Graphical fidelity moving forward?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bapplebo

12-15-2012

As 2012 closes, we see the massive difference in quality from the first champion released in 2012, Sejuani, to the last champion, Vi. Polygon count, texture quality, animation quality and particle density has gone up significantly. We have also seen a full map-remake, multiple champion remodels and overall a higher standard than was ever seen previously.

However, you guys obviously know that much more detail can be placed into the game. Things like specular maps, bump / normal maps and advanced shaders are all common in modern games and I think that it would be a shame for LoL to not have any of these.

Obviously, the game needs to run well on older systems and its accessibility with regards to hardware is one of its strong points. That said, with computer hardware and powerful laptops becoming cheaper and cheaper, I think LoL afford to have these advanced graphical options without ostracising users with basic hardware.

What is Riot's plan for graphical fidelity moving into 2013 and are we going to see graphical upgrades besides polygon count and animation / particle quality?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fatzio

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapplebo View Post
As 2012 closes, we see the massive difference in quality from the first champion released in 2012, Sejuani, to the last champion, Vi. Polygon count, texture quality, animation quality and particle density has gone up significantly. We have also seen a full map-remake, multiple champion remodels and overall a higher standard than was ever seen previously.

However, you guys obviously know that much more detail can be placed into the game. Things like specular maps, bump / normal maps and advanced shaders are all common in modern games and I think that it would be a shame for LoL to not have any of these.

Obviously, the game needs to run well on older systems and its accessibility with regards to hardware is one of its strong points. That said, with computer hardware and powerful laptops becoming cheaper and cheaper, I think LoL afford to have these advanced graphical options without ostracising users with basic hardware.

What is Riot's plan for graphical fidelity moving into 2013 and are we going to see graphical upgrades besides polygon count and animation / particle quality?
You answered yourself. They are trying to get the largest audience possible while keeping graphics as good as well. Advanced shaders and specular maps all require high-end graphics cards that the average computer user (me) is not willing to spend money on.

Don't forget also, that adding your suggestions to the game will do several things:
1. They would greatly increase the amount of data that needs to be downloaded before ever playing. It would likely increase load times between games.
2. All these things require more advanced technology on Riot's part. New computers, bigger hard drives, etc. All so that a comparatively few players can play with good graphics.
3. A bigger tech team=more salaries to pay out.

Although it would be nice to see these graphics, it just wouldn't be worth ithe time and money for Riot to implement this kind of technology.