An Inquiry about Ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wretched Nymph

12-17-2012

Ok so I have been playing League for about a year now and mostly just played it casually. 5v5 blind pick and whatnot. Lately I've wanted to get into ranked but I've had past experiences with "malicious" players who do not take kindly to "noobs" like myself. Any tips on how I should ease into playing ranked?

NefariousNomad

12-17-2012

Jump in head first. Enjoy the games for what they are... a form of entertainment. As soon as you start caring too much, you'll stop enjoying, and drop in elo like a rock in a pond.

I'm no pro. But the advice I can give is know multiple roles and be flexible.

Nostrama

12-17-2012

yep ^

iDpark

12-17-2012

tell your team your best role and worst role.
Try to learn jungle/support or both.

Have a go-to champion that you are good with, so you can first pick it.
communicate with team in champ select about bans.

Buy all champions up to 4800ip.
Have 3 rune pages, minimum. Ad, AP. Support. (Worst come to worst, use ap rune page for support)
Total amount of runes you need.
Flat Ad marks, Magic Pen marks, Armor Seals, Mr Glyphs, Ms Quints.
Additionally, for support, GP10 Seasl, Armor Marks, Possibly CDR glyphs.

Ronyk

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched Nymph View Post
Ok so I have been playing League for about a year now and mostly just played it casually. 5v5 blind pick and whatnot. Lately I've wanted to get into ranked but I've had past experiences with "malicious" players who do not take kindly to "noobs" like myself. Any tips on how I should ease into playing ranked?
Duo Que with a friend. The harassment isn't as bad when it's only 3 people yelling at you.

Or make a ranked team and play with 4 friends. There really is no "easing into" ranked games.

All Delete

12-18-2012

Always have communication in the champion select lobby. But do know that they themselves may be "noobs" as well. After a year of playing on and off with 2 accounts I just tried my luck at ranked game yesterday. Worst 3 games ever. Sometimes you just cant carry or some games are just impossible.

Id say thats probably one of the first step. Know when the odds are against you.

Wretched Nymph

12-18-2012

Thanks a lot everybody! Always nice to receive a helping hand, unless it's from blitzcrank...

Sileñce

12-18-2012

I got on today to make a post about my ranked experiences.
Dont get demoralized from people yelling at you if you make a mistake, have fun, and play your best.
If you worry about your placement matches being horrible or your elo, you will not have as good of a time, and your elo will go lower. I was worried about my elo in placement matches and dropped to around 900. Got to about 1100 with a duo, then cared if i lost matches, continued to lose. Recently i stopped caring so much and just had fun. I'm now at 1275 and winning most of the matches i play, solo que.
Ranked is just like normal draft pick, but everyone is trying harder and is more high strung. If your relaxed and having fun and farming, you should do good in almost every game, even if you lose the match.
Communication is one of the biggest parts of winning the game, next would be vision control, and global gold. in my opinion.
Goodluck my fellow summoner.

acosn

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched Nymph View Post
Play draft pick first. Get accustomed to picks and counter picks, and what constitutes a common ban.

You're only going to piss people off jumping headfirst into the meta completely blind, and you'll lose as many games because of it as you already are from "legitimate" losses.

Failethe

12-19-2012

To ease into playing ranked, get great at 3+ champions and good with at least 5 champs. Make sure you can play 3 roles very well, and make sure you can play all roles with some degree of skill. So for me, my main champs are amumu, darius, lux, and taric. I am very good with all of them. I am good at ashe, tristana, alistar, nasus, udyr, malphite, and a few more I'm sure. Having the option to switch your picks based upon the bans being done and also upon who is picked is important to being great. Don't discount the power of a counter pick. A teemo will slaughter some heroes top, and kat just makes lux cry. This brings me to another important part of playing ranked - if you don't know what your enemy can do, you are more likely to lose. I recently played against a xin zhao as darius top and got slaughtered simply because I didn't realize how bursty and strong xin is early. I played against a syndra as lux, and before I played the match I looked up syndra's skills on the wiki so I understood what I would have to deal with. Make sure you know what you're against (jungle and lane), so you understand how to deal with it.

And of course, lots of other things are important - warding, building the correct items based on the situation, knowing when to initiate a fight and when to back off, timing on doing dragon, when you can counter jungle, ect...