How do you carry yourself in ranked as a SUPPORT?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RamenBLD

02-14-2013

Hi guys, I currently play ranked and I've noticed my MMR slowly dropping. As the title says, I'm just wondering how I can better carry myself as a support. 2 out of 3 times (maybe more like 4 out of 5), my adc's usually say I'm a "good" (in terms of bronze) support whom "knows" what to do. Although there are games where the adc and I do well in lane, we can still lose in team fights, in which I believe we can't stop the team (change the outcome of the game) from doing things like not focusing on one target, etc,etc...

However, I've seemed to have struggled as a support in carrying bad adc's: ones who don't know how to go for a kill/farm/use the champ correctly. So my question to higher league (elo) supports, what tips do you think you can give me to carry as a support even harder? Or is this something that really is impossible? Thanks.

RamenBLD

02-14-2013

bump

Chourico

02-14-2013

Who do you play?

Voidgolem

02-14-2013

get your ADC really fed.

the dreaded "ADC builds awful garbage when fed" case doesn't happen too often.

Frosthaven

02-14-2013

What I've been doing with thresh is warding the map like crazy and watching for good times to initiate a fight. Oh is that amumu up top while lux is mid and our team is together? PING PING PING - initiate on her. Grats, support just influenced a 5v4 push.

Of course, some games are unwinnable.

The Aviatrix

02-14-2013

I'd like some tips too.
Support is my favorite role (I prefer focusing on harassment rather than CS) but it's quite demotivating when your ADC keeps running INTO max range Nidalee spears. That makes it hard to get them fed, or even just farmed because they can't stay in the lane.

(Note - I play ranked on PBE because I don't feel confident for live yet. I'm silver there, though don't know how it compares to live ranks.)

FiM DitzyDoo

02-14-2013

figured being able to disengage is golden.
Both by your champ and your playstyle.
Lulu, for instance, can Q the enemy team rushing in, ult whatever has been jumped, and polymorph a threat.
Say, Amumu uses his Q to ult your team. Q his team, polymorth while he is still moving into your team so he can't ult.

RamenBLD

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidgolem View Post
get your ADC really fed.

the dreaded "ADC builds awful garbage when fed" case doesn't happen too often.
The problem is how do you get a bad adc fed? I've had times where, for example, I've caught an enemy sona off guard and took her hp down to about 1-1/2 of a bar left, and what do I see? The adc decides to run towards the turret (away from minion wave) and I somehow get left behind. Thanks anyways, but I'm just asking about these 1/3 times I may encounter these bad adc's.

RamenBLD

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiM Ditzy Doo View Post
figured being able to disengage is golden.
Both by your champ and your playstyle.
Lulu, for instance, can Q the enemy team rushing in, ult whatever has been jumped, and polymorph a threat.
Say, Amumu uses his Q to ult your team. Q his team, polymorth while he is still moving into your team so he can't ult.
I somewhat know the playstyles (I think) of the supports I use in ranked. However, I sometimes don't understand how the adc will play. I'm not sure if I can call some "passive" as they somewhat do things like run away on an engage (with us having an upper hand) and come back seconds later after realizing something is happening. (and find me dead)

Teralisan

02-14-2013

you ignore the dribble about supports not being able to do anything but help
and secure that goddamn kill!!
oh
and call for jungler frequently