There is no Elo Hell only Elo Home

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JanosWuryon

12-17-2012

So I thought long and hard about this after eating 2 huge losing streaks and tanking my Elo. Sure like most I remember the Afk game and the bad troll games and I wanted to scream out against Elo hell. But after a 2 day break I realized you are at the ELO that you belong at. Consider this

The Elo system is designed to place you at a level where your W-L ratio is 50%. Like all statistical systems with an infinite data set there is no telling how long it will take to reach that equilibrium point but sudffice to say it will happen. So once I dipped to 700 Elo I started to win games again, going 7-1. Then oddly enough I got destroyed quickly giving back the the 7 wins. thus I had reached equillibrium. I was at my Elo Home

At that point I had an epiphany that I was the baddie. Since then I have been playing at a 50-50 rate but always improving. To this end I propose looking at the following points as a road map to finding your way to a better Elo Home.

1. If your response in any pre game screen is anything other than "I'll fill in around what you guys are best at" then you are the Troll. To improve your ELO you need to improve your team. Sure you might be a better mid than the other guy but if he makes a garbage top cause you force the issue then your skills are negated. If hes a good mid and your a good top then its all for the better. And be realistic if you were pro level at any role your elo home would be a much nice one.

2. Mind your own House. I know that absolute troll games happen but if you arent consistantly posting positive KDA's based on your role and the flow of the game then you are as big an issue as your team mates. Try really lookng at your numbers. Take out the stats from lopsided games and really look at your true numbers. How many deaths did you take that were on your mistakes. Sure they missed an MIA but really look at the damn map yourself. Do you die early ( your fault) or late ( maybe not your fault). Ive los many a game where I started 5-1 and ended up even or worse in KDA and that isnt all my fault but the games where I stared 0-3 and ended up even certainly were mu fault.

3. Don't play on Tilt. Its as good a rule in LoL as it is in poker. You can't play well when you cant focus. If you want to smash your monitor before the game starts then your probably gonna have a bad game. If you just gotta play dont que up ranked.

4. Let the Wookie Win. or troll in this case. Can you win with a weak Adc/Jungle etc. Yes. Can you win when you fight your troll and he Afk's? absolutely not. Like in point 1. its not worth it to fight the troll cause if no one dodges then your gonna lose. Just play well and hope the troll isnt a feeder. Obviously there are gonna be games where the troll just cant be overcome in game but thats the risk we take in ranked solo.

Ok ive said my peice on this. Can't wait to hear the fo-pro's jump all over this one.

namora

12-17-2012

this post needs a constant bump.

TheRynodawg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

For all the ppl in elo hell that think there good and "omg my KDR's are so good elo should be based off that instead of win/loses" your ****in bad. You gotta realize if ur under 1200 your not good at this game. Once you realize that maybe you can get better. Its all about knowing your bad and thats how you improve. Take your precious ego down a notch.

CLUTCH CALLUM

12-18-2012

Agreed with most points, everything except #2 in the fact that even if you have a poor KDR ratio it could mainly be from the snowball effect of the enemy team getting fed by other players.

Thelohel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

I define elo hell as the escapable elo level at which games are frequently decided based on the misconduct of one or more players. It is an elo range at which games tend to be unfun due to the type of players frequently encountered.

This exists. Do they belong there? Probably. Can they get out? If they get better, sure.

SorryNotNoob

12-18-2012

People also don't realize the extent of witch you are punished per-loss in low elo whenever you play perfect but someone on team DC's/Trolls/Throws. I started 18-2 1308. Doing great in a fine place. getting +10 or more elo per win differing obviously. Then bam i get smacked with 9 AFK/DC 4v5 games in a row solo in ranked. I lost -22elo or more for each of those losses. Pick myself back to 1250 only gaining again +10 or so elo per win. Smacked with another 4 AFK/DC games in a row 4v5. So i get thrown below 1200. Now people call ELO hell. Was this my fault? No, Someone on my team DC'ed or Fed and afked those losses.

So now, at this ELO it really does only get progressively worse. People really do not even understand basics of this game down here. I literally always do well early game but no matter how well you do someone will throw or troll.

You think "ohh its where he belongs why can he not just carry himself back out?" Well here now every loss is -10/-15 every win is only +4/+5..... You start off doing great, Team snowballs. You lose a **** ton of elo because of you having higher odds to win. You start off doing great, carry and faceroll win. You only gain +4/+5 because of you having higher odds to win again. Like this, Every loss i have to win +2 or +3 more games to get back to elo i was at. This only progressively gets worse with every loss because of trolling teams. Witch you are gonna get alot of in this ELO. I find myself now +5 wins than i was yesterday starting and still now -24 ELO than when i started off.

My point being, Yes you probably do belong at that elo. But there really are a few like myself stuck in an endless pit.

EasyEd87

12-18-2012

My Problem with elo hell is that as a mostly support role... I have very little control when my adc with me is complete garbage.. I can play my ass off but if he is a complete idiot its gg.. Its a team game, I dont care how good you are if your team or even one lane throws it you are not gonna win.

JanosWuryon

12-18-2012

The chance of a baddie/afk ruining your game is a reality at any elo. I've lagged out more than once and my team lost. Also its a 50/50 shot for who gets the troll. Reality is I've gotten as many wins from enemy trolls as I have losses so it all works out. Don't get me wrong though I do think riot could solve this issue by autobanning players who afk and forgiving losses for the team but that's another thread. As to the support point u do have an impact by denying opponents kills and keeping your carry alive. Any weak role can cost a team and the support player is no different.