Wards and Oracle

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrooveTrain

12-15-2012

I am a support main, and I've been doing some thinking about wards, Sightstone, and Oracle's Elixir. I am starting to think Vision Wards are a better investment than Oracle.

Reasoning:
Green Ward: 75G for 3 minutes of area coverage.
vs. Sightstone: 700G for infinity green wards.

For warding, obviously Sightstone is the better investment here, although I find myself delaying this and buying a second, third or even fourth round of green wards (with pinks in the mix for counter-warding) depending on how my lane is going. I don't think its needed as an immediate purchase like Heart of Gold was, and I find its okay to delay this on caster supports who are running pickpocket in favor of Chalice.

However when we get to options for counterwarding, we have a choice.

Pink Ward: 125G for 3 minutes of area coverage,
vs. Oracle: 400G for 4 minutes of coverage wherever the carrier is, until time expires or they die.

Is it just me, or are Pinks suddenly a MUCH better investment throughout all stages of the game?

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-15-2012

Pink wards are certainly a better investment early game. By mid and late game when your team is traveling as a group so it's easier for you to stay alive, Oracle is better at eliminating a larger number of wards. If you want to eliminate just 3 wards, that'll cost you 3 pink wards, 375g. If you want to eliminate 4 or more wards, that's 500g. Or 400g for Oracles.

GrooveTrain

12-15-2012

Yeah that's what I mean, but in a way even then its more situational than it used to be.