Champion Concept 8: Doran, the Exalted Blacksmith

123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dzanio

12-19-2012

Explanation of Lance Ult Numbers: These come from having a 10 second duration ultimate more than anything else; also I'm ignoring the extra damage the dot deals, and only thinking about the on hit effect (+200 damage and change). His kit has 3 auto attack resets; 2 on the q, one on the e for the lance.

First second of combat: auto attack +q, short pause, second auto attack +second q = 200*4=800 damage
Second second of combat: auto attack +e, auto attack (3*200=600 damage)

Total number of attacks in first 2 seconds of combat = 7; 7/3 (from the aoe on the q) = 2 (round down) say it hits 2 exra targets (not necessarily the same ones each time) during the combo = (2 targets * 2 hits * 200 damage =800 damage). So in the first 2 seconds of a 10 second ult you have done a total of 2200 damage, ignoring the secondary burn damage, which is also high. Note that your cds on this combo are 6 seconds for q, 4 for e. So you do seconds one and two in the reverse order I just said, and if you're really good you can get it off a total of 2.5 times per ult. Average damage output per ult is 2200 damage * 2.5 = 5500. Note that this ignores all the auto attacks you perform between iterations of the combo, and the burn damage. It also ignores the damage that your auto attacks do base, and the fact that physical damage can crit. This is a very lowball estimate for the total damage of your lance ult.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this build includes no CDR items or buffs, just a reasonable amount of attack speed.

EDIT 2: Oh, it also ignores the base damage that the other lance related abilities do as part of the combo.

Dzanio

12-19-2012

A note on the passive: This will mostly be personal oppinion, so take it or leave it.

Most people won't want to constantly sell back equipment through out the game; although there are a couple of items I could see his passive being really nice for, mostly gp10s (this thinking is more along the lines of season 2 than 3). The discount is nice, and a 3000 gold savings would be equivalent to something like a TF passive. However I think most players would be content if you didn't increase the sellback price and instead made the discount global for their team. It inspires a certain comradery. Balancing would be difficult, but it makes the passive seem more meaningful.

Again, this is an oppinion, and you can take it or leave it.

Zektov

12-20-2012

Very nice!

Draginath

12-20-2012

@Dzanio

You make some good points and I can agree with you. I'm probably gonna remove the bonus health from shield because I prefer keeping the resistances on it strong. IT also just seems a little bit like overkill for him to get all these resistances and a bunch of health. That's before even taking Eternal Forge into account.

The Lance is turning out to be my biggest balancing issue (I originally thought it would be the Glaive). I'm probably just gonna nerf either it's base damage or its scaling. I might nerf Fire a little bit too (remove the stacking mechanic).

I'm thinking there is some confusion as to how Skirmish works. It's not like Riven's Q. The player has no control over the second strike. It works more similar to Renekton's W. The second strike immediate follows the first. So Skirmish serves as a single Reset. He performs the combo then attacks again.

Draginath

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzanio View Post
A note on the passive: This will mostly be personal oppinion, so take it or leave it.

Most people won't want to constantly sell back equipment through out the game; although there are a couple of items I could see his passive being really nice for, mostly gp10s (this thinking is more along the lines of season 2 than 3). The discount is nice, and a 3000 gold savings would be equivalent to something like a TF passive. However I think most players would be content if you didn't increase the sellback price and instead made the discount global for their team. It inspires a certain comradery. Balancing would be difficult, but it makes the passive seem more meaningful.

Again, this is an opinion, and you can take it or leave it.
I may consider it, but it is kind of meant to be one of those passives where you either take a lot of advantage of it or you don't. It's not meant to be an integral part of his play unless the player wants it to be. His kit has enough tools to allows for that function.

The problem with it being global is the fact that it just has the potential to be stupidly overpowered even if I took off the resale bonus. The discount alone makes gold go significantly farther than it would otherwise. Every single source of income (kills, Baron, Dragon, etc.) is worth 10% more gold. In conjunction with certain champs, such as Twisted Fate or Gangplank, or items like Gp10s things could get out of hand very quickly.

Still, as I go about making adjustments to some of his numbers and abilities, it might be necessary to bring it back to the global aura model or I might bring in one of the more complex passives back in.

Dzanio

12-20-2012

I actually like the idea of him having multiple ults that can be up simultaneously by changing stances often. I'd give the ult a minimum cd of about 60 seconds before CDR (60/4 = 15 seconds effective cd between any ult, if you spread them out evenly--probably wouldn't happen, but if you use them all together then you still have to wait a while before any are up again), duration closer to 5 seconds, then let players combo to their hearts content.

I think it would add something novel to the league, and also reward players for trying out combos/switching between stances.

Draginath

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzanio View Post
I actually like the idea of him having multiple ults that can be up simultaneously by changing stances often. I'd give the ult a minimum cd of about 60 seconds before CDR (60/4 = 15 seconds effective cd between any ult, if you spread them out evenly--probably wouldn't happen, but if you use them all together then you still have to wait a while before any are up again), duration closer to 5 seconds, then let players combo to their hearts content.

I think it would add something novel to the league, and also reward players for trying out combos/switching between stances.
You'll like my 10th champion concept then.

Draginath

12-22-2012

bump

Conversion Gel

12-22-2012

The passive should only work for Tier 1 items

Draginath

12-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conversion Gel View Post
The passive should only work for Tier 1 items
It'd be next to meaningless if it only applied to tier one items. Not to mention it would no longer serve its intended purpose.

123456 ... 7