Is Riot a good company that listens to customers?

Yes 659 55.56%
No 140 11.80%
Sometimes 387 32.63%
Voters: 1186. You may not vote on this poll

Is Riot a good company?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

InvictusWolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMontag View Post
There's one reason why I think Riot is definitely a good company.

Granted, I'm easily Riot's biggest fanboy, so take this with a grain of salt. I've sat in with everyone from the most junior person at the company to the President and watched them make decisions. I've interviewed tons of Rioters about what they do day to day, how they think about problems, and how they've approached some of the toughest challenges we've overcome as a company. I've challenged them about how much value they actually provided players, whether something was a good decision or not. I think I came pretty close to asking them everything a player might ask if they were trying to figure out if Riot is a good company.

One thing stood out throughout that entire process, and it's the reason I love Riot. Every decision, every pixel that gets changed, happens for you guys, the players. In everything we do, we put the player first.

We start almost every presentation at Riot with "We aspire to be the most player-focused company in the world." If someone wants to change something, we ask how it affects the players. If you were a fly in the wall, you'd probably get sick of hearing people ask, "What's best for the player?" We will have crazy heated arguments about what the best outcome of a situation would be for players all day, every day, and I like to think that results in the best outcome more often than it doesn't. It's ingrained in our DNA. If there's a situation that is going to suck, we try to ask how we can make it as good as it can be. If you watched the World Finals, you might've seen the technical difficulties we ran into. We had people in the back asking, how can we make this good for the players that came all this way to see this? It sucks, but how can we make this OK? We bought pizza for everyone. We gave everyone some shwag to apologize for the problems we had. We also promised to fix it for next time (and we did for the Championship, only a few days later).

If we get a piece of really good feedback, we always send it to the right people, and they devour it. We crave all the feedback you guys give us. Ryze, our CEO, responded to a letter from a Korean player the other day upset about item changes. Both Ryze and the President do player support tickets. At the World Championship, Ryze was outside handing out shwag to the people who attended, thanking them for coming and for being such awesome players. The CEO. Shaking hands with players. I don't know any other company where things like that happen as regularly as they do at Riot.

I'm gushing, but let's be real; we're not perfect. We screw up plenty. To me, a "good company" isn't one that never screws up; that's inevitable. It's one that puts the people it serves first. You're our players, you're the people we serve, so you come first.
I am seriously hoping some of you guys are coming to pax in aus next year because it would truely be awesome to meet any of you in person. That and I want to brag to all my friends here on the west cost. Absolutely love league and the people who make it all happen!

True Bandito

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-17-2012

Quote:
While I am not involved with game balancing, I can assure you that buffs and nerfs are never "random". We have a team of very skilled players and analysts that take many things into consideration when balancing the game. I hope you appreciate what a complex task it is to balance over 100 champions plus items.
Cleaver stacking--Riot derped big time there. I had lost faith is their so called careful balance in that patch.

SoresuMakashi

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushimkr View Post
wait a sec...
RiotMontag's icon is apocalyptic Brand
Fahrenheit 451 (by Ray Bradbury) is an apocalyptic, dystopian novel. The main character's name is Guy Montag.

Coincidence? I think not...
O_o

Tippick

12-17-2012

Quote:
I'm gushing, but let's be real; we're not perfect. We screw up plenty. To me, a "good company" isn't one that never screws up; that's inevitable. It's one that puts the people it serves first. You're our players, you're the people we serve, so you come first.
I really honestly love every time you post.

bunies

12-17-2012

Quote:
There's one reason why I think Riot is definitely a good company.

Granted, I'm easily Riot's biggest fanboy, so take this with a grain of salt. I've sat in with everyone from the most junior person at the company to the President and watched them make decisions. I've interviewed tons of Rioters about what they do day to day, how they think about problems, and how they've approached some of the toughest challenges we've overcome as a company. I've challenged them about how much value they actually provided players, whether something was a good decision or not. I think I came pretty close to asking them everything a player might ask if they were trying to figure out if Riot is a good company.

One thing stood out throughout that entire process, and it's the reason I love Riot. Every decision, every pixel that gets changed, happens for you guys, the players. In everything we do, we put the player first.

