Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How do you play a Nasus when ...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shinslammer

10-13-2010

your tank doesnt NEED to be the one initiating. Just make sure you have SOMEONE who can if your tank cant. Obviously tanks that can initiate are super valuable, but occasionally things will play out to where you NEED to tank. Dont listen to these bads saying to play normal and let them ***** about it. You'll lose the game. Be versatile and willing to make something work. Of course it isnt optimal, but its 100% better than 5 dps.

Aegis is usually my starting point for tank or offtank nasus. If you actually have another tank let them know you can pick it up for them. If Im dps after that Ill get a triforce, If im really tanking it depends, but BV or Omen are up there on my list usually

Carados

10-13-2010

Quote:
Shinslammer:
your tank doesnt NEED to be the one initiating.

Then a tank does what?

Shinslammer

10-13-2010

Quote:
Carados:
Then a tank does what?

So that ashe that shot an arrow from the fountain into your 4v5 is tanking?

Tanks also CC, save carries, help focus down the burn target, stand in the way of skillshots to your squishies, do enough damage to draw focus fire/CC OR kill someone if they dont. HOLD TOWER AGGRO.

EDIT: By your definition malphite is hands down THE BEST tank in the game. He initiates better than anyone else with unstoppable force. Why isn't he t1? O yea because thats all he does.

Carados

10-13-2010

"Tanks are members of the team"

got it

Shinslammer

10-13-2010

Quote:
Carados:
"Tanks are members of the team"

got it

yea, perfect. Tanks are harder to play because they have to be MORE part of the team than everyone else. If your carry is focusing on everything I just mentioned he wont be killing nearly as fast. A mage can throw out some CC, but its usually part of their burn cycle anyway.

Id like to see just a member of the team hold tower aggro for an extended fight though. Or eat some of the nastier skillshots in the game. Like Morgs binding.

Did i say initiation wasn't a job of the tank? not at all. Ideally it would be. But that isn't the sole responsibility or job of a tank.

Merryl

10-13-2010

Nasus is probably my most-played champ, and Hyfe's guide forms the core/starting point for most of my games as him…that being said, I definitely have somewhat different item builds and playstyles for those two situations.

In both cases, I usually build an early Aegis (after Merc's, or between Boots 1 and Merc's) because it's pretty much always worthwhile for my team.

For a) Build Sheen, think about picking up Stark's if no one else is going to (complements the armor reduction from Spirit Fire and helps your DPS carries wreck shop), work towards Trinity (build Zeal second for the movespeed over Phage--you already have a slow). I occasionally will take FoN for the regen and movespeed to help me chase down a squishy and smash their face while the tank is keeping the rest of the team busy (also makes it super-easy to keep pressure on a lane when not teamfighting).

For b) it'll depend on the enemy team's magical/physical damage composition. I'll get GA if I'm finding that I'm getting dropped too often. Frozen Heart/Randuin's for the Armor, CDR, and slows. Trinity's still good if you feel tanky enough and want more offense. Other than that, standard tank build…Thornmail against DPS, BV and/or FoN against casters. Get Sunfire if you want to encourage them to pay more attention to you.

In both cases, my playstyle's pretty similar. After initiation (by either team), Wither the biggest DPS threat, drop Spirit Fire over the largest concentration of enemy champs, Ult if there are 2 or more champs beating on me/nearby.

Only real difference is when there's already a tank, late game I'm more likely to split with the team and put pressure on/defend a separate lane (depends on team comp/situation, of course). When we're on offense, they can either divide their team to try to deal with me (does not usually go well unless they devote 3+ to the effort), or ignore me and lose their towers ridiculously fast to a large creep wave and fed SS.

Eppa

10-13-2010

Tank isn't a role

When people think tank they think = Initiator + meatshield

Not a tank= Garen

Tank= Ashe+Garen

It's a stupid term as people haven't decided on what it is supposed to mean.

Hyfe

10-13-2010

People... you can be a tank without being a strong initiator. If you can soak up a **** ton of damage, you can be a tank. Initiation abilities, crowd control, disables, etc. are just attributes that make a tank better or worse. Saying a triple sunfire/FoN/GA Garen is not a tank because he doesn't have an initiation skill is stupid. You are arguing over over trivialities of an irrelevant point unrelated to the OP's question.

For example, Nasus can be played as a main tank. Is that the role he is most effective at? No. However, he can still pull it off under the right circumstances, the foremost of them being that your team NEEDs to have some other form of strong initiation (for example Ashe arrow which has been mentioned in this tread). The more strong forms of initiation the better. For main tank Nasus simply build... dun dun dun.... tank items. The most you need in terms of DPS is a sheen, if that. I'd recommend Aegis first, then situational tank items based off the enemy team.

If you have someone else as the main tank (shen or mummy, for example) you are free to utilize your full potential and be much scarier. I still get an Aegis first, but then grab the sheen and either work towards trinity force or starks if it will benefit your team greatly. After you have 1 or both of these consider another tank item. It's very rare that you will need or have time to get any damage items other than these.

EchoRex

10-13-2010

Being a damage soak alone does not make you a tank. At all. Ever.

Being a damage soak that is also a high priority, must target or get handicapped threat to the opponents makes a champion a tank.

Anything else is ignorable till the rest of the team, the priority targets, are all killed.

"Herp Derp I has HP and Armor I will run at them first to HOPE to draw CC and nukes" is not tanking.

Tanking requires a champion be sturdy enough to survive being alone with the opposing team as he/she positions to let loose with significant to as many as is possible of the other team CC so his/her team can come in and do what they do.

It has always been thus in this game and will always be that way against other players. Other players don't give a **** about how you can take soooo much damage if you are not a threat to them. Get a clue people.

If a champion is only good at taking damage, why would anyone target that champion first? Congratulations on making the fight 4v5 by building a champion to not contribute to killing the other team and pushing.

A single, single target CC does not make a champion even a secondary tank, it makes them "able to tank if our real tank disconnects" material.

TriniSlayer

10-13-2010

in case a) i usually get a sunfire cape first (after boots of course) giving me health, armor and damage. and then atmas;giving more armor and damge and start building triforce then get items that give you more survivability but help you do more damage at the same time like thornmail if you are taking a lot of physical damage etc. most times though the game is over before i finish atmas or start triforce.

b)build him like you'll build any other tank, keep analyzing the enemy team and their items throughout the game, check your death recap and build to counter.