Champion Concept 8: Doran, the Exalted Blacksmith

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Draginath

12-16-2012

This has been a concept that I've been excited to share for months now and it may be one of my most radical ideas yet. The idea behind this champion is to create a champ whose abilities and actions completely change based on the person playing them.

Last time, we looked at Flynn, the Trailblazer: A rugged trapper who specializes in field control and uses his myriad of traps and stealth to toy with his opponents. Check him out here:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2840595

8. Effrem Doran, the Exalted Blacksmith (the Legend of the Forge) *****UPDATED 05/10/13*****

Overview:

Doran is a hybrid fighter that specializes in extreme versatility, utilizing a variety of weapons that changes his play style to match the battlefield.

Role: Fighter, Melee, Ranged

Stats:

Health: 1925
Mana: 0
Movement: 350
Armor: 65
Magic Resist: 42
Range: 125-525

Description:

Doran has the appearance of a middle-aged man with light brown hair and a scruff of beard. He wears a blue-green tunic and pants. Doran carries no physical weaponry but wears a set of enchanted rings on his fingers. A silvery blue aura emanates from him. He fights by summoning ethereal weaponry, which shares that silvery blue glow. His default weapon summon is a pair of medium length blades.

Abilities:

Quote:
Armory (Passive): Doran excels at his craft, reducing the cost of all item purchases and increasing gold received from selling items by 10%.
Quote:
Armory (Draft Two): Doran excels at his craft, reducing the cost of all item purchases and increasing gold received from selling items by 5%.
An oddly simple passive for what is to be a pretty complex champion. However, the complexity is in its simplicity. The idea is to give Doran the ability to swap items in the store with much greater ease than other champions, having bonus resell as well as a purchasing discount.

UPDATE: Reduced the discount percentage to bring it a little more in line. The bonus is meant to be more noticeable with more expensive purchases, so this change will keep that same feel without making tier 1 items too easy to come by.

Quote:
Skirmish (Q): On next attack, Doran unleashes a two-strike combo that deals 50/80/110/140/170 (+0.5 per attack damage) physical damage on the first strike and 40/70/100/130/160 (+35% ability power) magic damage on the second strike. After the first strike, Doran weaves 90 degrees around his opponent before attacking the second time. If Doran’s Glaive is summoned, Doran will roll 90 degrees around his opponent instead. [5 second cooldown]
Quote:
Skirmish (Draft Two): Now specifies that the weave roll is 90 degrees counter-clockwise around the target.
Probably my favorite ability of his. It just ties all of his abilities together so well despite being rather simple in concept. The weave mechanic seems like it could set up for some really cool plays by giving him a unique style of mobility. I left the weave direction (right or left) ambiguous because I thought it would be cool if it changed based on his positioning or maybe even be random, increasing the difficulty of its use. Still, in my mind, I generally see him weaving to the right.

UPDATE: Just some clarifications

Quote:
Arsenal (W): Cast once to access the arsenal. Press Q, W, or E to select and summon a weapon for 10 seconds. Doran can only have one weapon summoned at a time. Doran has 5 seconds to choose his weapon and cannot use any other abilities while this ability is active. [6 second cooldown]

Lance (Q): Every 3 basic attacks, Doran performs a sweep that deals 50/70/90/110/130 (+1.0 per bonus attack damage) physical damage to enemies in a cone in front of him. Doran’s Lance sweeps immediately upon summoning.

Shield (W): Doran gains 200/250/300/350/400 health and 65/75/85/95/105 armor and magic resist. Doran deals 70% reduced damage while Shield is active.

Glaive (E): Increases Doran’s range by 400 and his attack speed by 20/25/30/35/40%.
Quote:
Armory (Draft Two): Weapons are now active indefinitely or until swapping them.

Lance: Damage reduced to 40/65/80/95/110 (+0.75 per bonus attack damage) physical damage

Shield (Revamped): Now reduces damage taken by 30/40/50/60/70% and reduces Doran's damage dealt by the same amount.

Glaive: Attack Speed buff removed
This is the ability that makes Doran as versatile as he is.Each weapon wildly changes how he plays from being a fighter to a tank to a ranged champion. It literally allows him to conform to any situation, but at the same time, he can fit to one's personal style.

UPDATE: I took the weapon time limit out simply because the weapon selection system seemed clunky if I kept it. I decided against the TF PAC mechanic simply because Doran needs instant response when choosing his weapon and his choice is a lot more integral to his gameplay than TF's is. The changes to each individual weapon is geared toward getting rid of free stats. If Doran want to focus on or take full advantage of a particular weapon, he now has to gear for it.

