@Morello, can you explain the design philosophy used for nerfing champions?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ralik098

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessDerpy View Post
Well now instead of the jungler snowballing top, top snowballs top.

It's an improvement. There isn't much else that can be done, XP/gold gaps create a snowball effect, which is just what happens when you die in lane to your opponent in any lane, not just top. Top is just more vulnerable to it due to being a long solo lane.

Exactly.

There is plenty that can be done, but it would require a rework of the map.

UkyoSonoda

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribblez View Post
Thats pretty much along the lines I was thinking. If anything, this season brought him into a better place, he was looking to have a life again, but then it got taken away. You nerf anyones ult by that much and you are killing the champ. As for toxic shot, thats just an absurd amount of endgame damage that they took away.
Yeah its things like that, that just make me wonder about the thought processes of balancing in this game. Something comes along and a champion that didn't see play often suddenly becomes viable and they get nerfed hard. And most of the time it seems the basis is from the amount of QQ recieved on the forums. Yet champions that appear in almost every game for months straight appear to not even get looked.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-17-2012

@Morello: Can you explain why you nerfed Support AND AP mid Zyra rather than just Support Zyra?

The one who was OP was Support Zyra. Then why screw over the non-OP AP Zyra too?

Xiao Rettousei

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I think, though, we disagree on what viable is. Is Naut unviable? Really? Or is he just not as good as other OP picks? Are teams not utilizing tanks in the jungle now?

Maybe he is weak, sure - but I think there are sleeper hits (and we see this quite a bit) and a certain amount of parroting that makes people assume that a champion is weak without it being weak. A lot of what the team does is thinking about this stuff.
Urgot

timtwins

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-17-2012

I read through this entire thread and I still dont understand why they wont up the damage on heimers rockets. or up the slow on his ult or something. Like a really small change that would make him more viable. It wouldnt have to be huge, just a 5-10 dmg increase in one skill at all ranks. I still don't understand why karmas doesnt just get one extra mantra stack either? would either of those things ruin the game? This is what I don't understand about balancing. Why aren't the champions who riot really believes are weak just buffed ever so slightly so that maybe they are weak but not AS weak?

MeIancholy

12-17-2012

Explain the Kennen attack range nerf?

Al3x4ndar

12-17-2012

Quote:
It depends on the situation and certainty - gradual changes are good for easing a character towards a more nerfed state, while drastic or faster nerfs are needed to solve more severe problems that are having a big impact. This is important because if a few champions are really out of line, they disallow use of any champions who compete with them for a slot on a team.

For Diana and Rengar, I'll be honest - I can't really comment in an informed manner here. The "appropriate force" approach is the overarching balance philosophy. A philosophy won't speak to accuracy (as that lies in execution details), but that's what we're trying to do at least.

Additionally, some of the Diana stuff might have been to fill in for the nerf we'd really like to do but is much tougher; slowing Q's missile speed. I think that would exemplify good Diana gameplay and create more counterplay.
Tryndamere? Any plans to make him playable ever again?
State of GP?
Nasus?

Probably 3 of the weakest champions at the moment because of really weak early game (Nasus not as much as previous 2, Trynd is the worst amongst them).

chickenizgoodz

12-17-2012

Hi Morello, it seems a lot of people are wondering why certain nerfs happen and usually say that its because they are banned or do extremely well in tournament play. I remember that some patch videos explained different buffs/nerfs to champs and was wondering if it stopped it (haven't seen one in a while)

I was wondering if you could provide detailed videos explain nerfs/buffs. Or possibly proposing a voting system to ask the LoL community which nerfs/buffs are best. Or even allowing some players (most likely platinum and diamond) to help Riot's re-work team in choosing a balanced nerf/buff for champs

Grey Wolf

12-17-2012

Quote:
Nah, this thread is actually really rational and good. I'm super happy about the conversations we're having here.
Morello, did I read that you consider Ashe a balanced ranged ADC? If so, what makes her balanced? She seems to suffer from a similar condition as Kog. If she is baby-sat, she can do well but if she isn't she can be a dud. No escape in this era of gap-closers and CC, no steroid, and her ult doesn't scale with AD. I mean, when is the last time you saw an AP Ashe?

Undtoromeso

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus567 View Post
Morello, did I read that you consider Ashe a balanced ranged ADC? If so, what makes her balanced? She seems to suffer from a similar condition as Kog. If she is baby-sat, she can do well but if she isn't she can be a dud. No escape in this era of gap-closers and CC, no steroid, and her ult doesn't scale with AD. I mean, when is the last time you saw an AP Ashe?
Ashe is totally a mislabeled support. Don't believe the ADC hype.