Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Suggestion to lore writers: You're doing a TERRIBLE job at the "shades of gray" thing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Borkcire

12-21-2012

Demacia is a lighter shade of grey. As pointed out by someone else, they don't nearly allow the same kind of freedom for their citizens as Noxus does. In Demacia, if you are born a peasant, you remain a peasant whereas in Noxus anyone can advance if they have the skill and will. Even though that kind of freedom makes it the unpleasant place it seems like, it's citizens are truly free and are still, more or less, protected by the law. Besides, we never heard of any attrocity that Demacia commited because they dominate the "popularity charts" and have an image to uphold. And if I recall correctly, there were no Noxian journalists in the JoJ, only neutrals and Demacians.

As a throughly martial state, Demacia is bound to have a couple of skeletons in the closet.

Disgruntler

12-21-2012

Think of it this way.

Demacia is merely one resource deficiency away from being North Korea.

Xulsigae

12-21-2012

Quote:
Disgruntler:
Think of it this way.

Demacia is merely one resource deficiency away from being North Korea.

Could you explain that?

Snes C

12-21-2012

Quote:
Tsaalyo:
Or in the case of Viktor, perfect example! He's supposed to be not good or evil, just trying to further his own philosophy. His work was stolen, he should hate that sort of thing. Yet, what is the one piece of non-bio lore we have of him? Viktor acting like a goddamn Ninja Turtles villain, trying to steal Piltover's science with his crew of Foot Clan. It's like a bad joke. Half the time, I can't really take the lore seriously, because the 'bad' things in the lore are to such an absurd degree that it's like a comic book story.

Viktor is insane. This has always been the case. Sane people don't respond to the credit for their work being stolen by replacing their own body parts with machines. And I specifically remember a Rioter saying that the goal for his story was to indicate that he was on a road to madness, although not without a chance at redemption.

Borkcire

12-21-2012

Quote:
SnesController:
Viktor is insane. This has always been the case. Sane people don't respond to the credit for their work being stolen by replacing their own body parts with machines. And I specifically remember a Rioter saying that the goal for his story was to indicate that he was on a road to madness, although not without a chance at redemption.

I think that Viktor's circumstances would drive any sane person over the edge. I mean, your life's work happens to be one of the most groundbreaking discoveries of the time, if not the most, and it's attributed to someone else. And then your work is used for an equally groundbreaking project (Urgot's resurrection). And I highly doubt that you can appeal to justice in Zaun.

It's just that, in his despair, Viktor decided to completely remove his feelings and the only way he could do that was to augument himself. You know the saying, when all you have is a hammer...

DrTemptragon

12-22-2012

Quote:
SnesController:

Transhumanism isn't a sign of insanity; it's a legitimate philosophy with serious amounts of thought gone into the implications. You have no idea how proud I am of the Riot Lore department for not falling into the trap of "dude, replacing your body makes you evil." and how sad I am that people assume he's evil because he's a cyborg.

Yes, it was an over-reaction and possibly more thought could have gone into it. Yes, it's canon he's headed down a road that may see him commit immoral actions. However, I honestly believe that Viktor is an anti-hero; someone trying to do the best he can for all humanity, even though people don't always agree with him. There's no evidence of a plan of dominance or forced takeover.

Quote:
Tsaalyo:
Or in the case of Viktor, perfect example! He's supposed to be not good or evil, just trying to further his own philosophy. His work was stolen, he should hate that sort of thing. Yet, what is the one piece of non-bio lore we have of him? Viktor acting like a goddamn Ninja Turtles villain, trying to steal Piltover's science with his crew of Foot Clan. It's like a bad joke. Half the time, I can't really take the lore seriously, because the 'bad' things in the lore are to such an absurd degree that it's like a comic book story.

He's stealing natural resources, not science. Fine line etc. But I think that's... passable.

Snes C

12-22-2012

Quote:
DrTemptragon:
Transhumanism isn't a sign of insanity; it's a legitimate philosophy with serious amounts of thought gone into the implications. You have no idea how proud I am of the Riot Lore department for not falling into the trap of "dude, replacing your body makes you evil." and how sad I am that people assume he's evil because he's a cyborg.

Yes, it was an over-reaction and possibly more thought could have gone into it. Yes, it's canon he's headed down a road that may see him commit immoral actions. However, I honestly believe that Viktor is an anti-hero; someone trying to do the best he can for all humanity, even though people don't always agree with him. There's no evidence of a plan of dominance or forced takeover.

I see Viktor as more of an anti-villain. What he's doing isn't directly good or evil, but the steps he's taking to accomplish his goals are not heroic ones. He's more of a well-intentioned extremist who believes that the utopia he foresees justifies the means.

Tsaalyo

Recruiter

12-22-2012

Quote:
DrTemptragon:
He's stealing natural resources, not science. Fine line etc. But I think that's... passable.

Natural resources are no less a crime to steal than finished goods.

DrTemptragon

12-22-2012

Quote:
SnesController:
I see Viktor as more of an anti-villain. What he's doing isn't directly good or evil, but the steps he's taking to accomplish his goals are not heroic ones. He's more of a well-intentioned extremist who believes that the utopia he foresees justifies the means.

Willing to accept this.

Quote:
Tsaalyo:
Natural resources are no less a crime to steal than finished goods.

No, nor am I saying so. I'm saying it's within reason for Vik to steal resources; it's not for technology.

Ask the Herald

12-22-2012

I seem to be very popular here.