Quote:
Artisan (E): (Passive) Increases Doran’s Attack Damage by 15/18/21/24/27 and his Ability Power by 15/30/45/60/75. (Active) Doran’s knowledge of weaponry is unmatched. This ability changes based on Doran’s currently summoned weapon. Cannot be activated if Doran has no active weapon.

Targeted Strike (Lance): Doran exploits his enemy’s weakness, dealing 60/80/100/120/140 (+0.6 per attack damage) physical damage and stunning the target for 1 second. [4 second cooldown]

Ardent Defense (Shield): Doran raises his shields for 1 second, blocking the next enemy ability used against him. [5/4.5/4/3.5/3 second cooldown]

Onslaught (Glaive): Doran hurls his glaive in an arc towards the cursor, dealing 40/60/80/100/120 (+ 0.6 per bonus attack damage) physical damage to enemies it passes through. Enemies take reduced damage when struck multiple times by the glaive, down to 40%. [4 second cooldown, Range: 975]
Quote:
Artisan (Draft Two): Passive removed

Targeted Strike: Stun removed. Now reduces target's armor and magic resistance by 6/7/8/9/10 for 5 seconds, stacking up to 3 times.

Ardent Defense (Revamped):
Doran raises his shield for 1 second, blocking the next basic attack used against him. A successful block causes his next basic attack to stun the target for 0.5 second.
This ability gave me the most trouble. I just couldn't figure out what type of ability I could give him that would remain relevant across all of his weapons. That's when the idea struck me, "why not a different ability based on his weapon?" This ability effectively adds another layer of versatility to Doran's repertoire by giving him a new tool to use in each form.

UPDATE: Again, trying to move away from free stats. Someone brought up that Doran should have more control while in shield form, so I moved the stun from Targeted Strike to Ardent Defense. I revamped Ardent defense as a whole to make it engaging without being completely broken.

Quote:
Eternal Forge (Ultimate): Doran’s rings hold ancient power. Cast once to summon the Eternal Forge. Doran can then choose an element: [20 second cooldown, Radius: 900]

Fire (Q): Power of Fire burns, dealing 100/150/200 (+50% ability power) physical damage to nearby enemies. For 10 seconds after choosing the element of fire, Doran’s basic attacks and abilities ignite targets, dealing 60/100/140 (+0.4 bonus attack damage) magic damage every second for 2 seconds, stacking up to 2 times.

Water (W): Power of Water revitalizes, healing nearby allies for 3/4/5% (+1% per 100 ability power) of their maximum health. For 10 seconds after choosing the element of water, Doran and nearby allies gain 20/25/30% lifesteal and spellvamp.

Earth (E): Power of Earth quakes, knocking up nearby enemy targets. For 10 seconds after choosing the element of earth, Doran pulses every second, slowing nearby enemies by 25/40/55%.

Air (R): Power of Air guides, knocking back nearby enemy units. Enemies closer to Doran are knocked back further. For 10 seconds after choosing the element of Air, Doran’s movement speed is increased by 20/40/60% with nearby allies gaining half of this benefit.

Doran has 5 seconds to choose an element. During this time, he cannot activate any other abilities.
Quote:
Eternal Forge (Draft Two): Cooldown increased to 60/50/40

Fire: Damage over time effect no longer stacks. Scaling increased to 0.6 per attack damage.

Water: Lifesteal/Spellvamp bonus reduced to 10/15/20%.

Earth (revamped): Now roots nearby targets for 1 second upon activation and pulses every 3 seconds to root enemies by 0.5 seconds.
Yet another layer. Instead of a new ability based on weapon, Doran can enhance his summoned weapon with an element. What's really cool is that these elements act different for each weapon. As with his weapons, players might find themselves leaning toward a certain element more than the others based on their play, weapon choice and team composition.

UPDATE: Major change here is to Earth, which has been revamped to make it a little more manageable to deal with. If a target was knocked up by the initial effect, they were pretty much guaranteed a 55% slow for the next 10 seconds unless they blew cooldowns. Now, the ability still keeps that positioning control it was designed for while still letting enemies counteract it. The increase to the cooldown also makes choice more significant.

