Suggestion to lore writers: You're doing a TERRIBLE job at the "shades of gray" thing

12345678 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xulsigae

12-23-2012

A well intentioned extremist is how pretty much everyone who has done 'evil' can be described. 'If we only did X, then the world would be a better place! But only I know how and have the will to do X, and lots of people don't want me to do X, so I'll just force it.'

DrTemptragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-23-2012

Not really; Mundo is crazy and sadistic, but isn't in it for any higher ideal. Just the fun of it. He's pretty damn evil.

A lot of villians, yeah. But not all of them.

Xulsigae

12-23-2012

Well yeah, there are those that are just in it for themselves, Mundo likely testing out his latest experiments. But people like Veigar, Viktor, Varus, Zed, the void champions etc, they have a vision or desire that involves a lot of death or submission that other people might not find attractive, even though they think their goals are defensible.

But none of them think they are evil.

Ace The Black

12-24-2012

With the exception of Veigar, who actually does say he's evil. The quote:
"I AM evil! Stop laughing!"

Xulsigae

12-24-2012

Yeah well...even he's got a sad story of sorts. Being tortured and alone did nothing good to his mind.

Tsaalyo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-25-2012

^ And yet, people claim Noxus is just as gray as Demacia. Maybe it was supposed to be, but it's not.

Xalren

12-25-2012

All this "Demacia - Noxus" and "Pilltover - Zaun" but where is Freijord! Or Void! Or Ionia! So is it "Ionia - Freijord"? and "Void - Ocean"? Besides, if my Iona - Freijord theory is right, where is the gray in Ionia? I highly doubt you can say they are as dark a shade of grey as Noxus, although I do know about the Ninja's lore, but they dont seem as bad as Noxus OR Demacia, they just wanna be left alone. Freijorld, I RLY want more lore on Freijord, like rivals to Olaf or Tryndamere, or maybe Tryndamere and Ashe's child?!

P.S. Kassadin's Daughter. New champion pls.

Tsaalyo

Recruiter

12-25-2012

^ The King of Bromacia no doubt has a fierce rivaly with the Grand General of Broxus.

NecroticBinder

12-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaalyo View Post
^ And yet, people claim Noxus is just as gray as Demacia. Maybe it was supposed to be, but it's not.
I don't believe they were supposed to ever be equal shades of grey. In the end, it is partially dependent on your perspective but it is undeniable that Noxus is a darker shade of grey. Personally, I find Noxus more appealing because it grants freedom to it's citizens and is more interesting. Demacia while a place of relative safety is a place of stagnation and rules that bind the citizenry to one spot in the social ladder and likely to a physical location.

However the new direction of the lore does seem to be a bit more blunt in "This is bad!" or "This is good" (*Cough* Jayce's old lore *Cough*) there are exceptions but it is hard to empathize with an arrogant executioner who does it for fun and cares only about himself. There is little in the way of grey there, while similar to Katarina, she at least had a connection to Garen which made her a bit more human and likeable.

It should be a careful balance of good and bad people from both city states, with the various shades in there in my opinion.

Tsaalyo

Recruiter

12-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methelod View Post
I don't believe they were supposed to ever be equal shades of grey. In the end, it is partially dependent on your perspective but it is undeniable that Noxus is a darker shade of grey. Personally, I find Noxus more appealing because it grants freedom to it's citizens and is more interesting. Demacia while a place of relative safety is a place of stagnation and rules that bind the citizenry to one spot in the social ladder and likely to a physical location.

However the new direction of the lore does seem to be a bit more blunt in "This is bad!" or "This is good" (*Cough* Jayce's old lore *Cough*) there are exceptions but it is hard to empathize with an arrogant executioner who does it for fun and cares only about himself. There is little in the way of grey there, while similar to Katarina, she at least had a connection to Garen which made her a bit more human and likeable.

It should be a careful balance of good and bad people from both city states, with the various shades in there in my opinion.
Katarina is a perfect example of how the lore could be improved. Riot needs to stop just teasing it and flat out have a little lore 'scandal' in which Garen and Katarina's secret relationship is exposed. Likewise, we should have Lux finally snap and jump ship to Piltover like we all know she's going to do eventually. Have allegiances actually be more than pure black and white. Because you're right. Newer lores are just getting more and more polarizing. Either a champion has no connection to anything, or they're solidly good or evil.

12345678 ... 12