Support Help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mindworm Jim

12-15-2012

So I just played a couple games as support (just in normals) and seemed to have some trouble of not being able to do anything.

First game as Janna second as Soraka. I can place wards. I can heal my carry. I can silence people or slow them or knock them up or away or whatever.

But I can't do **** for damage, and since I can't do any damage I don't feel like I'm actually doing anything. Am I missing anything here? My friend says I just need to build AP first to take advantage of ability ratios, whereas I've been starting with more traditional support items like the philosopher's stone, the sightstone, and then aegis.

What do?

BakaChop

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-15-2012

Don't listen to your friend .-.
The reason you feel like you're not having much effect is because you used Janna and Soraka. Raka just keeps the adc in lane forever and Janna is the queen of babysitting because of her insane amount of cc. If you want to really feel like you're doing something, try going with a more aggressive support. Maybe try Leona or Taric or Blitz.
A support is rarely gonna do very much damage, but the point is to help your adc do the damage as best you can.

BakaChop

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-15-2012

Oh, and Janna and Raka are in no way bad supports at all. They just serve different playstyles which may not make you fell like the manliest support in the world.

MeltedWater

12-15-2012

I'm not a fan of the sightstone...

But in any case, don't listen to your friend. Don't build AP unless it's something you feel is useful for something besides AP. If you want to play someone as a support that can deal decent damage, why not a non-traditional support such as Zyra or Gangplank?

thejuancho98

12-15-2012

i recommend use SONA.....its the best support for me.....and have a lot of attack and ability power

MegaRodon

12-15-2012

Janna and Soraka cannot setup a kill well
All they can do is to protect your carry and let him farm

Qsario

12-16-2012

Janna (and Soraka) are there to save allies, not to kill people. You're there to keep your carries alive so they can carry. Here's my most awesome Janna game ever: 0/0/34 ranked. LoL Replay ate the end of it, but it's just us killing their nexus. You might like the saves at ~17 minutes, or that awesome baron steal by Xin who had smite come up at the very last second. We won, barely, much of it due to myself, Ashe & a really awesome steal.

http://www.leaguereplays.com/replays/match/2604357/

Not getting kills is just fine. Also, the people who don't like sightstone are crazy. It's ~8 GP/10 if you're warding (and you should be). You should be map aware and a little bit efficient with wards. I tend to prefer a flask+pink+2 green start, but you really have to be careful warding to get to 700 GP for the sightstone. And the health upgrade on it is just awesome, I try to get that pretty early.

Heal is now awesome, don't neglect the 90 HP at 18 mastery either. It's 1 pt and you're crazy if you're not in the defense tree. Maybe Soraka prefers exhaust, I don't know, but Janna wants that heal now. And I can find you a video of Xpecial agreeing on sightstone & heal if you want.

Also: Kage's. Build Kage's. It gives some AP that's nice on many supports and it's a GP 10. And there's the shard of true ice that's a useful GP 10 to hit your initiator with (twin shadows is also awesome). Aegis, as you said, is basically a must. I run heal so I've been loving the sustain from philo->Miracle. Locket is also great, but somehow I keep forgetting to buy it because the base items are all different. Shureliya's is still awesome for the activate, even if it's been nerfed. Zeke's is too expensive but good. I usually want to buy it but am too poor.

Anyhow, you can carry even with zero kills. But you need to partner with a good ADC. You can see how good our Ashe was in that replay and how I helped, though I really failed a couple of times, like when backing for sightstone or when I wasn't paying attention and they bursted her down near base.

Qsario

12-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaRodon View Post
Janna and Soraka cannot setup a kill well
All they can do is to protect your carry and let him farm
Disagree concerning Janna. Janna can use her ult to pin you to the wall, then tornado you, then slow you while you're knocked up. If your carry can't kill them during that time, they weren't paying attention.