@Morello, can you explain the design philosophy used for nerfing champions?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PootisPoot

12-17-2012

Morello, are there plans for any Xerath buffs soon?? Maybe the anti CC W or the ammo system ult??

Pvt Piledriver

12-17-2012

I've got some thoughts regarding Diana and the recent nerfs that I'd like to hear a red's thoughts on, if I may be favored with such.

I feel like the recent batch of nerfs to Diana are overkill and miss what actually made her too strong. The range nerfs to Q, W, and E should be reverted. Her issue wasn't that her range was too big, and I don't think many would argue such.

I think her major problem is the frequency with which she can go all-in. Maxed, without refresh, her ult has a 15 second cooldown. There's nothing at all punishing about misuse of that; you don't need to carefully pick your engages because your ult might not be up next time when you need it. You can just go balls-out every time you see an opportunity, and you don't give people much of an opening in between. I think increasing the CD of her ultimate if it isn't refreshed would go a long way toward giving her some fair trade-offs.

I think her other major issue is how hard her shield scales. It shields for 155 + 40% AP, effectively 310 + 80% AP, on a 10 second CD before CDR. Say she's got 400 AP. Means she soaks 630 damage every ten seconds, before you factor in her armor and MR. Couple this with her 15 second CD ult, and there's no reason for her to not go balls out constantly. I think reducing the ratio of the shield, either for both parts, or changing it so the first shield scales less hard than the refresh, would be perfectly reasonable. Changing it so the initial shield protects for something like 155 + 25% AP, and the second, 155 + 40 or 45%, would be cool. It would reduce her total tankiness and ability to soak harass while still rewarding aggression and not totally gimp her jungle.

The current range reduction nerfs aren't balancing anything - they're gutting her kit and its ability to function. I'm really dreading this talk of reducing Q's travel speed. It's already pretty slow, and a curved skill shot to boot. I don't think making it harder to hit is the right approach here. Her kit relies on hitting it so she can harass and follow through. If she doesn't, she can't do anything. She NEEDS her Q. I think the approach of making Q shorter range or harder to land is far too binary, and it wouldn't raise her skill cap at all, just make her less fun to play.

PrincessDerpy

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus567 View Post
and her ult doesn't scale with AD.
The last thing the game needs is cross the map ashe ults that eat 1/3rd of someone's HP.

McDestiny

12-17-2012

Having some champs that are not viable is okay. This is especially true in a game with this many champions, this many players, and this much of a competitive scene. As the meta shifts and certain strats or champs become FOTM, I expect certain champions that were strong to be unsuitable. Such is the case for someone like Poppy. Maybe even Heimer.

What makes me angry as a player is when a champion (Diana,Urgot, or Rammus) does have a role that they're good at and they become non-viable simply by being nerfed to uselessness suddenly and without justification for specific changes. Everyone can agree Diana needed a nerf. Instead, she was crippled, and I don't see any plan for dealing with this champ in the future.

The worst part is, it's possible she wasn't over-nerfed. GD may be getting bent out of shape over nothing. It probably is! The problem is that when we consistently see champions get nerfed to uselessness and never get re-addressed, it's hard to give Riot some leeway.

forgottenfables

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerDrool View Post
*snipped to avoid wall of text* suppose the simpler quandary is. What place in balance does responsiveness and ease of use play?
*slow clap* Well put sir, I definitely agree that Ezreal's blink is what makes him consistently chosen above the other carries (since they have dashes, as opposed to a blink) it's unique to him as an ADC, but I feel it's TOO potent and useful on a carry.

VanceStubbs

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedim View Post

Nerfbat killcount so far:

-Gangplank
This statement alone makes that post complete BS...

Noctis Lucis XD

12-17-2012

While everyones complaining about Ad ezreal I'm sitting back melting faces classic style, Ap. Morello, I really appreciate how you calmly take everyones complaining and give a level headed answer. In my opinion, just like ezreal, i think it's the player base attitude towards champions that makes them 'unviable'. I think people here simply need to practice different ways to play champions, try differnt item paths, positions in lanes and practice until you can bring out the 'actual viabilty' people aren't seeing. Like who would've though yi would work well as ap? Tf as ap? All champs are viable, just gotta figure out how guys

Dues Pater

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al3x4ndar View Post
Tryndamere? Any plans to make him playable ever again?
State of GP?
Nasus?

Probably 3 of the weakest champions at the moment because of really weak early game (Nasus not as much as previous 2, Trynd is the worst amongst them).
trynd needs some love from riot and gp needs some qol while nasus even thou morello said they wont do much for him we still have hope

Holynova

12-17-2012

Morello I feel as though ezreal is lacking now, the only thing that makes him viable now is his arcane shift if it wasn't for that he'd be useless is there some change you could do to his w because it's extremely useless atm.

Pawstruck

12-17-2012

Sorry, but the problem with Jax and Darius isn't that they are either steamrolling or doing nothing. Volibear, yes. Those derptards, no. Both of those facerollers can come back from an AWFUL laning phase to absolutely dominate... and it's unbalanced.