About the Journals

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheNarvalOfDeath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

Hey there guys, its been a while since i visited the forums (as in a month or so), and now that ive come back i find out that Riot has been releasing new Lore material as the continuation of Quinn's journal. Of course i devoured it in less than five minutes and i really thought it was great. It was a little short that is true but is was good, it was strong (as in, interesting and captivating) and overall well written (at least for me). I really hope that they will continue with this stuff.

Here's to the guys behind this, thank you!

Buuuut the thing that caught my atention was that this stuff kind of contradicts the reasons that the Lore department gave when they shut down our previous and still beloved JoJ and also the champion Judgements.

Lets have a look. I think that by now we can pretty much confirm that the reason for them to stop doing JoJ and Judgements was because they only caught the atention of a small percentage of the player base, only we, the Lore nerds, would actually read them because we cared, but the fact that they were "walls of text" really boo-ed away most people.

And that was ok, it was actually pretty obvious to see (although it took me some time to actually understand it), so when and i finally got it, i accepted that those two were dead for good.

Since then the Lore department has been trying to find new ways to deliver Lore, the special web pages for different events, the Elise log in screen speech, special in game quotes (my favourite) and other stuff that i cant really recall now. But now its seems that they are going back to the start. Of course Quinn's journal are, as i stated in the beginning of this post, really short and so they are easy to read. So there we have a difference. They are also posted on General Discusion, another difference with the previous written Lore. Its obvious that they do it this way because almost all the traffic in the forums is focused there, while in the Lore forums we are only a bunch of guys. That is ok too. But still leaving those differences aside, it really looks like you guys couldnt find it, couldnt find that new and awesome tool to develope lore, you did some really good stuff (that i mentioned before) and expanded your previous tools that is true, but in the end you had to go back to what we used to have, only that now its shorter because you want to make them easier to read for the people who would normally dont care. Its like a JoJ but you are delivering it piece by piece, note by note, instead of 5 or 6 notes all together. At least that is how i see it.

And of course im not talking about the content, because this new stuff is for now about Quinn's travel, its not periodistic stuff, im talking about the way in which this stuff is brought up only.

Now this thread was not made to complain, dont get me wrong, i repeat i really like what you are doing. But it was weird when i saw Quinn's journal because well, all that i stated above. And so i wanted to bring this up here to see what you guys think of this.

Or perhaps its just me i dont know. Either way, keep up the good work Riot!

PS: I found it odd that, as you did with the JoJ, you didnt made it so that if you clicked the feather button on the game client you would be redirected to this new stuff. People who dont come into the forums will never know that all of this exists

Summoner Abyss

03-26-2013

Also you forgot with ZAC's and Quinns preview they been pages of notes or journals about a bit of there past and development also, and I love that also. I agree I love the note also I think it's a good way of telling a story as well as previewing whats to come in future patches.

TheNarvalOfDeath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2013

Yes, i think no one can complain about it, i just wanted to point out how it looked like Riot was going back to basics, only that implementing a few changes. But in the end its like i said before, if instead of chapter by chapter you wrote the whole story of Quinn's journal together you would make two or three "JoJ" (different focus of course, but you get the idea).

It was only that, but im really into this kind of lore so im not complaining at all