Lorecrafting AMA

123456 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Poeta Somnium

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby the White View Post
T_T

maybe its because i don't have starter questions :S
This is why I told you to write starter questions, you aardvark. =P

Quote:
Q: How long should my lore be?

Q: How can I prewrite my lore so that I have a coherent foundation? Is prewriting even worth the time?

Q: How much detail is "too much" detail?

Q: I possess an exorbitant lexicon and enjoy using ostenatious vernacular. Should I strive for simplicity in converying my lore or is eloquent argot permissable?

Q: What topics must I absolutely cover in my lore? Are there exceptions?

Zarkof

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet Ultima View Post
Q: I possess an exorbitant lexicon and enjoy using ostenatious vernacular. Should I strive for simplicity in converying my lore or is eloquent argot permissable?
Damn, get me one of those thesauruses that you use.

Quote:
Q. What if I want to write lots of lore? Should I just put a summary in the champion concept and post the extended lore elsewhere?

Dzanio

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarkof View Post
Wow, argot; I had never come across that word before, and I doubt I ever will again. Will have to see if I can work it into a conversation someday so people think I'm some snooty Frenchman.

Poeta Somnium

12-20-2012

Quote:
Thesauruses are for scrubs!

Just read a lot. ^_^ Read from different periods and styles. Nietzsche, Verne, Jordan, Tolkein, Lovecraft, Twain, L'Amour, Wurtz, McEwen. Read romance novels too. (Seriously). Many of them hearken back to antique dialects and phraseology, and the good ones are pretty accurate about it. (Jude Devereaux's Black Lyon is a good start, so is the Warrior's Woman series by Johanna Lindsey. I don't recommend Nora Roberts; too much smut not enough literature.)

Shakespeare, obviously, is another good source. Even Marquis de Sade evinced beautiful vernacular despite his chosen subject matter. (The 120 Days of Sodom is very richly worded if you have the stomach for the actual content, which I must warn you is very, very graphic. Like, this-book-is-banned-in-more-countries-than-not, graphic.)

And I cannot stress poetry enough; Whitman, Poe, Frost, Eliot, Byron, Stevenson, more Whitman, Pound, Barnes, Goethe, Blake, more Whitman, more Frost, follow it up with more Whitman. Go back even farther; Sophocles, Alighieri, Agathon, Hesiod. You want to see words in action? Want to understand the metaphysical connotations of language itself? Read poetry. Read it until your eyes bleed. Then learn Braille and read some more!

Honestly I don't believe in thesauruses. They're nothing more than a linguistic crutch; most of them don't provide actual definitions alongside the synonyms and therefore don't clearly illustrate the nuances between one word and the other, leading you to believe only that the two words "mean the same thing," which is a bad habit. I am however a lover of dictionaries and encyclopedias; they teach you the true definitions and the history of words, which will stay with you so much longer than a quick synonym you pulled out of a thesaurus in an effort to sound classy on a term paper.

My rule of thumb; if you can read through a whole book without having to chase down a dictionary at least once, that book is waaaaaaay below your reading level and you should pursue more challenging literature. Reading should not just be something to do on an airplane or in the dentist's office; it should be an enriching experience from which you grow as an intellectual being.

Zarkof

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

But I can't read!

Katsuni

12-20-2012

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCM2nEBE0RY
I honestly expected yeu to link to this one instead =P

I CAN'T READ!

Regardless, a question to help yeu get started =3

Q: Which, would yeu say, is the single most important aspect to keep in mind when writing lore?

It's a toughie, but it's pretty open ended so I hope it gives yeu somewhere to start with ^.^

Good luck!

Dzanio

12-20-2012

Read a book, Read a book, Read a Mother F***ing Book?

Moby the White

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCM2nEBE0RY
I honestly expected yeu to link to this one instead =P

I CAN'T READ!

Regardless, a question to help yeu get started =3

Q: Which, would yeu say, is the single most important aspect to keep in mind when writing lore?

It's a toughie, but it's pretty open ended so I hope it gives yeu somewhere to start with ^.^

Good luck!

