@Morello, can you explain the design philosophy used for nerfing champions?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

666AlucarD666

12-18-2012

lol after this nerf Diana ar nothigs , she cant kill a carry oh god , no nerf Darius ult and nerf Diana plz if u going nerf one champion nerf all. ok thanks

Surisis

12-18-2012

Are you naive? They nerf champions so that there is a pool that is not viable, that in turn paves the way for them to be able to sell more champions that will be viable, op, or strong in the future.

IBastardI

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
It depends on the situation and certainty - gradual changes are good for easing a character towards a more nerfed state, while drastic or faster nerfs are needed to solve more severe problems that are having a big impact. This is important because if a few champions are really out of line, they disallow use of any champions who compete with them for a slot on a team.

For Diana and Rengar, I'll be honest - I can't really comment in an informed manner here. The "appropriate force" approach is the overarching balance philosophy. A philosophy won't speak to accuracy (as that lies in execution details), but that's what we're trying to do at least.

Additionally, some of the Diana stuff might have been to fill in for the nerf we'd really like to do but is much tougher; slowing Q's missile speed. I think that would exemplify good Diana gameplay and create more counterplay.
@Morello I would like to give u an idea about how to fix rengar.

Why not creating a 3 sec cooldown for his leap instead of reduding his stats, When i see him doing this leap without cooldown is when i really think he is broken because he looks like bugged or something and leaping like that is so strange.

Eloquid

12-18-2012

I have idea how to fix Rengar. Delete him.

Jungle Rammus

12-18-2012

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulking View Post
I don't know, you did (well, the balance team did) murdered Rammus out of viability, and the new jungle is not helping him at all either.
Yes, we're not always right. I think this is a clear base of where we need to buff.
^ please let this be a sign, Rammus is my favorite champion which I have played 95% of my games with since starting LoL but right now I am coming so close to giving up on him. I beg you riot plz fix da Armodillio. I have actually had some people ask if I was even serious when saying I was going jungle Rammus. I cry ery day X_X

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2884219

Korusho

12-18-2012

Quote:
It's also important to realize that it's not our goal (nor statistically possible!) to have every champion in the top tier picks list. We just want options to be viable, and especially have them be situational or strategy-based.
Would you say that its more a problem with champ designs or their stats/numbers that makes them hard to balance along side everyone else? Or perhaps the current meta? I complain a ****ton about specific champs, (Ezreal, Diana, Ahri, think you see my primary complaint already) but I have to wonder how hard it is to balance champs witht he way the game is now. So many champions, you don't want anyone to fall behind.

Firefly Captain

12-18-2012

Morello, thank you for taking the time to respond to so many people, but I couldn't help but notice that another champion that seems to be in Volibear's situation is Darius.

Darius isn't winning 60% of his games and isn't 1stpick/ban in tournament play, but in most top-lane match-ups he is either simply stronger and will always win lane, or he gets completely shutdown and is useless to his team (other than his dunking chain ). You get pulled and get dunked, or you poke him all day with a ranged champion and destroy him. There seem to be very few skill-dependent match-ups with Darius, which is why a lot of people find him unfun/toxic to the game (hence QQ in GD about him).

I believe you mentioned several months ago that you were looking at possible changes regarding Darius, and I think a lot of my fellow summoners would like to know Riot's views on Darius.

Thank you,
Alex

RoShamPoe

12-18-2012

Just want to weigh in on the fact that Diana's shield orbs do NOT proc in auto attack range. I thought it was a bug as well. I jungled with her yesterday and couldn't get the shield to proc on golem unless I walked directly into the creep.

I play Diana a lot, and I absolutely think that nerfing her was justified. But I do think she was hit a bit hard. She's still viable, but just. Also, she's a champion that is not very good against others like Garen, Darius, Lee Sin, Volibear, etc.

She was seen as OP because she snowballed well and her kit is designed for that. The nerf to her ult range was necessary, especially given its cooldown and synergy with Q. I think nerfing her Q missile speed is unnecessary as it's already a skillshot. Extend the range if that's where we're going. Or, better yet, make her blade glow for half a second before it fires.

I still think that's probably too much tho. She was a strong champion before, but by no means all things to everyone.

iAmCaptainMerlin

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbiter View Post
what about melee carries Morello? dont you think they have it too hard because the existance of Jax simply overshadows every fighter??? (or atleast the 3 melee carries?)
HolyMESS yes. MORELLO..... Please talk to me about jax. If anyone has anykind of sense they dominate as jax. Once he hits 6 and gets a sheen or phage... He's untouchable 1v1 even if I have the upper hand. You can say "have your jungle gank" but my jungle can't keep ganking top to no avail. Jax also has incredible get away potential. He is just... So... Broken. And what's the worst is you can't build against him. You build Armor his ult kills you. Build magic resist and he gets one extra attack item and he wins... Something needs to happen to jax.

RebirthAngel

12-18-2012

Quote:
My apologies - I meant the missiles. That grenade is an awesome skill.
but even with his awesome grenade skills, the massive mana usage on his turrets weighs him down. costs so much for just 2 turretS? is it possible to reduce the cost from 100 mana to like 65? or 60? what happend to the 3 turrets he was able to place down b4? what made u change it? i used to place a turret in a bush (as a really deadly ward) and 2 turrets in lane. can u explain in detail on ur thoughts for any buffs on heimy?