@Morello, can you explain the design philosophy used for nerfing champions?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yfrappefort

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
He's a big problem to me, because he exemplfies metagolem play - ie either he's straight stronger than you and always wins, or he's weaker than you and does nothing. Irelia and Jax suffer from this too.

It's a bigger issue to me overall, but not as high on the priority list (some others need the design attention first).
What about Teemo then? With all the changes in season 3 and the recent nerfs, I'm afraid Teemo is going to be worst then in season 2. What do you want to do with him anyway? What role should he fill? Should he get a rework?

See more discutions in these two posts :

1. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2899664

2. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ghlight=runaan

RebirthAngel

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yfrappefort View Post
What about Teemo then? With all the changes in season 3 and the recent nerfs, I'm afraid Teemo is going to be worst then in season 2. What do you want to do with him anyway? What role should he fill? Should he get a rework?

my friend just went 12/0 with teemo.... he doenst need a rework xD

Yfrappefort

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebirthAngel View Post
my friend just went 12/0 with teemo.... he doenst need a rework xD
My friend just went 10/0 with Heimer, guess he does not need a rework either.

PutThtCookieDown

12-18-2012

Quote:
Slowing Diana's Q speed, for example, would give us another gameplay lever, and would allow for bigger high moments and bigger windows of vulnerability.
It would make catching someone as Diana almost impossible cause it is already slow as an ass and extremely easy to dodge.

PutThtCookieDown

12-18-2012

Quote:

Teemo's rule is the same and always will be, to annoy the **** out of everyone in the game.

KiteAzure

12-18-2012

Quote:
It depends on the situation and certainty - gradual changes are good for easing a character towards a more nerfed state, while drastic or faster nerfs are needed to solve more severe problems that are having a big impact. This is important because if a few champions are really out of line, they disallow use of any champions who compete with them for a slot on a team.

For Diana and Rengar, I'll be honest - I can't really comment in an informed manner here. The "appropriate force" approach is the overarching balance philosophy. A philosophy won't speak to accuracy (as that lies in execution details), but that's what we're trying to do at least.

Additionally, some of the Diana stuff might have been to fill in for the nerf we'd really like to do but is much tougher; slowing Q's missile speed. I think that would exemplify good Diana gameplay and create more counterplay.
I really hope your still on this form because I was wondering if lowering the missle speed for diana will disable Dianas combo for Q-R which many rely on so much.

VexingRaven

12-18-2012

Quote:
It's not hard, but, for example, you remove the little gameplay that Heimerdinger's E has already - that skill has almost 0 gameplay associated to it at all. In this case, that would buff the character, but then make us feel bad if he ever was popular. Buffs and nerfs, in my mind, are less important than gameplay patterns and play/counter-play between champions.

ASpd slows have one specific purpose - debuff ADC/some fighter damage. If you want a character to do that, then they should lower attack speed. If you don't, then it's superfluous.
Except there are plenty of other "Press to do damage" abilities in the game with less gameplay than Heimer's E on champions that are far better overall.

RebirthAngel

12-18-2012

Quote:
My friend just went 10/0 with Heimer, guess he does not need a rework either.
but unlike teemo, heimy has many weights that makes him more unplayable than teemo

WizzadDeBz

12-18-2012

Morello, I know this is a tad late but as someone who plays Diana quite a bit just wanted to throw my opinion out there (no gold+ elo here, but still have played Diana a lot ever since she came out). I think nerfs were well deserved however it always feels VERY bad to have EVERY SINGLE skill nerfed in one sweep. Between nerfing damage and utility it feels like a heavy hit.

Ever since the beginning I thought the one thing that has needed hit has been her cooldowns (on her ult specifically) A 10 second cd ult doesn't even force you to think very hard about hitting a q or just popping. No decision making really: if you can hit a q fine, if not you'll have your ult back up in 10 secs so why not... So my big concern is why are you nerfing the things that make Diana Diana (her heavy hitting q and passive, her circular pull in, her shield) and not hitting the things that keep her from being the Diana she should be, a heavy hitter with a chance to insta-nuke but if you mess up you pay the price. Add gameplay, don't remove power. MORELLO PLSSSSSSSS.

Conversion Gel

12-18-2012

Morello, I understand that Diana's damage had to be nerfed, but we didnt expect her range to be nerfed aswell. Now Diana must take a couple of steps just to R her target.