New(er) player to Dominion- HELP!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sauron

12-14-2012

I recommend periodically checking the spectate live for Dominion games -- they will be listed as "Normal" but will have a different background (houses instead of SR jungle).

When spectating games, I recommend picking one team and turning on fog of war for them, that way you can see the context of their mistakes and learn from them better.

Jpeg

12-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
I recommend periodically checking the spectate live for Dominion games -- they will be listed as "Normal" but will have a different background (houses instead of SR jungle).

When spectating games, I recommend picking one team and turning on fog of war for them, that way you can see the context of their mistakes and learn from them better.
Are spectate slots typically open for Dominate Dominion in house games?

Sauron

12-14-2012

They typically are but we haven't been doing inhouse games at all recently, aside from the weekly tournament on Saturdays which are always open to spectators.

Lux Eternus

12-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOODFOOD View Post
Someone needs to make a guide that details what works in each elo bracket. Obviously, we can't see our ELO, but you can generally judge which bracket you're in by your teammates and opponents. It takes a different gameplay style to carry in each bracket.
I think i have a decent enough knowledge to be "good", but i'd almost certainly need help around the 1700 mark. I feel like im in the 1400-1500s now (but its hard to tell, i've won 35 games, lost 26... had 2 afk's last game, not on purpose though), however, everyone i'm playing with has over 100 dominion victories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infirc
finally, when i started playing DOminion i obeyed ranked rule 1: " the fact that you can counter something doesn't mean your whole team is able to do it, so it's better to ban something you think they won't be able to handle particularly if theya re telling you than to leave it open just because is a weak pick at high elo or pubstomper" i facepalmed every time someone didn't ban Garen at low elo draft pick and procceeded to get facestomped by him....i even opened a thread about it, and it got downvoted to hell :S but with draft dead you can pretty much skip it now.

it's like banning shen on Sr, of course he's tanky and has a gamebraking ultimate but sometimes just sometimes you just don't want a shaco in low Elo because there's a really high possibility than enemy shen will never use his ultimate and is just using the guy just because everyone says he's op/gamechanging
Yeah, i only play blind :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron
They typically are but we haven't been doing inhouse games at all recently, aside from the weekly tournament on Saturdays which are always open to spectators.
Oh my goodness. Its the Dark Lord himself. I feel like a kid who has his favourite football player talking to him :3

I never knew that about dominion, and also what time does the tournament start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpeg
Are spectate slots typically open for Dominate Dominion in house games?
Your name also sounds familiar!

Also, i was wondering if perhaps i could add anyone who plays higher level dominion- and spec you.

Lux Eternus

12-28-2012

Got my ratio to 47/27. Its been more like 30/10 since ive been trying.

Hoping to get better!

Panzerzs

12-28-2012

ppl in the DominateDominion chatroom are willing to help. The higher ups are willing to spread their knowledge too like Sauron, Nekrogen, InFeed etc

I guess some basic tips that might help you as a new comer is:
-Know where your enemy is so your team will regroup around that area to start a battle
-To know your enemy's location, means taking control over the fog of War. You can often float (just camp in) brushes in the middle jungle and see when enemies rush for the top point!

fizzlebeef

12-28-2012

One thing I've found is after playing a lot of Dominion you will be much better at the fights in SR. Something about getting 100x more experience in an equal amount of time. (Experience fighting ofc.)

1) Pay attention to the other team, you need to know if the top players have died, are they roaming jungle? How long have they been in there? Have they had time to be hiding in the bush above me at bot?

2) If you're top -- GANK BOTTOM. Do not leave your top to be captured, but after you've won a team fight and you know the top won't be under intense pressure for a minute, run bot if you have decent movement speed. Ganking bot wins games.

3) Defend your bot. I see tons of games where the bot is obviously having trouble -- no one tries to switch and/or no one regularly ganks (or at least pressures) the bottom to help out. This will lose the game. I try to help bot as much as I can without hindering my top.

4) Please, please, don't fight in the jungle while you own the point right above you. Go to the point and poke. Try to force initiation on the point. Even if they run away hopefully they will have to go lick their wounds before returning (can you gank bot now?) (ps: Ofc this could be broken in the right situation. IE: Big AoE team and you use the bushes to "catch" the other team into a beat down.)

5) If their team is B and you're waiting to defend top. Go wait on their side of the middle bushes so you can see if they decide to send someone to your middle (you will also alert your top that they are coming and to pay attention. put the bowl down.). It's basically the same thing as people deciding to hide above the point at top in the bushes -- except you provide more map awareness. The mid bushes are a short run to top so it shouldn't be an issue. (just don't sit here with a slow-ass champ knowing the other team would be able to run you down even if you get a head start).

That's about all I have time to give right now. For me, I could KNOW what I needed to do -- but it took time for me to get better. Eventually I just realized I was playing much better and had gained a lot of ELO (this is after hundreds of games). It helps a LOT to play with better people. I shudder at the memories of low ELO dom.... ugh...