Gangplank runes........help please =d

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ADHD Alex

10-13-2010

Hello,

I've been playing gangplank a while now and got really good with him, however I have found that there are many rune combos you can use and i have no idea whats the best........

So i was wondering if you guys have any suggestions as to what is good or as to what most people do or what is good bad =D

Thanks

VCJunky

10-13-2010

I gave up playing the pirate because when I play with friends they always complain that I am a useless pick (Failplank). He has no disables, can't do jack for ~30 minutes (can you say FARM THAT GUN HARDER?), and he's made of paper. Even when I ulti across the map, people just complain that I am trying to KS. No wonder he's considered low tier.

Anyways, for runes I went with the standard Armor Pen Marks just because it seems fitting on anyone who does physical damage. Yes, they work with your gun skill. Throw crit (from your ITEM build, not runes) into the mix, and you can actually deal some decent damage.

For other runes, MP/5 and CDR are probably good choices. You need more mana to continuously spam that level 1 E throughout the game, and Q as much as possible (of course). Even starting out with a Meki Pendant, I still run into mana problems early and midgame. If you get harassed and are forced to W, you will be out of mana before you know it. That's what makes the MP/5 runes a necessity. I usually turn the Meki into a Codex, and then probably a Nashor lategame, by then you shouldn't have any mana problems at all.

No matter how much you stack CDR, since there is a hardcap of 40%, you will never be able to E 2 creeps per wave. The CDR is mostly for your W and R skills, since Q has a fairly low cooldown anyways. It's nice to spam R lategame on a low cooldown. It's also nice to escape the same battle twice using W.

Depending on your item build, you might not really need CDR, since you can easily hit 40% CDR in items if you really wanted to, so it might seem like the runes are going to waste. Anyways, I would definitely recommend Armor Pen and MP/5 runes at least. They work pretty well with the pirate.

ADHD Alex

10-13-2010

hey thanks but shouldn't I get crit chance instead of armor pen?

VCJunky

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD Alex View Post
hey thanks but shouldn't I get crit chance instead of armor pen?
No. Did you even read what I wrote?

LolGuno

10-13-2010

Search no further..
ArP > Crit chance / Crit Damage
Mana Regen is good too

ADHD Alex

10-13-2010

thanks so rune setup should be
9x armor pen marks
9x armor pen seals
9x mana regen per lvl glyphs
3x flat CDR quints
That right?

Eppa

10-13-2010

If you want options I use, arpen reds, manaregen/18 yellow and blue, flat hp quints.

I start with dorans shield most of the time.

Shinnyshin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
no, that's not quite right. you should read through the guide i linked you if you haven't taken the time to, but what you want is:
3 quints (purple): armor pen
9 marks (red): armor pen
9 seals (yellow): mp5/level
9 glyphs (blue): flat cdr

maybe you just got mixed up on the colors? in any case, those are the runes you want for damage.
Yup, this's pretty much right. Though I've seen some people use hp/level seals, since he's so squishy, to make him more melee capable, since Gangplank's big curse is he has to stay out of the fray until people are softened up enough for him to destroy everything.

I've also played against someone (Dan Dinh giving me some tips, actually) who used mana regen glyphs AND seals, which allowed him to focus on offense from the get-go rather than worrying about mana. Worked pretty well.

The seals and glyphs are flexible. But for marks and quints, you always want Armor Penetration. The person above me suggested Flat HP, which seems like a terrible idea, since Gangplank has no offense early game. You shouldn't be leaping into the middle of things early game...

Eppa

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnyshin View Post
You shouldn't be leaping into the middle of things early game...
Which is why you get defensive quints, GP early game is really weak, he needs a buffer to even have a chance vs people that use hp quints+doran's.

Eppa

10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
his point was that because gp is really weak early game, you shouldn't be trading hits with anyone and therefore wouldn't need flat hp quints.
Honestly 90% time you don't have an option or you will just get zoned and not get any cs. E helps but you will miss out on a lot creep kills.