Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I herd u liek to pwn noobs on forums

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dingding123

12-13-2012

so here's your next big chance! Maths edition.

For a completely relevant reason so that this stays on GD (headmistress fiora will kill me if I don't understand this by tomorrow morning), I need to understand binomial distribution. And as a start I'm trying to understand distribution. Or just the word "binomial".

Anyway so I go on the 'for dummies' site thinking that'd be the best place for a man with such omnipotent knowledge as myself to start, and in the first image I see on the webpage is this:

A^2 + A^3 = A^5

A bajillion red flags go off in my head. I now can't decypher what is being said in the actual text around it as I am left scratching my head at how that could possibly make sense.

Let's say A = 2. What the above formula would be saying to me is that:
4(2*2) + 8 (2 * 2 * 2) = 32 (2 * 2 * 2 * 2 * 2).

Can anyone explain why this is makes sense and I'm full of balogna? Bonus points if you can magically make me understand binomial distribution.

The webpage I was referring to is here:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-distribute-variables.html

DEMONTOMATO

12-13-2012

-__-' *facepalm* if you read above it, it says that it was REMINDING you to add exponents when you multiply. And then they gave that to show how you "add". Very pointless and just confusing for everyone.

Scarlet Flandre

12-13-2012

I saw numbers and then I'm like

**** that.

Eugenides

12-13-2012

So uh, that is actually a wrong example. Just sayin'. Not sure if you're trolling or what, but I'll help you with your maths.

Should be A^2*A^3=A^5. Not added. Multiplied.

Lénekton Bot

12-13-2012

Quote:
Eugenides:
So uh, that is actually a wrong example. Just sayin'. Not sure if you're trolling or what, but I'll help you with your maths.

Should be A^2*A^3=A^5. Not added. Multiplied.

Or he is trying to solve a quintic function.

Eugenides

12-13-2012

As for binomial distribution. Binomial is a term with two parts to it.

A Polynomial is anything that looks sorta like ax^2+bx+c. Basically any added number of variables and constants. A binomial is one that only has two elements. So a basic version is x+1.

Binomial distribution is the concept that basically says that when you multiply by a binomial, you have to multiply by every term.

So A*(x+1) becomes A*x+A*1, or x(x+1)=x^2+x.

When you multiply two binomials by each other, they hold to the same rule for both parts.

(x+1)(x+1)= x^2+x+x+1^2. Easy way to remember: FOIL. Stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last. As in, you multiply the First parts together(x times x) then the outer ones(first x times the last 1) the innner two(first 1 times second x) and last two (the ones.) Add everything up, and you're golden.

Pro trick for squaring a binomial: (x+4)^2. Take exponent, apply to first term, so x^2. Then multiply the exponent, the number and the x together(x*4*2=8x) then apply exponent to last term(4^2=16) You get x^2+8x+16, which is (x+4)^2.

Hope that helped. otherwise, I got trolled, and zero ****s are given.

Eugenides

12-13-2012

Quote:
Lénekton Bot:
Or he is trying to solve a quintic function.

Well, that only works when A=0 or something very ugly that you probably don't want to try to get by hand.