There is absolutely no reason at all for there to be Tier 1 and Tier 2 runes.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

playerwinner

12-23-2012

Agreed I wasted some ip on tier 1 and 2.

Tribunal Justice

12-23-2012

Runes are so bad really. I'm surprised they revamped the items (and masteries a second time) rather than fix the runes.

1. Buying tier 1 and 2 runes is a noob trap.
2. You shouldn't be able to buy more than 9 runes or 3 quints of the same kind.
3. The Xmas one should stack ontop of it's relative normal version or be next to it so you don't have to hunt for it or go OCD and delete it. BTW riot won't change one to the other. I asked. I have a single Xmas rune that drives me nuts some days.
4. *Recycling* runes is usually just throwing away good IP. You might be better off trying it early when you can get a 2k rune for two 205 ones with luck. However, you're still just getting completely random runes.
5. Many runes feel bad and others feel over priced. This concern is majorly seen in the energy rune department. These runes have been out for like TWO YEARS and NEVER have been touched.

Honestly tier 1 and 2 runes should be completely free. This way people don't have to buy runes if they don't want to be super competitive and still have good options and can have champions and be casual.

But even more honestly I've seen and made several threads like this and a red has never responded and people really don't seem motivated to care about it. Maybe it's because this game is super casual and a lot of people see tier 2 as the super cheap bargain deal that does plenty at a fraction of the cost.

You have to realize that apparently silver is the top 25% of the entire player base and even there you often see people fail to properly runepage on a regular basis.

jebroni

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-23-2012

I hate the part where you are lv 19 and have 0 runes cuz tier 2 runes suxors and then you face a lv 20 with full tier 3 runes for his lv and die just because of that

Tribunal Justice

12-23-2012

I expanded on your thread and linked back to it here.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2935610

br0ked

12-23-2012

just lock the rune pages until 20... I don't use them... well I bought a few before I realized they were pretty much worthless until lvl 20.

I think not having them makes you learn to play each champ better.. which makes you a better player in the long run..

oPLURo

12-25-2012

bump

OMG Turtle

12-25-2012

Yes and no...

Tier 3 runes at level 1 are equally a noob trap. The reason for tier 1 and 2 runes are so 'noobs' buy them to check them out, while spending 20-30 IP on them. "ooh that MS quint looks cool..." "ah, I don't actually like that... oh ****, I could've almost bought a new champion with that..." 4k for a rune at that level is HUGE. Tier 1 runes ARE worth the money. 15 IP for runes that are half as effective as tier 3 runes isn't all that much (18*15 = 270 IP for a full rune page at level 19 excluding quints) and they are fairly strong.

However, tier 2 are especially worthless.
I think tier 1 should be free, or be refundable in some way. Maybe have rune credits as you level up?
Change it so at level 30 you unlock tier 3 runes and until then you have free tier 1 runes to try around with?

buttkraken

12-25-2012

No i disagree so much. Tier 1 Runes are SOOOOO dirt cheap, and give you a nice little edge in-game. It's a little worthwhile to buy a tier1 rune everytime you level up and get another slot. Atleast until level 20.

oPLURo

12-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribunal Justice View Post
I expanded on your thread and linked back to it here.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2935610
nice read :3

JustBetterOkay

12-25-2012

I've done the math for myself before with extensive testing and if you plan to be able to fill every role (even not counting super specific set ups, like mass attack speed or something) it's more cost effective to buy a hoard of 15 IP Runes and combine them to tier 3 (While keeping good Tier 2 ones until you no longer need them).

I've on more than one occasion had three good Tier 3 runes for various roles on a level 8 account while still buying Champions and having some runes to fill the rest of the page.

Now if you are only going to ever play a single role like ADC with ArmorPen red, Armor yellows, MagRes(or MagResPerlvl) blues and flat AD or ArmorPen Quints, then this doesn't apply to you. But otherwise until you have a good base this is the best IP for value option. Pretty sure I did this mass before they limited you to 3 of each type of Quint and 9 of each type of basic rune as well, meaning it would only be more cost efficient as you'll avoid getting too many duplicates.