Quote:
Quips:

Selection: “Time to show my stuff!”
Taunt: “So skill-less!” "Is this the best you can do?"
Joke: “Sure, I could make you a weapon but it will cost *lists a VERY long list of materials*”
Movement: “Watch and learn, Summoner!” “Fluid as the battlefield” “So many weapons…” “Always be aware” “At least make a challenge” Allow me to educate you"
Dance: Doran creates an ethereal flute and plays a lively tune
Quote:
Mechanics Overview:
Doran is designed to be one of the most versatile champions in the league. Each of his weapons completely alters his play by changing the way his abilities interact with each other. Because of this, Doran is capable of filling virtually any slot in nearly any situation. For example, he can use his Glaive to become a fully ranged champion one minute and use his Shield to become a tank the next. As a player, it is up to you to find the role and style that best fits your playstyle.
Quote:

Playing against him:

Doran’s biggest weakness is the fact that he changes so much. He is locked out of entire portions of his skill set at any given time. Learning his weapons and what tools he has available at a given time is key to defeating him.

Skirmish can make Doran tricky to lock down. Always be aware of the direction he will weave so you’re not missing potential damage opportunities.

Doran lacks any real gap closing and his only range requires him to summon his glaive. Taking advantage of this can limit his versatility severely, especially if you can keep him at range.
Quote:
Lore:

The story of the prodigy who lost his ability continues as Doran leaves on a quest to regain his gifts in metallurgy. What he finds is a sets of magical rings that not only restore his skills but grant him more power than he could ever imagine.
Well, there it is. I'm so excited to finally be getting this concept out and am anxiously awaiting your critiques. In a game that can get really homogenzied, I think a champ whose strength lies in versatility is most welcome. Tell me what you think. Until then, cheers.

Next time: Mole, the Menace from Below
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...2#post35197862
A melee assassin who is unique in that he spends most of his time being untargetable, leaving his enemies playing a serious game of "whack-a-mole" (pun intended)

And don't forget to check out my other champions and send me reviews for champs of your own.

Dragi's Champion index
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...5#post32018055

Draginath

12-17-2012

reserved

Seruph

12-18-2012

I like the idea of Doran being a champion in the game that is very cool. I'm liking the idea of a versatile champion. The only thing is his passive. If he is supposed to be able to change weapons it seems to me he would have to be making a LOT of gold. so he would have to excel as a carry. If not just go ahead and give his passive 100% re-sale value. I don't see anything op about changing items at will. in fact having a champ that could do that to fit any situation is pretty novel to me. Perhaps his passive could affect teammates in some way?

here is my latest if you wouldn't mind?
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2907558

Draginath

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seruph View Post
I like the idea of Doran being a champion in the game that is very cool. I'm liking the idea of a versatile champion. The only thing is his passive. If he is supposed to be able to change weapons it seems to me he would have to be making a LOT of gold. so he would have to excel as a carry. If not just go ahead and give his passive 100% re-sale value. I don't see anything op about changing items at will. in fact having a champ that could do that to fit any situation is pretty novel to me. Perhaps his passive could affect teammates in some way?

here is my latest if you wouldn't mind?
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2907558
I considered having it affect teammates in an early incarnation of the ability by having it reduce all purchase costs by 200g.However, that quickly become OP because nearly all consumables are free or close to it. Also, I couldn't justify him having such a powerful passive and keep his kit as versatile as it is.

The idea for the current version is to give him more ease in making use of the shop but not to just swap at will. Why? Because it essentially makes all items free. In most games, players will only be finishing one or two major items. If Doran reaches a certain gold threshold, say Trinity Force, he can buy any item and more from the shop. Sell that Tri-force and buy a Wit's End and Aegis, an atma's or a phage, or any concept of T2 items. This gets even worse if he surpasses the Tri-force threshold.

So, I kept the benefits of being able to get better deals in the shop, but purchases are still meaningful in that you better know what you want. It keeps him versatile but not totally limitless.

Dzanio

12-19-2012

Passive -- Awww, I was hoping for something that would make an all dorans item build work :P; not bad though

Q -- I would like it if you could control the direction of the turn, I feel that would make the ability quite a lot more useful; I'd have it bring up a targeting display like crescent blade (not a skill shot, just to show you where you'd end up) and have it change to hook left or right around targeted oponent depending upon the position of the cursor.

It would help to have a description of what weave does as opposed to roll

W -- Lance will do a phenomenal amout of damage considering he gets two auto attack resets from his q; not sure if it will be overpowered or not

Shield is overpowered; heal 400 damage every 6 seconds, and if not gain it as max health? +105 resist? most regenderative abilities grant a third that amount, and don't have other actives. Futher all other health granting abilities are of that approximate amount, and are champion ultimates. This needs a serious nerf. Cd on this needs to be 20-25 seconds, and the heal amount/health buff should be closer to 200, with the armor/mr buff closer to 50 at max ranks.

glaive -- I'd almost rather have this be some version of vorpal spikes where he gets a line of effect auto attack.

e- stat boosts are really high for an ability with these actives; I'd reduce the ap to 40 at max ranks, and the ad to 20-25 at max ranks. Alternatively granting some % Armor and Mr pen might be nice.

