What system works best for Role Selection in Draft Games?

Call Order 88 20.75%
Pick Order 163 38.44%
Riot should make a system that lets me queue for specific roles in Draft. 162 38.21%
I have a better idea, I'll leave it in the thread. 11 2.59%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Call Order vs Pick Order

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Beaumains

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhynoD View Post
Really, the solution is: Don't be a jerk. Ask for a role, don't call a role. Discuss with the people in champ select, and if it works out that two people want the same thing, I dunno, take it to a vote. Or just Q dodge and deal with it.

Riot shouldn't have to force you to be polite.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

To expound, by coordinating with your team, you increase your chances of victory. Low Elo Ranked goes by pick order, and you're literally at the mercy of the Top/King Noob. High Elo Ranked goes by strategy - first pick almost never takes a carry (or else will be swapping down for it). Mid Elo Ranked goes by 'call' preference, and for most games this is probably the best way to go; because by giving as many players as possible the champions they are most comfortable with, you increase your chances of winning - and we all like to win.

TurtleRush

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-10-2013

@Beaumains
1) This is about draft.
2) Mid elo (1100s to 1500s) all go by pick order. There are some clowns who call when they should be saying hey I play a good adc or top lane and can't really jungle. Just like the few clowns in 1800+ who occasionally call as well.

According to the summoners code, it's by pick order. But pick order changes from game to game in draft. Awhile back, they even changed the draft picks so that being in a party with people would not get you first pick (then had to do another patch because they never patched this when they said they did).

Last night I played a game with my friend who just bough jarvan and we were going to try out jarvan leona combo (he did terrible but it's k). But we were never allowed to go bot lane because someone wanted to ADC or Support when we were duoed up and in skype. There is no rule saying that the meta can't have a solo bot lane. Look at the pros, they switch. Pretty sure we both go reported for refusing to communicate by our other 3 teammates. It's draft though... There's suppose to be more communication that blind while still a practice game... I think it should be callers preference. Especially when there is no rule about what the meta is.

meta defined: end game content that changes based on the team composition and items.

Kevin Zealon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-10-2013

I would really appreciate being able to queue for certain lanes or type of champion.

It would help players actually form 5 man teams out of 5 cohesive players ahead of time, randomly.

ACGIFT

01-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvias View Post
There are more than 7 "roles"

Riot has 12 "attributes", 9 of which could be conceived as "roles", but really the 12 comes in a multitude of combinations which makes champions viable in a multitude of roles.

<snip>

One "role" that everyone seems to forget, but is more vital now than ever, pusher. Riot literally gave that role items this patch.
I'm going to assume that the 3 you remove are "melee," "ranged," and "recommended."

"Pusher" and "Jungler" are not roles, they are attributes. As I just outlined above, every single jungler has an actual, separate role outside of "jungler." Similarly, "pusher" is just a noted attribute, somewhat like "ranged" and "melee," and is even a debatable attribute; is Sivir REALLY that much more capable of pushing than other AD carries, for instance?

And, of course, I don't consider "stealth" a role on its own; it's just a (somewhat superflous) tag to identify the 9 champions who have a (controllable, unlike LeBlanc's) ability to stealth themselves. While it's integral to all their mechanics, it's hardly a role, given the diverse nature between them; while there ARE 4 stealth assassins, (Vayne's an AD Carry, not assassin; she just has assassin-like qualities) that's less than half the group, leaving 2 AD carries, (Vayne and Twitch) 2 fighter/bruisers (Wukong and Rengar) and 1 misfit support. (Teemo)

Once we take out those 6 tags, what're we left with? Support, Assassin, Mage, (AD) Carry, Tank, and Fighter. I don't quite like how Riot's built-in tags are placed, but it roughly works for almost all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvias View Post
And you get an even wider assortment of combinations as where a support (if you have one) goes is not set in stone.
That's the beauty of how I described the arrangements: it doesn't matter where they go. If they're a support champion, they will either be a jungler like Nunu, (which will build something different from the standard support and likely won't even label themselves as "support" on their team) OR, they will be laning with someone else. And in either of those dual-champion lanes, they will be partner #2.

So if they want to go with a carry top? Still top #1 and top #2. Going with an AD Fighter/Bruiser? Still, #1 and #2.

The thing is, the lanes themselves are hardcoded into the game already; aside from the obvious parts that those are where the minions go and the turrets (which you kind have to knock down to win) are located, the tutorial itself tells you to "pick a lane."

Since the goal is to AVOID forcing a meta, this works well: you queue in for a lane, but you can't be sure which meta you're going to get! (unless you pick "roamer") Picking Jungle just means you get anything but the "double top" meta, and picking #2 lane means you'll get either the appropriate Euro-meta, or the "double-top" meta.

Gasekura

01-11-2013

Typically every normal game I solo queue for I end up at the mercy of everyone who locks in immediately. Seeing as I want to cooperate and win, that means I get stuck in the same roles over and over, roles I don't particularly enjoy. And after I perform not particularly well in those roles, I get blamed for the loss and sometimes reported.

At the end of the day, I'm punished for trying to cooperate and complement my team composition when I'M the one biting the bullet in playstyle. At least some way to compensate the people who assist their team would be nice (Don't get me started on the honor system. I have never EVER gotten honor from randoms without myself or someone else suggesting it).

Nightwhite3

01-11-2013

I very mutch support the idea of a role que system. I play WoW so I know exactly how useful and effective it is in making sure the team cooperates and benefits each other by players being able to play their best/favorite role.

DangTasty

01-30-2013

Would it really be so hard to have a section in a player's profile (viewable from champion select) where they can display their strongest roles? Just a little check box that says, I am comfortable doing X, X, or X. It wouldn't be required by the game, but it would certainly help people identify where they are fine with going.

At the same time, especially if this actually goes into effect, Riot needs to put somewhere that you should feel comfortable with multiple roles before trying ranked.
Or maybe require you to have X number of wins before you start, because oh wait that's an entirely different thread.

The first point still stands.

Page Zeppelin

02-01-2013

I think the person who is able to buy a hooker and get a disease where the person has to amputate his or her legs gets to choose first.

Oz SammyD X

02-02-2013

Well the rule is Pick Order>Calls, but yes it would be nice if there was a mode where you could select your position you want but i dont think it would work as there are lots of trolls that would pick support but go mid/top/jungle/adc instead.

But yeah right now the rule is Pick Order>Calls so people really need to shutup about this lol, it will never change so get over it...

TaoOfJeetKuneDo

02-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfynsong View Post
Draft ranks pick order by ELO, so why exactly should someone at a lower ELO feel entitled to a position they "called" over a player whose ELO is higher AND picks before them anyway?
"What determines the ban and pick order of my team?

In Solo/Duo Queue competition, the highest rated player on each team will always be given the privilege of selecting the bans and picking first. The remainder of the pick order is randomly constructed by the matchmaking system."

from https://support.leagueoflegends.com/...nd-Rewards-FAQ