Reimagining Caitlyn - Need Advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Garthul

12-19-2012

Thanks for the feedback! I added the mechanization because it just seemed so Piltover-ian. I picture it as a city where everyone is benefiting from the advancement of technology, so I wanted that to reflect in her as well. I also did it to remove some of the stripey-ness because as one person said earlier, it was giving off a bit of a 'train engineer' vibe more than a police officer.
I may dial it back a bit and just toss some high-tech goggles on her hat or something. How would you feel if I removed the leg tech and left the arm stuff?

Munkey20

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

I miss her boobs tho...otherwise looks awesome, really like the holmesy look. and random teacups ftw

Garthul

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkey20 View Post
I miss her boobs tho...otherwise looks awesome, really like the holmesy look. and random teacups ftw
Hey, she still has boobs. They're just under her clothes like a normal police officer.

Garthul

12-21-2012

Bump. Help me prove to Riot that Caitlyn is a silly looking champion!

Garthul

01-24-2013

Bump with a Caitlyn & Vi combo sketch.

Sup.

MetalMichael

03-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthul View Post
For some reason I really want to do a piece of art for Piltover characters in celebration of the release of Vi, who I am very excited for.

However, I have encountered a problem, and that is that Caitlyn looks bad. Obviously this is just my opinion, but I don't feel that she meshes with the rest of the Piltover characters. Her art draws off of a sort of old-west/steampunk vibe, whereas both Vi and Jayce are much more high-tech looking (almost cyberpunk), and the cityscape shown in the Vi artwork just doesn't work if you put the current Caitlyn in the foreground.

I'm trying to keep in mind though a piece of advice I got from a much more talented artist, which is that when doing fan-art, you can't add too much of your 'interpretation' into the character, otherwise it just becomes yours, and no longer resembles that which it was intended to represent.
I put together this sketch with some slight redesigns to her outfit while attempting to keep the same general silhouette. I tried to modify her dress slightly to have a more militaristic vibe to it since she's the sheriff, also gave her a badge. I'm not totally happy as I'd prefer the dress to go all the way to her neck and not have the cleavage showing (flirtatiousness doesn't mesh well with her personality or station), but I didn't want to change her too much on the first iteration.

Thoughts? Opinions? What, if anything, would you change about Caitlyn to help her mesh with the newer Piltover champions?

Edit: added second iteration.
Edit: added third iteration.
Edit: added fourth iteration, Holmes.
I like the forth version. Although, the rifle should stay the same. Riot's original rifle seems a lot more alive and magical.

noteventhatgood

03-25-2013

really awesome drawings! I myself always thought one of cait's eyeballs was a little bigger than the other in her splash art

Garthul

06-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMichael View Post
I like the forth version. Although, the rifle should stay the same. Riot's original rifle seems a lot more alive and magical.
I didn't really put a lot of time into the rifle tbh. I did think the old one looked a bit too hokey though, too much steam, not enough punk. Like the rest of her design, it just doesn't match the Piltover presented.