There is absolutely no reason at all for there to be Tier 1 and Tier 2 runes.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

oPLURo

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtybv View Post
Some people like being able to use the rune combiner to mass a variety of different runes. Yes, you will probably never get full run pages of the exact rune setup you want unless you spend a ton of ip but 99% of the time the rune will be useful on someone.

"Exact rune set up you want"

LOL WHAT

Jon Carry

12-19-2012

Your self righteous attitude aside, you are also not looking at the benefit of T1 runes holistically.

There are many scenarios where you can easily come out ahead by purchasing T1 runes.

The the cheapest full T1 rune page is 525IP. If we assume that the difference between winning and losing games in terms of IP gain is around 30, these runes would only have to help you win 18 games that you otherwise wouldn't have won to be equal value.

Since T1 runes are 50% the strength of T3 runes, and the alternative is to play with no runes for 20 levels, its very possible to reach this goal.

Discarding these runes via the rune combiner significantly lowers the opportunity cost (though obviously you are at the mercy of chance on this)

This also discounts the "fun" factor of compounding your advantage in games that you do win and feeling less helpless in the games that you lose.

On the gambling point, that user was trying to say that if you have absolutely no runes, the pool of runes that you want is very large. So statistically, it is likely you will get the runes that you want cost effectively by gambling. You just get them in random order and have to calculate the correct point to stop gambling and purchase the runes you need.

DreamLeviathan

12-19-2012

Hrm. Tier 1 runes are probably still a waste and a trap, but they're just... so dirt cheap. I feel like you don't really end up THAT much behind in the end. I guess there's still a line of debate to be had on whether they should exist to begin with though.

Tier 2 runes have way too massive of a price leap for being something that will still be suboptimal and need to be replaced, though. They REALLY need to get rid of those.

NegaStoat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

If tier 1 and tier 2 runes could be upgraded to a tier 3 rune of the exact matching type being traded in, and they offered a 100% IP trade in value of initial cost, the whole system would make sense.

As it stands right now, tier 1 and tier 2 runes a horrible noob trap.

Edit - I'll expand on this. Let's pretend you're a brand new player.

The current system with the player has them earning IP which of course they'll want to blow on filling out their champion roster. Runes really aren't on their mind.

In a revised system where lower level runes could be traded in at 100% of their IP value towards a higher tier rune of the exact same type, brand new players are now encouraged to buy runes and upgrade them as they level. In doing this, they explore the rune system of the game and feel motivated to purchase more rune pages more quickly than they otherwise would.

Riot wouldn't lose any money here. I suspect they would be making more actually.

oPLURo

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamLeviathan View Post
Hrm. Tier 1 runes are probably still a waste and a trap, but they're just... so dirt cheap. I feel like you don't really end up THAT much behind in the end. I guess there's still a line of debate to be had on whether they should exist to begin with though.

Tier 2 runes have way too massive of a price leap for being something that will still be suboptimal and need to be replaced, though. They REALLY need to get rid of those.
All tier 1 runes get replaced in the end, don't you understand that? That's why they are a waste.

Nelson Senpai

12-19-2012

It'd be even better if runes didn't exist at all.

May the down votes begin.

Brightinly

12-19-2012

Those runes are bad, I remember wasting hopelessly IP on them just to get a little more att speed that I didn't need anyways.

Tier 1 and 2 runes are worse than old recommended items.

L1ON

12-19-2012

Complete noob trap, just as bad as chasing Teemo into the bushes. Now that Teemo has been removed, get rid of these runes.

Hyperzoz

12-19-2012

Im lvl30 and 1750 elo and still use tier 2 runes, they are cool ok? leave them alone

DreamLeviathan

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPLURo View Post
All tier 1 runes get replaced in the end, don't you understand that? That's why they are a waste.
I said they're probably a waste. Just that they're not very much of one. However, if eventual replacement means that whatever you bought before is 100% a waste, I hope you've never purchased any form of technology or ever plan to.

That being said, I think there's a valid stance to take that there's not really much of a point in suboptimal runes even existing. Mostly it comes down to the price of runes, though, and the fact that costs on tier 3 runes are probably much too high. If optimal runes were less expensive, there would be absolutely no reason to offer cheaper placeholders.