Lance -- It would really help if you started looking at similar abilities to give you an idea of damage and cd; this is Pantheon's Aegis of Zeona, except it has a passive steroid instead of shield, does more damage, scales off AD, and has half the cd and isn't a short range jump. I would make this bonus AD at the least, and double the current cd at max ranks, triple at early ranks. Also consider; he's already got 2 auto attack resets in his q, he doesn't really need another one here.

shield -- LOL OP, most spell shields are on a 20 sec cd at max ranks. 3 is rediculous.

glaive - instead of having people take reduced damage from being struck multiple times I'd just make it so that you regain it once every 8ish seconds, or upon picking up the glaive (sort of like Olaf's axe) damage seems fairly appropriate, but this does have the potential to be overpowered.

Ult -- Q does well over 2000 damage if the ad scaling damage does not crit, OP
W -- % spell vamp/lifesteal values appropriate for season 1; should be 20% at max ranks for season 3(10% rank 1)
E -- AOE of effect?
R -- nice escape mechanism, cd is way too low; something like this should be at least 1 min.

general comment: 20 sec cd, 10 sec duration; will this ever not be up? if so you need to nerf everything considerably (max cdr it literally can always be up). At max ranks cd should be 45 secs-60 secs with some nerfs I think the kit would be balanced for that.

EDIT: The passive is nice, but I'm not sure it would be very good past about mid game, and it's underpowered in lane. Maybe make it global, so your entire team benefits? Would help everyone win early.

Draginath

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzanio View Post
Passive -- Awww, I was hoping for something that would make an all dorans item build work :P; not bad though

Q -- I would like it if you could control the direction of the turn, I feel that would make the ability quite a lot more useful; I'd have it bring up a targeting display like crescent blade (not a skill shot, just to show you where you'd end up) and have it change to hook left or right around targeted oponent depending upon the position of the cursor.

It would help to have a description of what weave does as opposed to roll

W -- Lance will do a phenomenal amout of damage considering he gets two auto attack resets from his q; not sure if it will be overpowered or not

Shield is overpowered; heal 400 damage every 6 seconds, and if not gain it as max health? +105 resist? most regenderative abilities grant a third that amount, and don't have other actives. Futher all other health granting abilities are of that approximate amount, and are champion ultimates. This needs a serious nerf. Cd on this needs to be 20-25 seconds, and the heal amount/health buff should be closer to 200, with the armor/mr buff closer to 50 at max ranks.

glaive -- I'd almost rather have this be some version of vorpal spikes where he gets a line of effect auto attack.

e- stat boosts are really high for an ability with these actives; I'd reduce the ap to 40 at max ranks, and the ad to 20-25 at max ranks. Alternatively granting some % Armor and Mr pen might be nice.

Lance -- It would really help if you started looking at similar abilities to give you an idea of damage and cd; this is Pantheon's Aegis of Zeona, except it has a passive steroid instead of shield, does more damage, scales off AD, and has half the cd and isn't a short range jump. I would make this bonus AD at the least, and double the current cd at max ranks, triple at early ranks. Also consider; he's already got 2 auto attack resets in his q, he doesn't really need another one here.

shield -- LOL OP, most spell shields are on a 20 sec cd at max ranks. 3 is rediculous.

glaive - instead of having people take reduced damage from being struck multiple times I'd just make it so that you regain it once every 8ish seconds, or upon picking up the glaive (sort of like Olaf's axe) damage seems fairly appropriate, but this does have the potential to be overpowered.

Ult -- Q does well over 2000 damage if the ad scaling damage does not crit, OP
W -- % spell vamp/lifesteal values appropriate for season 1; should be 20% at max ranks for season 3(10% rank 1)
E -- AOE of effect?
R -- nice escape mechanism, cd is way too low; something like this should be at least 1 min.

general comment: 20 sec cd, 10 sec duration; will this ever not be up? if so you need to nerf everything considerably (max cdr it literally can always be up). At max ranks cd should be 45 secs-60 secs with some nerfs I think the kit would be balanced for that.

