from? It needs to be somewhere out of the way, because an old haunted castle just NEEDS to be remote, (seriously, it's in the Geneva Convention) but how do you decide where that is? how do you write a scenario where Demacia doesn't ask "uh, why is lord Tosh not at this month’s meeting?" and then bind him to their will when they find out his new lot in life? And suppose we want a little subplot of Noxus wanting Tosh's power for their own? How would we incorporate such little plot elements?

Tl;dr: when we have our character all fleshed out, how do we bend cannon to fit them in without breaking it? Additionally, how do we decide just where in canon to put them in the first place?

Moby the White

02-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesperion45 View Post
Ok. I've got me lore. It's awesome. It's fantabulous. It hits every heartstring you got, and you'll grow some more just so those can get hit by this beautiful lore too. Adventure, love, heartbreak, tragedy, redemption, hope, it's all there. Hell, why is this lore in League of LoL when I could write this as a book and make millions and be the next JKR? Screw it; I want my awesome LoL character, that's why.

Anyway, I've got this awesome lore...

But nowhere did I make it fit into the actual lore of the League.

/insert expletive here/

So, how do we fix this? Obviously this won't happen all the time, but sometimes when we create a character, we begin with an archetype, or our abilities dictate an archetype group that we pick from. How, then, do we write our lore as such that it fits with all the canon lore of the actual game?

For example:

I want a Roman Legionnaire (BTW, where the hell IS the legionnaire in this game?) Do you go the route of a lost civilization, with him misplaced in time? A sub sect of the Rakkor with fewer mystical weapons, so they had to rely on superior massed infantry? Hell, summoned one from another plane? (Thatís bad actually. scratch that last one)

Each has their own pros and cons. A lost civilization might not interfere with canon lore, but it also is really hard to create convincing lore for, whereas a sub sect of the Rakkor provides a lot of material for you to work with, but how much canon can you bend before it breaks?

How do you choose what to do?

Let's get trickier. How about something that harder than just saying "oh, he's Rakkor!" or "oh, he's from Shurima!"

Imma use, say, Lord Soth from the Dragonlance novels as my inspiration.

Basic rundown: a once proud knight, one day he went mad and slew his whole family. Now, he's cursed to haunt his castle forever, and be tormented by his family's dying screams every night.

Obviously, we change some things up to not blatantly rip off the work of Weis and Hickman, but we've got our story. Our new knight (let's call him lord Tosh) is probably Demacian given their ideals and how that matches up with what we want. The problem is, where in Demacia is he from? It needs to be somewhere out of the way, because an old haunted castle just NEEDS to be remote, (seriously, it's in the Geneva Convention) but how do you decide where that is? how do you write a scenario where Demacia doesn't ask "uh, why is lord Tosh not at this monthís meeting?" and then bind him to their will when they find out his new lot in life? And suppose we want a little subplot of Noxus wanting Tosh's power for their own? How would we incorporate such little plot elements?

Tl;dr: when we have our character all fleshed out, how do we bend cannon to fit them in without breaking it? Additionally, how do we decide just where in canon to put them in the first place?
great questions and I have a good answer for this. But don't have the time to type it all out currently. I will gladly answer your question later today so please check back later tonight. Currently about to go to sleep.