Is Riot a good company that listens to customers?

Yes 657 55.49%
No 140 11.82%
Sometimes 387 32.69%
Voters: 1184. You may not vote on this poll

Is Riot a good company?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Agerknux

12-17-2012

I recently graduated in the Business IT field. Learning quality assurance was a huge focus in many of my courses. Quality is very deeply rooted with customer satisfaction. From my personal perspective, Riot has done, and is continuing to do a fantastic job. I know that some projects take a long time to progress because of testing and QA. Others may not know or appreciate it, but Riot is much better than some other companies.

One day I would love to apply for a position at Riot, the company's culture seems like something I would love to be a part of. Sadly I am still fresh in the IT field and need to build more experience and a good portfolio for something Riot to even consider.

Insanity Cow

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMontag View Post
There's one reason why I think Riot is definitely a good company.

Granted, I'm easily Riot's biggest fanboy, so take this with a grain of salt. I've sat in with everyone from the most junior person at the company to the President and watched them make decisions. I've interviewed tons of Rioters about what they do day to day, how they think about problems, and how they've approached some of the toughest challenges we've overcome as a company. I've challenged them about how much value they actually provided players, whether something was a good decision or not. I think I came pretty close to asking them everything a player might ask if they were trying to figure out if Riot is a good company.

One thing stood out throughout that entire process, and it's the reason I love Riot. Every decision, every pixel that gets changed, happens for you guys, the players. In everything we do, we put the player first.

We start almost every presentation at Riot with "We aspire to be the most player-focused company in the world." If someone wants to change something, we ask how it affects the players. If you were a fly in the wall, you'd probably get sick of hearing people ask, "What's best for the player?" We will have crazy heated arguments about what the best outcome of a situation would be for players all day, every day, and I like to think that results in the best outcome more often than it doesn't. It's ingrained in our DNA. If there's a situation that is going to suck, we try to ask how we can make it as good as it can be. If you watched the World Finals, you might've seen the technical difficulties we ran into. We had people in the back asking, how can we make this good for the players that came all this way to see this? It sucks, but how can we make this OK? We bought pizza for everyone. We gave everyone some shwag to apologize for the problems we had. We also promised to fix it for next time (and we did for the Championship, only a few days later).

If we get a piece of really good feedback, we always send it to the right people, and they devour it. We crave all the feedback you guys give us. Ryze, our CEO, responded to a letter from a Korean player the other day upset about item changes. Both Ryze and the President do player support tickets. At the World Championship, Ryze was outside handing out shwag to the people who attended, thanking them for coming and for being such awesome players. The CEO. Shaking hands with players. I don't know any other company where things like that happen as regularly as they do at Riot.

I'm gushing, but let's be real; we're not perfect. We screw up plenty. To me, a "good company" isn't one that never screws up; that's inevitable. It's one that puts the people it serves first. You're our players, you're the people we serve, so you come first.
now if only Nexon

Tetramaster

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorIsLegend View Post
Well, I'd say from the fact everyone who plays League wants a Snowdown Showdown Summoners Rift, but Riot still won't do it... Ehhhh. They are a FINE company. They know marketing, that's for damn sure. But I'm not sure how much they care about anything if it doesn't make them a few more pennies.
Morello commented that we aren't getting a snowdown summoner's rift because they did a graphical overhaul of rift earlier this year.

That overhaul means that the old snowdown map no longer works, and with the pre-season 3 items and such that were being done, the Snowdown Showdown Summoner's Rift Map (AKA, WINTER SUMMONER'S RIFT) was not the highest priority.

I'm fine with that, but it is a bit of a bummer.

Fairhaven

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetramaster View Post
Morello commented that we aren't getting a snowdown summoner's rift because they did a graphical overhaul of rift earlier this year.

That overhaul means that the old snowdown map no longer works, and with the pre-season 3 items and such that were being done, the Snowdown Showdown Summoner's Rift Map (AKA, WINTER SUMMONER'S RIFT) was not the highest priority.

I'm fine with that, but it is a bit of a bummer.
That's definetaly understandable. I think the real question isn't "Is Riot a good company," I think it should be "Is Riot a Big enough company?"

The fact of the matter is, they get so occupied on one thing that they dont have time for a winter event or map which completes Snowdown showdown. Riot should hire more employees, make the staff bigger to acomplish more.

MyosinFlare

12-17-2012

For a long time in season 2, I actually didn't think LoL would last that much longer. It did seem like Riot was intent on just pumping out one week wonder champions and skins as fast as possible before the ship sank.

