IceFrog Controversy.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SallySimple

10-13-2010

On one hand we have Riot denouncing IceFrog in an open letter. On the other side we have Riot deleting any post regarding a Valve employee denouncing him within 5 minutes of it being posted.

While the level of moderation to get them deleted that fast has me impressed, I don't really think these need to be deleted. While I won't post it directly again, I do encourage people to see it as I genuinely feel it should get out there to fans of this genre.

It shows its work and is properly cited - only the hardest core of IceFrog's Fan Boys can deny the clearly shown, step by step evidence presented in it.

For those that are interested, search google for "The Truth About IceFrog" for a blogpost by a Valve Employee coming clean about whats going down. I would post a link, but Riot keeps instantly deleting them for some reason.

EmissaryShadow

Emissary of the League

10-13-2010

actually most are moved and merged into the off topic section

Warscythes

10-13-2010

Check OT.

Siegfryd

10-13-2010

"The truth about IceFrog" just seems like a ton of slander, there's really nothing substantial.

Erichilles

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncasedShadow View Post
actually most are moved and merged into the off topic section
I don't think anybody actually posts things in off-topic, stuff just gets dumped there

cxlo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2010

Too bad the article really isn't completely true. It's got some facts plus some very biased opinions. While you can't call the guy completely honest and creative without him you can argue there would be no LOL today whether you like it or not.

SallySimple

10-13-2010

While understandable it is off topic, that is a rather poor justification granting most of what is posted in GD, no? Anyways, I encourage you all to look into for yourself while the topic is in the lime light. Those that say its slander obviously haven't followed the work shown in the article.

Edit: Also simple untrue. My previous thread is deleted, as in entirely gone.

Personally I think that Riot believing this not to be relevant to this community is definitely not impressive. I must as admit that my respect dropped a few notches that their apparently trying to just ignore it.

cxlo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallySimple View Post
While understandable it is off topic, that is a rather poor justification granting most of what is posted in GD, no? Anyways, I encourage you all to look into for yourself while the topic is in the lime light. Those that say its slander obviously haven't followed the work shown in the article.
If you already chose a side without looking at the big picture then you haven't followed the work that has been done to DOTA. In this day and age people who are successful aren't only the creative ones. People who are good at marketing or are downright evil business sharks get huge bucks too. Reasons why Iwata is the boss man and Miyamoto is below him(even though in reality Iwata has no job without him. Similar scenario sort of.)

IceFrog is one of the "business sharks." And considering hes gotten pretty lucky having had the helm of DOTA for so many years he's got valuable experience. It doesn't matter if he created the game or not. He was in charge of it during the years it had the most success. That is IMO more important than whoever created the game because chances are that person is not going to know what made the game successful. IceFrog probably does.

Saffire

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallySimple View Post
Personally I think that Riot believing this not to be relevant to this community is definitely not impressive. I must as admit that my respect dropped a few notches that their apparently trying to just ignore it.
Well, I don't think it is relevant since what Icefrog does has no bearing on League of Legends. Regardless though, I do want to remind people that the letter on DotA-Allstars is Pendragon's work, not Riot's. Pendragon does not represent Riot in that letter, same as in his current suit to claim the DotA trademark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxlo
If you already chose a side without looking at the big picture then you haven't followed the work that has been done to DOTA. In this day and age people who are successful aren't only the creative ones. People who are good at marketing or are downright evil business sharks get huge bucks too. Reasons why Iwata is the boss man and Miyamoto is below him(even though in reality Iwata has no job without him. Similar scenario sort of.)
Bad example. Miyamoto has deliberately not moved up the corporate ladder in order to keep making games. Even without the title, he's probably got more influence within the company than anyone else; if Miyamoto says he wants to do something, it happens.

It is true that you can make big bucks by being a "business shark", but you'd better have the thick skin to go with it because you're always going to be at the center of criticism.

djudjud14

10-13-2010

so you just believe anything you see on the internet huh??