Tips on jungle?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ProAMA

12-14-2012

I'm trying to be a more flexible player, since I main mid. I was wondering, what are some tips for jungle?

Crazy Crann

12-14-2012

I, like you, made the transition from mid to jungle some time ago.

The best advice I can offer is to play some AP jungles, because it might make your adjustment a bit easier. Right now, arguably, the premier AP jungler is Diana -- even post nerf.

There are plenty of build guides on the web for just about any jungle champion you can imagine, so I won't waste time describing masteries, runes and such. But I will say that Machete and five pots is an ideal start for almost any jungle in the game at present.

I run my Jungle Di with 2 Attack Speed quints and the ASpd mastery out of offense tree and, when taking W first, I can clear blue camp solo without the need for a leash and still walk away above 60 percent health, so I definitely would say grab the machete for the massive boost it gives you and the great items it builds into later.

There's a few key elements to playing Jungle. First: you need to know what your path will be. Is my jungler red or blue dependent? Which does he/she need more? Will I be able to clear wolves camp with enough health/time to grab blue before enemies get hungry?

Remember any time you're not spending killing jungle camps is time you're gradually falling behind your counterpart, and your enemies in lane. Creep, creep, creep. When you hit the appropriate level for your champion to gank (it's different for pretty much every Jungler depending on his/her kit, so read some guides), do so. I like to focus top or mid lane (depending on enemy comp -- if there's two top I'll generally go there first) on my first gank. Keep in mind that the gank doesn't have to end in a kill -- even forcing enemies to use their flash is a bit of a win, and pushing them back to take pressure of your ally is a big win.

Ward, ward, ward. Next to the support, I would argue the jungler is the second role that really needs to focus on warding. Drop them at the entrances to key areas in your jungle. Drop one at Dragon so that it also monitors your jungle entrance near lizard camp. Drop one near Baron/entrance to golems camp (vice-versa for purple team.) The more intel you have on the enemy's jungler (and players in general), the better you'll be. Wriggles helps with this job (and just so happens to be an awesome jungle item), as do the sightstones, so consider grabbing one of those.

When the enemy jungler rears his ugly head in a lane, consider stealing some of his jungle or going to the lane opposite. If he appears bot, run top and put pressure there. Or, conversely, steal his red buff and/or wraiths. If you can set him back, you're doing the team a service and forcing him to come out more, thus slowing down his ability to do his job and keep up with your team. That's one way to win.

Communicate with your team. "Grabbing red buff and then coming top" in the message box is a great way to let your top lane know he's not alone. "Grabbing wraiths and small golems then coming bot" is a great way to let your bot lane know to get ready for some killing. When you're moving in, put a ping on your intended target so everyone's on the same page. Check to make sure lanes aren't warded (ask your team), or your showing up will ultimately just result in you falling behind.

These are just a few tips in no particular order, but they're things I can immediately think of.

Obi Wans Cheese

12-15-2012

Based on the fact that you play mid, I would migrate to junglers designed to murder things with relative ease, eg Darius, Diana. (IMO Diana is far better mid, but the S3 jungle and ambient gold changes have made her less jibbed when it comes to farm comparatively, so this might be a viable option for you)

The issue with murdering junglers is that you have to remember to give the kill to the lane where possible (there are exceptions but it works as a rule of thumb). To remedy this, I would take up an easy-mode gank jungler like Maokai who can be fairly difficult to go wrong with - ie point and click snare that leads into an easy knockback, along with teamwide damage reduction.

Etherimp

12-15-2012

Play a tanky jungler to start with such as Amumu, Malphite, Rammus, Nautilus, etc.

Once you have the general idea of jungling down, I would transition into a jungler more oriented around counter-jungling and early ganking such as Shaco, Lee Sin, Shyvana, Trundle, Mundo, etc.