[Guide] Galio

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tillion

10-13-2010

So I play Galio as my main, and have had great success using a particular build with him. I understand the shortcomings of the build, but they can be offset with smart play easily.

Runes: Ya'll will think I'm crazy, but I have Mag Pen marks, and MR per level on everything else. Thats right, no CDR, no health, just MR per level. In the end that will result with 60MR at level 18 (and an additional 30 AP).

Items: I always start with meki pendant and two health pots. The way I play leaves him a bit mana starved off the start, so using your skills wisely is important.

Here is my order:

Meki >Chalice
Merc Treads
(These two items will cost a total of 1700g after you buy t The meki off the start, and afterwards you can begin truly farming minions with him, as his AP is high enough to blast through creep waves easily)
Abyssal Scepter. (Best item in the game for Galio, it equates to about 97 AP for him, you will begin to hit very hard with your E spell)

After those 3 items is where it gets tricky, you have to analyze the team your playing and figure out what is necessary. If they have high AD champs, or champs with high attack speed, get a thornmail. You will watch them just murder themselves during your ult.
If they have more AP, then a banshee's is next. The health is a big boost during your ult, on top of the possibility of the proc stopping a stun or taunt, as well as the the slight boost in AP.

Gaurdian Angel is always my 5th item. It offers a solid bit of armor, a little MR and AP, and of course the revive effect.

For my 6th item I usually get whatever item I opted not to get for my 4th, so either banshee's for AD teams or Thornmail. If thormail isnt applicable (at least 4 AP opponents) get a sunfire. His taunt is 2.5 seconds long, sunfire ticks for 40 per second. Basically, its an extra 120 damage to champion within your ult, which is a decent bit. I never go with items that will slow opponents attack speeds, as it is counter productive.

Finally, and this one is the icing on the cake, if the game goes long enough, sell the chalice and pick up a lich bane. At this point, you will be over 300 AP, and have right around 75% damage mitigation from AD and AP. Health is not that important with the proper amounts of mitigation in my honest opinion.

Mrtakeiteasy

10-13-2010

Galio is my own main as well, however theres a bit difference in what I believe you should do in regards to the build.

1. Don't get thornmail regardless, after your ult is over, those heroes that were entrapped in your ultimate will more than likely ignore you and let you get hit by crowd control spells. Otherwise, after your ult, they tend to ignore attacking you with regular attacks.
2. Instead of Abyssal, I know its a good item, switch it with banshee's veil in order of importance. Banshee's veil's ability to take in 1 summoner spell will almost always take its worth. High elo games, there will always be a disabler out of view to cancel out your ultimate, having a banshee's veil greatly increases the possibility of a longer ultimate.

Otherwise, yea, interesting :], but the banshee's veil and not getting the thornmail is only my opinion.

Tillion

10-13-2010

I suppose I left out some of the main reasons for my build.

Harrassment. After merc treads and chalice Galio hits hard, and has great range using my rune setup. I love playing the harrassment game, and Galio can excel at it with his E spell. The abysal as the third item is the best item he can get for damage output at that stage of the game. However, that does not mean a banshees, or at least catalyst before hand wouldnt be a bad call.

Another thing I forgot to touch on was summoner spells. I personally use Flash and Clarity. I know clarity is weak after mid game, however since I like to harrass I love having clarity for early game.

Mrtakeiteasy

10-13-2010

Here's my 2 cents, my guide i wrote says my opinion lolz xD

Instead of clarity, run a teleport, once you go back, buy a chalice and teleport back in. There is almost no time loss, teleport is more useful, and once you get a chalice, you have no reason to even use clarity in the first place.

and randomly, there is also a galio build discussion bouncing around as well.

Kroghar

10-13-2010

I don't know if I'd call this a Guide so much as a "This is how I build Galio."

Zielmann

10-13-2010

For the icing-on-the-cake item: Why lich bane? I'd just get a Zhonya's instead (then again, I prefer a caster galio to a tank galio in general. read my posts in the 'official galio discussion thread' in this section for details).

I just look at it this way: you aren't auto-attacking enough for the lich bane passive to matter. And your spells are on just enough cooldown that you probably won't get to use the lich bane hit that often anyhow. Z-ring is 25 AP more base, and increases all your AP even further, and costs basically the same amount to buy. And the needlessly large rod itself, at 1600 gold, gives almost as much AP as the entire Lich bane (over twice that cost).

Dwarfling

10-13-2010

I think I say this everytime I see a Galio thread pop out: get Frozen Heart as your armor item. Maxing CDR is incredibly beneficial, I'd say essential to Galio, because you don't want to be useless for the next 8s after you blow out your Smite and Gust and you want to initiate in as many fights as you can. Sadly Galio isn't very quick at killing Golem and someone else probably wants it. The AS debuff doesn't really matter that much for Idol damage.

Razzimath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2010

Gotta agree with Dwarfling. I Find CDR to be mandatory on him. His spells have 12, 8, 13, 170/150/130 sec cds. Those are long. Getting CDR just for the ult could be justified considering its importance, let alone the other spells.

Best bit about Frozen Heart is Glacial Shroud. Gives the majority of the CDR plus decent armor for 60%ish of the final cost. You can upgrade to the FH later when the enemy carry gets their core items. This way gives the CDR and armor you need to be effective mid game without a major delay to the core items.

Rakeash

10-13-2010

Wait.. you bought zero health items? None? No health items? What?

You should be getting ripped up while you're building your abyssal scepter if you're not grabbing health/mr or health/armor items by then. People aren't going to attack you enough for thornmail to get enough use.. you're better off getting a sunfire cape. And CDR items are awesome for him (glacial shroud).