@Morello, can you explain the design philosophy used for nerfing champions?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bhigtimm

12-19-2012

So does a character's shift in place in the meta (for example Zyra's move from Mid to Support) factor into to how you balance the characters? As a corollary do you find characters that can fulfill multiple roles in the meta (For example Vlad) harder to balance? I ask because it seems like "supports" get nerfed to hell when people play them mid (Lulu), and it seems like top laners have to be op to be viable top, but those characters are flat stupidly overpowered when you stick them somewhere like mid.

Landsknecht

12-19-2012

Hey, Morello this is kind of a small detail, and nothing really major, but something I'd like to have your insight on.

Wukong is my favorite champion in the game, however I feel there is something not quite right with Wukong. I dunno, I think he is alright, but I feel there is something lackluster in his kit. I feel his W has some problems with it. One, is that S stopping and cloning are different, and most people can tell the difference. The other, in team fights W is pretty useless as an escape unless the fight is in the Jungle. Because of the prevalence of AoE damage and slows/cc in most team fights, most times I'm invisible I'm cc'd and cant escape. So I'd propose that there is a small movement speed buff on use of Decoy. Obviously, this might cause him to have too much mobility for a champion and obviously I'm not smart enough to know if this is too much of a buff to him. Also, finally I personally wish that the Clone would not lose aggro on minions. One, it doesn't make sense that the minions could tell the difference, and another, is that it can tell if you S juked out or used Decoy. From what I've heard, is that one of the reasons that W doesn't aggro minions is because that might cause him to be too strong in the jungle and I have to disagree with that. Wukong is already weak in the jungle as is and if you get invaded early, you're pretty much done, and W is his only means of escape/only way to effectively do early pre-6 ganks. Its also on a high CD so I don't see that happening.

Sure, Wukong is alright, but I feel that there can be some buffs to his Decoy. That, or maybe some look at his base health/HP Regen, because from what I remember is that its fairly low compared to most Bruisers.

Lazersaurus

12-19-2012

Can you give us some insight about renekton Cooldowns?,i mean im fine with his kit but his cooldowns are just insane,just compare them to riven,darius,olaf,jax

everyone seems to whine about his passive,but i think the main problem with him is that there is no point in getting fury faster when you can use your abilities once every teamfight

Skias

12-19-2012

Hey morello, I was wondering... What is your opinion on the strange buggy feel of lasthitting with rumbles flamethrower? I feel he's a pretty good mid right now but his auto attack and flame last hit don't feel very good. Also, not to go too far off subject, is there a chance theres a rumble skin in the magic pipeline?

P0NA

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
It'll come, but it's not next.
Morello, we know you hate Vlad. With all of the reworks that will be done to other champions do you think it will leave some champions like Vlad weaker then others?

PootisPoot

12-19-2012

Morello are there any xerath buffs in store for s3??

DanmakuHeaven

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPonder View Post
I said played, past. I stopped a long time ago at Dota 1, with release Huskarr, something like that. I really don't give a **** anymore for Dota.

I used to do so much gold with Lyncan with his wolves, I put them to patrol the neutral and also getting the gold in lane. While ppl were finishing their first big item, I already had madness, MKB and Treads.

I don't know how it is now, but if something is or not is been played at Dota 2. It is most because of the itens. This threads is about nerfs on champions, not to talk about itens. Even more to talk about the OPness itens that Dota has. BKB, imunity to magic, for something like 10 sec, an item that gives you almost 200% life steal. Hard CC on itens, like basher, I dunno if there is Guinso yet at Dota 2.

I played Dota since Medusa had tornado. Dude, as far as I remember, I never saw melee carries in competitive play in Dota, it was always 3 top, 1 mid and 1 bottom. The 3 tops were most of the time champions with stuns and tankers, like Leviathan, Centaur, Sven, etc. In bottom and middle there were an ADC like Drow, Sniper or Nevermore, and a mage with CC or pusher.

that is what you said, and if you do not agree with that you should learn to compose your posts so people can understand what you are trying to tel them,
if you played since (with apparently open end) it means ur still playing.

Mok

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Sure!

Poppy Blue Yordle needs rework badly
K hold the press.
what exactly is it about poppy that needs a rework so badly?
I mean don't get me wrong i definitely don't see her played often but i don't see her do bad at all when she does get played.

perhaps that's just my perception of things and what i've noticed. Even for myself i haven't had any real problems playing as her.

or am i missing something completely obvious like heavy snowball or suck horribly type of champ?

Akava

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

I'm at a loss as to why I can never get an answer to the current feelings to the feast or famine AP assassins such as Akali and LeBlanc. They both share the problem of either they're fed like crazy and force early victories but when they're "on par" or behind they just can't bring enough to the table. Then, no matter what, if it reachs end game, they flat out fall off due to items like GA and tankiness.

Yet it seems the balance team considers that to be an okay spot. Why?

Beef All The Way

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did that happen View Post
man rengar was god mode before the nerf. I agree with that one for sure. I would start long sword with 3 hp pots and pretty much 2 shot 2 people in bot lane every game over and over due to is insane amount of damage he puts outs. Plus if they come into fight me in the bush they are 100% screwed now. I can still do it for the most part he just lots a little bit of power he still just straight up a a beast in the lane. He not that great team fighter tho.

before nerf rengar would die quickly and painfully to lee sin.... after nerf rengar dies quickly and painfully to everyone else too.