Lorecrafting AMA

1234567 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moby the White

12-21-2012

I think I need a Lorecrafting Workshop where I teach people about special hidden things you can use like em-dashes and transitions. For example, conjunctive adverbs such as: however, therefore, moreover, in addition, furthermore. And other neat tools

Moby the White

12-21-2012

added a question that gives a little bit about me so that readers can understand I have some merit

BergMeister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2012

Quote:
Q: I possess an exorbitant lexicon and enjoy using ostenatious vernacular. Should I strive for simplicity in converying my lore or is eloquent argot permissable?
The scary part is that an art major understood that.

Moby the White

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergMeister View Post
The scary part is that an art major understood that.
damn hippotomonstrosesquipedalians >.<

Moby the White

12-22-2012

sup

Chamenas

12-22-2012

I was going to ask why my lore was the shizz, but realized it's not really an appropriate question for the topic! :-P

Moby the White

12-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamenas View Post
I was going to ask why my lore was the shizz, but realized it's not really an appropriate question for the topic! :-P
Actually its an appropriate question...

What makes certain lore better than other lore?

Well one could say that this is purely opinion or one could say that the Author manages to captivate our attention with unique interesting concepts filled with vivid details.

Dzanio

12-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby the White View Post
I think I need a Lorecrafting Workshop where I teach people about special hidden things you can use like em-dashes and transitions. For example, conjunctive adverbs such as: however, therefore, moreover, in addition, furthermore. And other neat tools
YES, the few lores I have bothered to read lack these, and it makes the text/story excessively jumpy.

Moby the White

12-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzanio View Post
YES, the few lores I have bothered to read lack these, and it makes the text/story excessively jumpy.
good deal then...tonight after I review all the lores on your page I shall create a Lore Workshop

Moby the White

12-22-2012

Tonight I will briefly discuss the em-dash or as you so see it "-"

First off what is an Em-dash?

Well to answer that correctly I will avoid answering it altogether and just give you this lovely wiki page I found on Dashes.

Now the dash that I refer to as the Em-dash is technically not in any of my lores. Technically I believe I am using a hyphen or an en-dash. But the specifics of this are besides the point. I am not so strict on Lorecrafters to analyze the length of your dashes primarily I just analyze the usage.

Now allow us to pretend that the dash I utilize is the proper length. What is it that I do with said dash?

Well for one you can have interupted sentences-such as this sentence currently does-that allow your story to continue but at the same time deliver valuable information to the reader in the form of an aside. Commonly writers use a double comma system, much like this sentence does, that elicits an effect quite similar to the dash. To avoid over using commas, a writer can easily replace that previous example with dashes.

Is this all that you can do with said dash?
Well no I've also used them for sudden stops or to create a dramatic pause or ending.

An example of this would be to have the sentence or story elicit an emotional response from the reader like such:

His journey was over, and soon death would claim him-so he thought.

not the best example but it works nonetheless.

Is this all you can do with them? No, you can also have false intros.

Take for example the lore of Zelos which I shall leave unchanged just for the example. I believe it starts out with the words: It is cold.

A dramatic start that could be multiplied just by adding in a dash linking it to the next sentence. why didn't i do this? Because I think i rewrote it a bit and added a sentence on this part not sure but I'll take a gander.

So is that all it can do? To the best of my knowledge no, but I am also out of examples of nifty things you can do with said dash.

1234567 ... 8