The most important aspect to keep in mind while writing is obviously first and foremost this:
A.) Always be yourself.

If you are writing something and you aren't holding true to who you really are then you lose a lot of your wow factor. I think maintaining your personality in what you write is what truly gives your story a mood and tone.

The second most important thing is that it is okay to make mistakes and take risks. If you don't try how can you ever succeed? (Unless of course your intention is to not try then congrats you've succeeded.)

Moby the White

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet Ultima View Post
This is why I told you to write starter questions, you aardvark. =P

Quote:
Q: How long should my lore be?
A. Your lore should be long enough to give your reader the information needed to explain the journey necessary that overcomes the crisis and resolves them at their final destination. Which in our case is the Institute of War, the Fields of Justice, etc. This of course is with the exception of Jax who decided to be backasswards. >.< It is okay to have a short lore maybe a paragraph or two. And what makes this acceptable is the content that you put into it. You could have 15 pages of bullspit or you can have one sentence that elicits emotion within the reader. Myself, I would rather have that one sentence and wow the reader.

Q: How can I prewrite my lore so that I have a coherent foundation? Is prewriting even worth the time?
A. This is a bit tricky. Because for me I don't prewrite anything. I just write as it comes to me. The pros of this is that I get fresh inspiration right from my source of creativity ( which never seems to shut up in my case). The cons of this are that these impromptu creations obviously are festering with errors. So prewriting can help avoid errors. Some times writing things twice helps in this aspect.

Now let me address this in another fashion-the aspect of utilizing prewriting, and is it worth it? Well, if you are stuck and can't come up with an idea brainstorming tactics like prewriting are an excellent outlet to get something going. We can't always have our muses running nonstop. So a jump start to that is always useful, in this I would say never forego the idea of prewriting. Because it always has a benefit.

Q: How much detail is "too much" detail?
A. ugh...there is a difference between establishing detail and scenes and going over the top with ambiguous analogies, metaphors, similes, or other forms of poetic styles. Just because I say something like: Such sapphire sea swells silently so smoothly singing sweet sorrow soundly sequestering starlight symphonies. Does not mean it makes sense or that it is an appropriate form of writing how the story is going. I think there is a difference between an adjective and a list of alliteration. Obviously we are going over the top :P

Q: I possess an exorbitant lexicon and enjoy using ostentatious vernacular. Should I strive for simplicity in conveying my lore or is eloquent argot permissible?

A. So you are a hippotomonstrosesquipedalian aye? Well remember your readers have to read this. So if you want to challenge your readers with extensive vocabulary words go for it. But as I always say: KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid. The people on this forum speak various languages and your adept usage of English can baffle them, confuse them, and ultimately lose them. It is up to you. You can go for it, but as they say in Princess Bride "I don't think that means what you think it means." ....Make sure you know what you are saying and not blowing smoke.

Q: What topics must I absolutely cover in my lore? Are there exceptions?
A.Well obviously you need 5 things. Beginning/Introduction, Rising Action, Climax/Crisis Point, Resolving Action, Ending/Conclusion. Without this your lore is without plot. If you want a better example of these you can check out my Lore Creation Tips v1.0 linked on the first page. There are 8 questions on that link that I feel are crucial to answer. Follow this guide and I think you will effectively be able to create a lore that includes everything you need. In summary what I suggest is the following: Name, Setting, Crisis, Strength/Power, Crisis Resolution, League Motivation, Quote.

Also remember if your intro has your character in some backstory and you don't resolve that backstory then you leave your reader without any source of resolution. They have no way to satisfy the plot sequence. An example of this would be in a Lore I read recently where a person was a prankster in the beginning but as he grew older became a gambler. Took a dare to travel to Shadow Isles. Nowhere after this does the lore ever reference being a prankster again. So this was irrelevant information. This is stuff to exclude.
Hope this helps

Moby the White

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzanio View Post
Read a book, Read a book, Read a Mother F***ing Book?
Butterfly in the sky
I can go twice as high
Take a look
Itís in a book
A Reading Rainbow

I can go anywhere
Friends to know
And ways to grow
A Reading Rainbow

I can be anything
Take a look
Itís in a book