EDIT: The passive is nice, but I'm not sure it would be very good past about mid game, and it's underpowered in lane. Maybe make it global, so your entire team benefits? Would help everyone win early.
Thanks for the critique and as always numbers that I use are more or less arbitrary and designed more to give a sense of what the ability does. Numbers can always be changed.
Now, onto you points:

Passive: In my very first version of the champion I did have it grant a special bonus for each Doran's item equipped as well as had a unique item that built out of all 3. May or may not go back to it. But as I explained in an earlier post, it is designed to give him more of an option to swap out items that most champions do not have. The discount doesn't seems like much until you start actually selling items back.

For example, we'll use Trinity Force again:
- the buying discount allows you to buy it for 3663g (saving 407g).
- You can sell it back for 3234g instead of the usual 2940g (a 294g bonus)
- Taking both of these into account you get an effective 3641g back if you choose to resell Trinity Force. So you only lose out on 429g by reselling it as opposed to 1130g.

That 3641 can then be used to by whatever else and those items are also discounted. So, Doran's gold can go alot farther than other champions. I want smart players to be able to play the item shop in ways that other champions can't. And I think that's a major strength for Doran because it becomes increasingly difficult to build against him especially because he has magical and physical damage elements.

Q: I might consider having him weave in the direction of the cursor, but I'm most likely gonna stick with him weaving to the right in all cases. The ability is supposed to give him consistency in a kit that is constantly changing. The Weave and the Roll are the same thing, just different words used for clarity. Because he's ranged with Glaive, for him to weave around his target would require some serious footwork on his part, so I put a roll in for animation reasons.

W: (Lance) I probably could ease up on the damage a little, but I don't really mind it triggering at the end of Skirmish, considering he'll only be able to do that twice per summon and chaining the summon locks him out of the rest of his kit. (Shield) It's not a heal, it works the same way as Nasus' ult adding that health and him losing it when he swaps weapons.

E: Considering removing the passive all together. (Lance) Again, numbers are arbitrary. . However, I originally had it reduce armor, but that was before I changed his ultimate so I might change it back. (Shield) Meant to be nearly broken. Doran's dealing 90% reduced damage from all sources while his shield is active and he compensates for this by being incredibly difficult to kill. So the comparison to other spell shields is kind of moot. However, I may consider fixing the CD at maybe 6 seconds so he'll have 2 uses per summon instead of 3. (Glaive) Remember that his weapons are ethereal and not physical. He throws the glaive but it doesn't come back to him; it vanishes. I put in the damage reduction because he'll be spamming Onslaught 3 times a summon (more if he chooses to chain summon it). He's resourceless so there needs to be some limit there.

R: (Fire) Not sure where you're getting your number from because he would need 500+ bonus AD to reach those numbers. (Water) I'll probably fix the LS/SV values since the heal is strong enough. (Earth) Yes this is an AoE slow pulsing every second. (Wind) The knockback isn't like Janna's. He only knocks enemies back within the radius. What this means is that enemies in Doran's face will be knock to the edge of the radius, while those at the edge already will be affected minimally.

I'll probably bump his ultimate's CD up to 30-40 seconds since I want all 4 choices to be meaningful and I don't like the idea of them being on different CDs.

MONSTER ZER0

12-19-2012

cool, other than the fact if he had no strong point, he would be a jack of all trades, master of none. He would most likely lose many lanes or be ridiculously op.

Draginath

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Jäger View Post
cool, other than the fact if he had no strong point, he would be a jack of all trades, master of none. He would most likely lose many lanes or be ridiculously op.
Kind of what I'm playing at. He's not meant to be particularly spectacular in any given role just able to fill it adequately. The strength is supposed to come in that versatility, having some sort of answer to almost anything even moderately so. However, as we've seen with champs like Jayce, there's a fine line that needs to be managed.

Dzanio

12-19-2012

A clarification on abilities which augment max health temporarily; I'll use nasus lvl 6 as the example.

Nasus is at 200 hp in lane, dueling w/ someone so he ults. He gains 300 temporary max hp, and 300 hp. He wins the duel without taking any more damage or healing from any other effect. When his ult ends, he's at 500 hp. (Try this)

Max health augments are rather overpowered because they can't be mitigated by ignite or other similar effects, and the health gained from the effect stays after the temporary boost ends (assuming the total would not put them over their lower max health value).

This is the reason riot has only hitherto released such abilities as ultimates, or long duration potions.

Dzanio

12-19-2012

I might also add that mitigating the dps of someone in tank stance is not nearly as frustrating to a tank as the resistances would be to their laning opponent.

12345 ... 7