@Riot & Community: "DoTA 2"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

j2QJjm9Q07WRRBRT

10-13-2010

The reason they are moving these to off-topic is because they don't want their playerbase to know about Dota 2....

Dota 2 will hopefully be a great MobA game. that means it has replays, observer mode, and a great community.

Alyxx

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptamei View Post
I'm amazed they literally cloned Dota exactly. This is the Starcraft 2 approach and it earned Blizzard a huge amount of m...

oh.

So basically the winning strat for game makers nowadays is to take an old great game, repackage it and watch the money pour in. At least if you're a brand name game maker; otherwise you're called a copycat.
Your first example doesn't really watch up with your second statement. Updating a game (in this game remaking a game from the ground up with the game's current owners permission, they even hired him!) is hardly just a repackaging. Also, by updating a game they make it open for more expansions, and since VALVe is making it these expansion will be free.

Second how can you imply valve is a copycat if they hired the current owner of dota and he is in charge of the project.....where on the flipside you have riot getting money off the popularity of a game that wasn't even popular when they made it. If anything LoL is more of a copycat even if the game is different.

j2QJjm9Q07WRRBRT

10-13-2010

Quote:
I'm amazed they literally cloned Dota exactly. This is the Starcraft 2 approach and it earned Blizzard a huge amount of m...

oh.

So basically the winning strat for game makers nowadays is to take an old great game, repackage it and watch the money pour in. At least if you're a brand name game maker; otherwise you're called a copycat.
You do realize they already said they are adding a matchmaking system and achievements?

NinNinNin

10-13-2010

Quote:

oh.

see guitar hero and its legacy

Disaresta

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2010

Quote:
So basically the winning strat for game makers nowadays is to take an old great game, repackage it and watch the money pour in.
Well, I have no idea if the gameplay in DotA is inferior to League, but the reason I never played DotA was because I had to felt that I had to memorize the shop. "WHERE THE **** IS THAT ONE ITEM AGAIN". Memory span of a goldfish? Dunno, but that's why I never touched DotA again.