LoL killer?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cuchulainn

10-13-2010

It might just be me.. But I'd think that, given the devs and all, LoL is technically more of a DotA 2 than this will ever be.

Just saying.

Lord Oliveira

10-13-2010

I think this is win-win.

If Valve starts pumping out unique champion skills and concepts then that will force Riot to never create horribly boring and generic heros like Miss Fortune, Swain, Lux, etc.

It would force them to do what everyone has wanted forever and that is make crazy awesome unique skills because if they don't then people will leave LoL and go to "Dota". This just might break champion designers out of their complacency.

zAPPzAPP

10-13-2010

Its scheduled for 2011. That can be more than a year to go.
And that's Valve time. 1 year in Valve time can be anywhere up to 5 years in real time.
So... why bother to think about it now?

Naminator

10-13-2010

Quote:
By logging in as a coach, veteran players can do their part to help out newer folks. Valve hasn't entirely decided on the specifics of how newbies and coaches will be matched up, but once they're together a few things happen. The coach sees the pupil's screen, and gets private voice and chat channels to communicate with them. The coach probably won't be able to take control of anything directly (once again, the details are currently under discussion), but information is power in Dota 2 and having a mentor whispering in your ear can make all the difference in the world.
WOW talk about features.

We just barely got a draft mode and Valve is pushing out DotA 2 with **** like that?

Awesome, just awesome, Valve never disappoints.

Kemsta

10-13-2010

This thread reminds me of WoW forums when WAR/AoC/Aion/KotOR were announced.

ProbablyTerribad

Recruiter

10-13-2010

"It'll kill HoN and not Lol"

Really? Reeeeeally?

If anything, HoN is going to be the biggest threat to this game's success. You have to remember, Heroes of Newerth, by the time this game is released, will have been out almost two years by then. The content difference is going to be pretty big, and since they're practically going to be the same game, a lot of HoN players aren't going to pay more money to go play a lesser evolved version of the game they already paid $30 for.

EvilGenus

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghorse24 View Post
I was just wondering what everyone thinks about Valves latest announcement:
http://kotaku.com/5663018/valves-new-game-is-dota2
is this going to be a LoL killer?
Or do you think that if someone who wants to play a DoTA game and is willing to pay for it is already playing HoN?

I love LoL and I don't see anything that would make me want to pay for HoN...
How? HON was "free" for about a year through beta and it's a tiny game now compared to LoL and was smaller even before it charged money. HON is a dota clone. this is also a dota clone. Why would Valve have greater success now? It's already been tried and it did't work. LoL is the future. If you want dota 2.0, play HON, it's pretty good and it's available right now.

If Valve dota is F2p, they'll do AT BEST as well as HON beacuse everyone already switched. That's not big.
If valve dota is pay to play, theyll do no better than retail HON, which is even smaller.

Who cares. LoL is where its at.

BTW, the reason I know HON is small is because of xfire and my friends. Last year all my friends played HON. Now only 2 does, and the second only because she's my best friend's GF. but he and she play more LoL because all of our friends do.

Krathalos

10-13-2010

LoL will definitely not die. For one, LoL is F2P. Dota2 will definitely be p2p, if not a one-time payment. This is also in a year. LoL might progress far more than people expect it to within the time that Dota2 comes out, and possibly even be better than it, even though it's p2p.

Gojira Scorn

10-13-2010

Sorry boys... that game looks fantastic. If it delivers 40% of what it advertises, I have a hard time believing LoL will be in financial shape to compete with it in the future.

Built in voice chat, mentor system that creates a direct voice link between the mentor and pupil, built in replay systems, achievement system, and not to mention, it IS Valve. You cannot deny some of the gaming masterpieces they have engineered. I hate FPS, but Half Life was and still is, the benchmark for any fps game existing/being released.

I am more of a Riot fanboy than Valve though, and my hopes are that this pushes Riot to implement a lot of features we have been promised.

I for one, cannot wait for this game. My favorite genre spearheaded by a wealthy, and well established gaming company? Yes please, I will take 2.

kaiyouske

10-13-2010

What's interesting is that IceFrog is helping with the development.