@Hippalus Future of Limited Skin Trade?

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChildsPlay

12-16-2012

Hippalus and General Discussion,

I'll be using this thread to brainstorm limited skin trading methods, but also to hopefully get some feedback from the decision-maker himself, Hippalus. This thread is not meant to spark any debate about limited skin trading. Those naysayers usually say 'But we were there' or some variation of this argument. In either case, since trading has already begun, your point is moot. Secondly, many of us who were there simply didn't buy the skin at the time.

No more 2k upvote threads after December 31.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
To other 2k upvote thread creators, we will be ending this method of gifting/trading skins, and will not be processing any gifts/trades for upvotes after December 31. Achieving 2k upvotes is too much effort and out of the reach of most, and while it has rewarded a few well deserving players, I'd like to focus on solutions which can solve these problems for many more.
With the 2k upvote threads coming to an end, many of us are curious as to what will ultimately replace this method. Most of us are lost in the dark about the issue and your announcement didn't leave us enough time to start a brand new 2k upvote thread this late in the month. Since tons of people still did anyway, it seems people are either becoming desperate or don't know there's a solution coming in 2013.

Help The Real Riggs acquire Striker Ezreal before the deadline by upvoting his thread! http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2872639
Help Glacialwrath obtain Team Spirit Anivia before the deadline by upvoting his thread! http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2844339

Hippalus promises new trade method in 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
I have spent a lot of time trying to develop workable solutions to the limited edition skin "problem" and have very little to show for it so far. There are many issues setting back the idea of a skin auction or trading system. Here are a few: Legal issues in different countries. Hacking risks. Concerns that 5,000+ RP skin prices will piss off more players than it will satisfy. Tech prioritization vs. ideas that will benefit more players. Nothing that can't be solved or mitigated with the right effort, but only if a skin auction becomes the number one priority of a decent number of Rioters, and there are a lot of competing priorities.

That said, I will find a solution to the problem in 2013, one way or another.
Now to analyze a few of the issues Hippalus raised in his above post.

Hacking risks. I don't see this being a huge problem on this game. Quite frankly, I think hacking would decrease if there was an efficient method for trade. Think about it. Black market trades on third party websites make people way more prone to hacking and scams. Now about the 5,000+ RP prices pissing people off. If people don't want to spend more for a skin because it's limited, then that is their choice. Personally, I would never buy a skin for 5,000 RP and most of the 2k upvote threads have shown that people are willing to trade even the most popular limited skins for much, much less. And since Hippalus mentioned auctions, I'd like to add that I prefer trade (skins/RP for limited edition skin) over auctions because they could potentially create a set RP market price for these limited edition skins. Plus, trade should be even more acceptable now that we can gift skins and champions to others.

Here is my idea.

At the core, people just want a way to trade for limited edition skins. So far Hippalus has allowed us to trade any number of skins and/or RP for them. From what I understand, the two problems are that there aren't more Hippaluses to facilitate these trades and there isn't a forum dedicated to limited skin trades. This leads me to think of having a limited skin trade forum section with trade forum moderators to possibly facilitate these trades or at least organize them into a 'Ready to trade' category so Hippalus can do these transactions more efficiently. That would take minimal effort on Riot's part, and would be a big step up from 2k upvote trade threads in General Discussion.

Other great ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhipz View Post
Hippaulus willingly admits that 2,000 upvotes is too great a task, yet he is the one who placed the standard... Obviously decreasing the upvotes is one [obvious] suggestion but I feel he wants something more permanent, so here I go.

I believe in simple solutions. The trade system (for the time being) should resemble a custom game lobby, where you can create rooms and choose your skins as if you're trading cards. There should be an option to add IP and RP in addition to the value of the trade. Before the trade is finalized, a code will be generated and sent to each person's email associated with their account. After both parties retrieve and enter their code, then the trade will be verified and the transaction will be allowed.

Since this will be a new system, there should be certain limitations set in place before Riot is comfortable with making things more complex. Limitations include: only allow trading between 2 people at a time (add 3 or more later), limit the amount of trades a player can make (for example, 1 or 2 trades every month), and lastly the legal issues may take time to resolve in each country, but this system should be released gradually to each country as these legal issues are dealt with.
Thank you for finally addressing this issue, Hippalus. It is appreciated by so many of us! We look forward to seeing your solution in 2013!

So, General Discussion, what are your ideas for the upcoming trade method? What do you think is the best scenario for future limited skin trade?

Please upvote and post! Let's get this seen by Hippalus!

Inclement

12-16-2012

Hippaulus willingly admits that 2,000 upvotes is too great a task, yet he is the one who placed the standard... Obviously decreasing the upvotes is one [obvious] suggestion but I feel he wants something more permanent, so here I go.

I believe in simple solutions. The trade system (for the time being) should resemble a custom game lobby, where you can create rooms and choose your skins as if you're trading cards. There should be an option to add IP and RP in addition to the value of the trade. Before the trade is finalized, a code will be generated and sent to each person's email associated with their account. After both parties retrieve and enter their code, then the trade will be verified and the transaction will be allowed.

Since this will be a new system, there should be certain limitations set in place before Riot is comfortable with making things more complex. Limitations include: only allow trading between 2 people at a time (add 3 or more later), limit the amount of trades a player can make (for example, 1 or 2 trades every month), and lastly the legal issues may take time to resolve in each country, but this system should be released gradually to each country as these legal issues are dealt with.

kainak

12-16-2012

fyi

euw only needs 1000 upvotes!!!!!!!! lol

Vortex

12-16-2012

So what if they implemented a new password creation, where every time you would like to make a trade, you had to put in this brand new password that you made for only trading skins. That way if your account does get hacked, they cant simply take the skins

Quilna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2012

bump

ChildsPlay

12-16-2012

Bump!

Sammym3

12-16-2012

I don't see it being much of a problem at all, personally.

Best Furry NA

12-16-2012

Yeah and no.

1. Thank you for the upvote.

2. The problem is moreso that Hipp has to go through and do manual coding and... With everything else, that gets troublesome.

I do agree with this thread 100%, I also think that they need to make the coding for it more efficient. Find a way to do both, and there they go.

As you did for me, and I shall do for you gladly, +1 and bump. Thank you

~Glacialwrath

Edit: And yes, I do worry for this new "system". I have heard of it briefly, but I am still at my thread (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2844339) trying to desperately get the votes, because quite frankly... I don't know when it will be coming or what it will entail. And the skin means a lot to me.... So, I am among the worried players for this.

ChildsPlay

12-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacialwrath View Post
Edit: And yes, I do worry for this new "system". I have heard of it briefly, but I am still at my thread (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2844339) trying to desperately get the votes, because quite frankly... I don't know when it will be coming or what it will entail. And the skin means a lot to me.... So, I am among the worried players for this.
Exactly! If only I knew this system was coming to an end I would have made an upvote thread sooner!

Inclement

12-16-2012

I updated my original post, take a peek at it

12345 ... 8