We start almost every presentation at Riot with "We aspire to be the most player-focused company in the world." If someone wants to change something, we ask how it affects the players. If you were a fly in the wall, you'd probably get sick of hearing people ask, "What's best for the player?" We will have crazy heated arguments about what the best outcome of a situation would be for players all day, every day, and I like to think that results in the best outcome more often than it doesn't. It's ingrained in our DNA. If there's a situation that is going to suck, we try to ask how we can make it as good as it can be. If you watched the World Finals, you might've seen the technical difficulties we ran into. We had people in the back asking, how can we make this good for the players that came all this way to see this? It sucks, but how can we make this OK? We bought pizza for everyone. We gave everyone some shwag to apologize for the problems we had. We also promised to fix it for next time (and we did for the Championship, only a few days later).

If we get a piece of really good feedback, we always send it to the right people, and they devour it. We crave all the feedback you guys give us. Ryze, our CEO, responded to a letter from a Korean player the other day upset about item changes. Both Ryze and the President do player support tickets. At the World Championship, Ryze was outside handing out shwag to the people who attended, thanking them for coming and for being such awesome players. The CEO. Shaking hands with players. I don't know any other company where things like that happen as regularly as they do at Riot.

great propaganda man
You have a great future in politics my man

Susskind

12-17-2012

If you guys think Riot is a bad company that doesn't listen to its players, you don't have a clue how good you've got it. We're really blessed that such a great game is also managed by a great company and very respectful group of people.

Fathootz

12-17-2012

No.
Why do you think their game is Free to play?
Because they are into Human Trafficking, Extortion, Blackmail, Drug Trafficking, Illegal Gambling You name it! Riot's got their hands in it.

Noxe Out

Recruiter

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushimkr View Post
wait a sec...
RiotMontag's icon is apocalyptic Brand
Fahrenheit 451 (by Ray Bradbury) is an apocalyptic, dystopian novel. The main character's name is Guy Montag.

Coincidence? I think not...
He's already confirmed that's where the name comes from in a post long ago.

Solaris Eos

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
I think Riot is a great company. I have never worked at a company that encourages player interaction more. We also try to interact with players in meaningful ways. We have open discussions with the community (when the thread has an appropriately constructive tone).

I read dozens of threads every day, and I cannot reply to all of them. Usually it's because I have nothing to contribute to the topic. Sometimes it's because I am in the wrong department to affect that. There are also times when I read a good idea, but I cannot post about it because of non disclosure agreements. Posting about some things may create the false sense that a change is very imminent, when for various reasons it may take time for things to get to the players.

While I am not involved with game balancing, I can assure you that buffs and nerfs are never "random". We have a team of very skilled players and analysts that take many things into consideration when balancing the game. I hope you appreciate what a complex task it is to balance over 100 champions plus items.

In any case, I hope you are enjoying playing the game. I think the best reason to buy skins is because the skin makes you happy. We don't try to make money, we try to create things that players value, and players can reward us by posting about them, telling their friends what they think is cool, playing the game and being a constructive and helpful player, and sometimes even spending some RP on things.. But really, the primary focus is creating value for you as a player. If we create something that you do not find valuable, then we will try to lean better what players want and create something better next time.

If you are wondering about how Riot treats its employees, I can say that I am treated well.

Remember, spending RP is just 1 way you can thank us for doing a good job. I'm happy if you are enjoying yourself and being a nice person in game. If you give tips to other players that's even better! And if you think we're doing a bad job, just make a polite post about it and we'll read it and try to do better (even if we don't post a reply).

Thanks!
I'm glad to hear this. I good friend of mine works at Riot AND he is the one who got me into LoL. In fact, he loves working for Riot that he convinced me to apply for a job, too. I can only hope that someone somewhere in the company finds my resume and deems me a value to the company. Fingers crossed for the day I find out I get an interview! Riot sounds like a dream "job" that I'd be honored to make a career out of!

Fairhaven

12-17-2012

Well, I'd say from the fact everyone who plays League wants a Snowdown Showdown Summoners Rift, but Riot still won't do it... Ehhhh. They are a FINE company. They know marketing, that's for damn sure. But I'm not sure how much they care about anything if it doesn't make them a few more pennies.