@Morello, can you explain the design philosophy used for nerfing champions?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lukiner

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Statikk might be posting more, but let me update on the details that are concerning in a TLDR sense;

Diana: We overnerfed here, agreed. Will fix next patch.

Rengar: We need to tear him down a bit to build him back up - someone earlier in this thread mentioned that he has too many things to be both balanced and fun, and that's the same problem we detect. There will be additional changes next patch.
"Diana: We overnerfed here, agreed. Will fix next patch."
OMG

best news ever

MANLY TEAR OF HAPPINESSES

Bob the bomber

12-19-2012

Anytime we might seem some work on Zed?

DanmakuHeaven

12-19-2012

I think the thread shouldn't be limited to champions, afaik the brutalizer nerf (in terms of the armor pen) was uncalled for, I totally agree with the bc nerf it was definitely OP before, but reducing the brutalizer down to 10 arpen compared to 15before was uncalled for, the item was just fine in S2 and since it is the first item in the tree you will most likely get it early game, thus nerfing quite a few champions early because BC's were OP?

Doesn't make a lot sense to me.

Also who had the idea of buffing wards by giving out a lot for basically free which don't even bear a bounty and then nerfing oracle into ground zero - seems kinda weird to buff an aspect of the game and entirely destroy its counter.

This in conjunction with the harder jungle makes a lot of gang reliant junglers not worth playing at all. Imagine jungling jarvan, his speed is amazingly slow now and he can't gank for jack if people ward, since it is just not worth buying oracles on him anymore.

Just my 2 cents on the game changes

I just don't get it how some of those changes are affecting somewhat huge parts of the gameplay nerfing a lot of champs into unplayability and they just stay forgotten.

PS: Do you know what a sejuani is, never seen her.

Xivarst

12-19-2012

How are the teemo nerfs looking?

DeathBringer7

12-19-2012

Diana overnerfed? WHAT? Time to ban her in ranked again!

I hate you riot.

ninbushido

12-19-2012

BTW just saying, Riot if you're keeping the Grenade for Heimerdinger, give it a QoL buff and SHOW THE RADIUS IN WHICH IT WILL STUN. Like Leona's ultimate. Currently it's one of the most ridiculously unclear skillshots in terms of range display and stuff.

Morello

Lead Designer

12-19-2012
26 of 32 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unR Telekinetic View Post
What about Eve's Glitchy ult, where when you press it, it doesnt go off for a good 3-4 seconds of spamming the button, im actually not sure if its just me, but i tried on smartcast, smartcast w/ indicators, and normal and it does it on all for me...
Not aware of this, bug if it's happening, might be a rarer bug. Will ask.

Morello

Lead Designer

12-19-2012
27 of 32 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokenerd View Post
Hey Morrello, I was just wondering why when you nerfed zyra that the plants weren't hit at all. In my opinion, the plants were and still are the most overpowered/strongest part of her kit, and kinda similar to yorick gouls. My point is, when you nerfed her ap scaling on q,e,r she transitioned primarily to a support where her plants still did all the damage they did in mid, but didn't take up a ap carry's place in the team. I think the problem with the plants is that the only difference between a rank 1 and rank 5 w is cdr, which means that she has 3 abilities maxed at level 13 & 2 at level 9. i would have liked to see damage scaling in the plants, so that if you wanted the zone control you could max them, but if you wanted burst you could leave it to last. maybe something like (+2/3/4/5/6 per level) with an ap ratio of (+0.08/0.11/0.14/0.17/0.20).

thoughts?
The entire design intent of Zyra is to exemplify her plants. In a perfect world, she'd be tuned in favor of CC and plant power, and dialed down on burst and raw mage power. This is the direction I'd like to see the character go.

Godplank

12-19-2012

I believe Gangplank should have a 100% chance to land a crit with Parrrley, Remove Scurvy should heal him 100%, and Cannon Barrage should instantly kill everything that lands within its area of effect. Please make this happen. It would make the game much more balanced. 3 turrets for the Heimster would be nice as well.

Morello

Lead Designer

12-19-2012
28 of 32 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JooMancer View Post
Hey morello. It would be awesome to get your opinion on a few underplayed/rarely seen in tournaments champions. Just a brief "hes fine, should be reworked, we are working on it, working as intended" would be cool for the following:

Nasus
Warwick
Poppy
Tryndamere
Jarvan IV
Fiddlesticks
Veigar
Tristana
Sion

I left out a few we know are being worked (karma, heimer)
Sure!

Nasus [I]Unsure - might have fatal flaws, might just be because overtuned metagolems.[/I

Warwick Actually a pretty good jungler here - not too worried.

Poppy Blue Yordle needs rework badly

Tryndamere A little on the synergy problem, but mostly this is about melee AD. Tryn's kit would e most likely to be good if melee AD were usable.

Karma Being reworked

Ashe Unsure. Might need a bit of love, but not a rework.

Jarvan IV Whoa, this guy's a beast right now. I think he has some design flaws, though.

Fiddlesticks Good jungler now for something different.

Veigar Good at being a burst mage, and has 2 ults (R and W). I don't think he's as bad as people make him out to be.

Tristana Likely needs something, unsure though.

Sion Needs rework.