Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

question from noob to high elo players

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mightymeowth

12-16-2012

here's my lolking

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/23427870#profile

I main taric bot lane and I have done less than 15 ranked matches in my history of LoL, and I have solo queued only a handful of times in normals so these ranked matches I've been doing are my honest-to-god first experiences in any type of solo queue (I recently had the game *click* for me so I'm not a feeder scrub anymore like I used to be).

My question for you guys is:

Are you the guys on the team who try to talk to the other teammates in solo queue ranked when at low ELO? I have been doing this and I get complimented frequently for my efforts, since I have noticed that I always win my lane due to trying to let my teammate know what I'm going to do. Whenever I start a ranked I always tell my adc these exact words:

"hey xxdarkdawgdusky10012, I'm going to start with my stun, armor next, heal at 4. I might get it at 3 if we are getting nuked."

and he will be like

"ok"

and then when we help jungler with blue and get into lane, I will tell them about how I ping. I usually say this, "Hey xxdarkdawgdusky10012, when I ping I'm just letting you know to be on the look-out 'cuz if that adc over-extends I'm going to stun and W them, ok? So keep an eye out."

Generally, the adc has a better understanding of the game than me so they tend to know what's up. I also tell them when my wards are up, when I'm low on mana, etc.

Does the communication really matter, you think? Do you win more games when you communicate? I'm risking it all by supporting solo queue ranked, but I win my lane every single time. I haven't lost bot lane in a very long time.

mightymeowth

12-16-2012

and should I pick up Jax? I'd really like to be able to win 4v5s and carry my team in general. I also want Riven, but Jax seems like a good guy for my ELO so I can get into the 1600's.

Should I level up a Jax and take top/jungle when I'm not supporting? Seems like it'd make the climb out of low ELO a lot easier.

We lost a 4v5 the other day to a Riven who is 5 and 0 in ranked, not many matches played, went like 24 and 6 in our game with only 3 other teammates. It was impressive. I wasn't even mad.

Saruyan

12-16-2012

yes. communication is so important. unless you play with a person so often you just get an instinct of what they're planning, you gotta be on the same page to work correctly.

especially if you're support. probably the most important communication role, besides jungler. but everyone should communicate.

jax is strong, beats riven and can carry at all points of the game.

if you want advice on playing, http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2456561 gives out advice on the forums as well as his in game chat

iplaynida

12-16-2012

Once you get to a higher elo, the things you have said are already understood. We have played all those roles with the champ you picked. We understand if someone steps out, you punish, if we get harrassed, you heal, if your getting out traded, be passive.

It becomes basic knowledge. Ppl would call you out on not doing these things, because not stunning once, could decide if you win the lane or not.

Goochairs

12-16-2012

Talk and communicate as much as you can. Good communication is just a good thing for a 'team' to have anyway, aside from the incredibly obvious factors, it also raises spirits a bit, happier you are, you should play and work better as a team.

If you know you have the better judgement, then just keep talking, civily as possible, be the 'leader'.

Main problem I find people having different opinions, you generally need to have on person calling the shots.

I also just suggest playing someone that will hard carry you late game, or is a champion that will influence all lanes, meaning you're going to roam/gank. Or initiate.

mightymeowth

12-16-2012

Quote:
iplaynida:
Once you get to a higher elo, the things you have said are already understood. We have played all those roles with the champ you picked. We understand if someone steps out, you punish, if we get harrassed, you heal, if your getting out traded, be passive.

It becomes basic knowledge. Ppl would call you out on not doing these things, because not stunning once, could decide if you win the lane or not.

Yes it is very hard to play with a random adc especially when I see them doing risky or dumb things like taking creep damage after a failed initiate and over-extending. I try not to be a commander because I'm a noob, but I'm literally doing more typing than anything in game. I feel like it provides the psychological support that some players need, and it has always helped my ADC every single game.

In my last game, our lowest ELO guy was our jungle rammus, and our mid malz was complaining about him a lot, and me and my ADC just tried to get him to chill. I just told malz, "hey man, he's lowest elo on our team just cut him some slack" and malz carried us a lot so it helped out immensely.

It's very hard because knowing that the low elo jungle rammus couldda thrown it for us meant that everything malz was saying could have been game-breaking in the same way that a failed initiate or failed gank could be.

It's really hard, man. Like I said, I spend more time talking and warding than really doing anything else. I feel like by playing support, I'm literally supporting my team as much as I can. It is nice but sometimes stressful. Anyone can leave, anyone can throw, and I just read that these first 50 matches have the biggest impact on my overall ELO placement. Everything outside of these 50 matches will be a slow climb or a terrifying descent.

iplaynida

12-16-2012

I mean there are a couple things i want to touch on.

First, at your elo, the way you play can really make the difference. These people don't know what they are doing, and most games are lost because they will see your down 10 kills and just straight out give up. Or blame one person, another will rage, and the rest of your loss is spent argueing. So in this sense, yes, your plan works great. (Not to mention, supporting is boring as fck, might as well talk).

2nd. Most of the time i spend my time harassing and trying to make sure the enemy adc has the hardest time possible trying to cs, while protecting my own. I know it prob dosnt make a difference at 1300s, but this will eventually have to stop, and you will need to focus.

3. And its really your first 20-30 games that decide where you get started. But it really dosn't make a difference. You WILL reach the elo of your skill lvl adv. I've played on smurfs, and won 20 games in a row, and went from like 1200 to 1500 in a single night. Its really not that hard. but once you hit your 30 game mark, were looking at 13-15 elo per game.

Whoayeah

12-16-2012

U dont need to write an essay about what ur doing
U can just ping something and hopefully they respond

But yeah its better to communicate like if u wanted to go buy wards u could ping him to fallback and then say buying wards brb

mightymeowth

12-16-2012

You're saying that my harass has to stop, why? I always sit in their bush if they are pushed back and just sit right at the edge waiting for their adc to extend unless it's zyra or lulu (or sometimes nami).

Does this end up being bad later on due to being able to be punished easily? Curious about this, because this kind of spacing is what helps me set up every single kill I get. It's totally crucial to the way I play taric!!

OMG Turtle

12-16-2012

Quote:
theyoungswoopuh:
You're saying that my harass has to stop, why? I always sit in their bush if they are pushed back and just sit right at the edge waiting for their adc to extend unless it's zyra or lulu (or sometimes nami).

Does this end up being bad later on due to being able to be punished easily? Curious about this, because this kind of spacing is what helps me set up every single kill I get. It's totally crucial to the way I play taric!!

I think he means you still need to harass and zone and so forth, but it needs to be far more synced.
Like being in their bush is fine, but they could EASILY catch you out. If it's warded they could bait out your stun, say a Vayne could tumble and condemn you into a wall, double AA you and there goes 50%+ of your health. Combine an ignite, ult of Vayne and a Sona Q, you're dead.
Not saying that what you're doing is bad, it's REALLY good. But it just needs to sync well with your ADC. At low ELO, you can really easily zone and catch out bad play. At higher ELO, it seems a much more fine balance and the enemy team will pounce on mistakes just as quickly as you do.

Either way, the way you play, especially telling people what you do in terms of skilling, is really important low ELO. 90% of ADCs don't know that stuff off the top of their head, so letting them know is good.
Learning how to poke, zone and etc as support is really strong and it's also a universal skill (as in, top/mid/ADC all should learn it and it will help).
I think everyone has been trying to explain that as you get higher ELO sync gets much easier and better, people know every champs abilities and rough CDs so you don't even need to ping and they'll engage or run and such.