Bursty Snowball champions?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ominous

12-15-2012

What do you think are the best, bursty, snowball champions? Since I personally like Akali & Diana (But don't play Diana much anymore after the massive nerfs) I need to broaden my horizens, since I like having a lot of burst AND being able to carry a not-so-good team!

CJBlazeAmbition

12-15-2012

evelynn - enough said mid btw.

iralos7713

12-15-2012

Ryze

anAmishLady

12-15-2012

Katarina and Cho'Gath are my favorite snowballers. Kat has better sustained burst in team fights, but Cho's frontend burst is much higher, plus he has so much cc.

Les Nomerables

Game Designer

12-15-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

My vote's for Riven. High mobility tends to lead to strong snowballing potential, and Riven excels here because her effective engage range is higher than just about every other champ in the game. That is to say, she can begin engaging on you from fairly far away, and even though you'll start running away, it's almost inevitable she'll reach you.

Most mids aren't nearly as bad, because they're fairly dependent on blue buff to spam their abilities, and someone like Morgana (and to an extent Orianna) can safely farm without ever entering engage range. This is partly why top lane is so snowbally... it's very easy to zone someone out due to the long distance between turrets.

NotBuzzJack

12-15-2012

Darius. Buy an Infinity Edge, crit on your W, and witness true burst!

But seriously it adds up to like 450% of your attack damage in one swing. So you're basically Phantom Assassin from Dota.

Gillrien

12-15-2012

Bursty snowball champions you say?

deathmetalfan

12-15-2012

LeBlanc.

Don Ring

12-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
My vote's for Riven. High mobility tends to lead to strong snowballing potential, and Riven excels here because her effective engage range is higher than just about every other champ in the game. That is to say, she can begin engaging on you from fairly far away, and even though you'll start running away, it's almost inevitable she'll reach you.
Ah...gotta love my Riven. She's a beast!

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-15-2012

Riven is a good candidate.

I think Jax is a better candidate.

Most of Riven's strength comes from utilizing her combos to maximize her passive. Part of my problem with Riven is that she's purely physical damage. Moreover, to me, she feels pure burst, with zero amount of sustained damage. Jax, meanwhile, has a lot of burst in terms of what you get out of his Q-AA-W-AA-stun from E-AA+Rpassive combo. And that's without mentioning the extra damage you get out of Sheen on all of these AAs, and the fact that you can typically get at least two Q-W wombo-combos out of any engage.

But on burst, I'd actually rate Riven and Jax pretty equal.

The reason I favor Jax is because of his high sustain damage through AD/AS that you also build some of on Jax. This makes Jax more effective at taking out objectives than Riven, in my opinion. Moreover, his high sustained damage means he is extremely effective at taking out objectives without putting his abilities on cooldown and leaving himself vulnerable like Riven would have to do to even come close to the same objective speed Jax has.

And this is probably worth noting as well... while both champions are extraordinarily good at snowballing an early advantage, there's a difference between these two champions if your opponent starts to snowball.

In my experience, Riven is better at avoiding future deaths with her higher mobility and her nice E-shield (which ends up being about as effective as Jax's E dodge, minus the stun), thus preventing the enemy from snowballing completely out of control.

Meanwhile Jax is more capable of continuing to farm and keeping up with that enemy and snowballing out of seemingly nothing. Just earlier tonight, I had a game where I started out extremely poorly in top lane against Darius, going 0-3 in lane and behind badly on creepscore, but in the end, I still managed a 20-minute Trinity Force, and ended up keeping Darius in check.