That changed when they ctually started completely over hauling the game, starting with the graphical update to summoners rift. There has been a lot of effort put into making the game evolve and not go completely stale. There are still some glaring problems they intentionally ignore, but it's minor overall.

The one thing I recommend though, don't just start randomly buying champions with RP purchases. Not because I don't want Riot to have the income, but because you'll enjoy the game a lot more and have less buyers remorse if you play for awhile and have a better understanding of what will give you the most fun from your purchases.

Between my account and giving RP cards as gifts, I've spent about $70 total on LoL. That's slightly higher than what I pay retail for console games. I feel that I have got my money back in fun so far. I never felt pressured to buy RP either.

Good Guy Gordon

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMontag View Post
There's one reason why I think Riot is definitely a good company.

Granted, I'm easily Riot's biggest fanboy, so take this with a grain of salt. I've sat in with everyone from the most junior person at the company to the President and watched them make decisions. I've interviewed tons of Rioters about what they do day to day, how they think about problems, and how they've approached some of the toughest challenges we've overcome as a company. I've challenged them about how much value they actually provided players, whether something was a good decision or not. I think I came pretty close to asking them everything a player might ask if they were trying to figure out if Riot is a good company.

One thing stood out throughout that entire process, and it's the reason I love Riot. Every decision, every pixel that gets changed, happens for you guys, the players. In everything we do, we put the player first.

We start almost every presentation at Riot with "We aspire to be the most player-focused company in the world." If someone wants to change something, we ask how it affects the players. If you were a fly in the wall, you'd probably get sick of hearing people ask, "What's best for the player?" We will have crazy heated arguments about what the best outcome of a situation would be for players all day, every day, and I like to think that results in the best outcome more often than it doesn't. It's ingrained in our DNA. If there's a situation that is going to suck, we try to ask how we can make it as good as it can be. If you watched the World Finals, you might've seen the technical difficulties we ran into. We had people in the back asking, how can we make this good for the players that came all this way to see this? It sucks, but how can we make this OK? We bought pizza for everyone. We gave everyone some shwag to apologize for the problems we had. We also promised to fix it for next time (and we did for the Championship, only a few days later).

If we get a piece of really good feedback, we always send it to the right people, and they devour it. We crave all the feedback you guys give us. Ryze, our CEO, responded to a letter from a Korean player the other day upset about item changes. Both Ryze and the President do player support tickets. At the World Championship, Ryze was outside handing out shwag to the people who attended, thanking them for coming and for being such awesome players. The CEO. Shaking hands with players. I don't know any other company where things like that happen as regularly as they do at Riot.

I'm gushing, but let's be real; we're not perfect. We screw up plenty. To me, a "good company" isn't one that never screws up; that's inevitable. It's one that puts the people it serves first. You're our players, you're the people we serve, so you come first.
too long. did not read.

Sainthobbit

12-17-2012

Well they certainly arent treating Australians well.

/board/showthread.php?p=32315391&posted=1#post32315391

Redskizzers

12-17-2012

Riots an amazing company, especially when you compare them to the other F2P game companies out there. Those guys don't give a **** about players, all they care about is selling some pixels to you so your account will be 'better'. I could walk up to the CEO of riot inc and tell him that I haven't spent a single cent on his game in my entire time playing it and I'm 100% positive that he would still shake my hand with no ill-will and thank me for playing his game.

People bashing Riot always do it for the stupidest reasons. "They nerfed my champion THEY DONT KNOW HOW TO BALANCE" or "I was banned for calling somebody a noob WTF RIOT" or "The community(Read: A handful of people including myself) WANTED this, but riot never gave it to us when we CLEARLY told them to give it to us. Bad company" and they completely miss the good things that riot does.

If anybody here has ever been on the world of warcraft forums, you'd know how lucky you would be to get a blue post on one of your topics. Despite there being a huge (paying) fanbase, they'd NEVER post or talk with their fans. They'd make changes, and damned to those who don't understand/agree with them. Now look at riot forums. Not only are red posts common, they're almost always explaining something, talking pleasantly with the community, answering questions, asking for feedback or trolling (when they get bored).

Riots a great company, and I think other games companies should take a few chapters out of the riot book.

InvictusWolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saíntvicious View Post
Well they certainly arent treating Australians well.

/board/showthread.php?p=32315391&posted=1#post3231539 1
Not entirely true, aus has terrible infrastructure for internet and different rules n regulations. Its not as simple as setting up a server n off ya go.

Worst Joe NA

12-17-2012

Riot is a great company... and compared to Jegax, It is Jesus.