Hey guys! 'm asking for some tips & advice.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Noxian Mercenary

12-13-2012

I'm thinking of doing a fanfic involving Vi and another female character..not sure if I want it to be romantic or not, but that's up in the air.

Anyways, I've actually got quite the background in FxF relationships, as I've read:

Wounded [Ashe x Kat]
To the Edge of Light's Reach [Kat x Lux]
Guiding Light [Lux x Riven]
NaNoWriMo: All That I Have [Irelia]
A Blade Reforged (NaNoWriMo) [Riven]
League's End: Legacy of the Void [Fiora, Lux]

All of them extremely exceptional. I'd actually like to take the time to give a shout-out to the author or League's End. It is by far the most creative story I've read, as it creates entirely new scenarios at every turn (best of all, it's not a happily-ever-after story).

I'd also like to thank the author of Wounded. It was the first Fanfic I've ever read, and it set my overall appeal for FxF relationships: subtle, appropriately slow, even hesitant.

Anyways, onto my problem! I've never written any sort of...well, anything. I read quite often and I believe my vocab's sufficient for writing to linguistically adept writers such as the denizens of this forum. I'd just like to get a few tips and pointers that you guys have found to help you along in your writings and thought-process.

Some things like..
~Should I release chapter 1 alone, or wait until I get a few chapters?
~About how far ahead should I be thinking? Should I have the entire plot already done but unwritten?
~D'ya guys have others review before release?

Thanks guy! Appreciate your words!
<3,
Steve.

kittytoast

12-13-2012

How wonderful! I definitely agree with you on the awesomeness of the listed stories. I think if you've read a lot that can be one of the greatest assets you could possess when sitting down to write. So yay. Vi seems really tough and cool, so I'd be really excited to read something with her in it.

I think it can help to have major plot points figured out ahead of time to avoid plotholes and allow you to think about as many different views of it as possible. But I'm also very forgetful so... that may not be necessary for you XD

As for chapters, it may be helpful to have the first two or three done, then make adjustments as people give feedback? I did this and released them every few days; I think maybe it showed people that I wasn't going to just give up on my story halfway through, and gave a better idea of the plot than just one chapter. On the downside, it might give people unrealistic expectations about your ability to release chapters quickly (.-.) lol

Good luck Steve and most importantly, have fun! I can't wait to read what you have in store

BladeAngelx

12-13-2012

It seems like there is an increasing number of these threads floating around more recently and I like to tell everyone that I come across the same thing as the other ones, and with the current abundance of new author's like yourself I feel almost inclined to make a thread completely dedicated to helping up and coming author's find their roots in the forum.

What you've said is actually really great in comparison to some of the other new comers who are asking for plots and ideas on what would be good in a plot. The fact that you've read so many stories is definitely a plus. It gives you the insight into writing for an extremely diverse game, but even without that you can still succeed in your goal. I guess the one thing that I can say is that don't try to work yourself to fast, and don't be worried about "pleasing the fans" it's rather bad wording when in all reality I think that's what we all ultimately hope to accomplish but don't go in with that being your main goal, because there will always be someone who doesn't like a certain aspect of any given story.

You have the character that you want to use as a main character and that makes things a helluva lot easier, excuse my language if it offends you. As for a plot don't release any spoilers that for you and for you alone to know. I guess what I can say in regards to having a predefined story plot is that it's good and it's bad. If you go as far as to plan the entire story out really close off the possibility of adding in parts that you may think up along the way, but going in blind isn't a great approach either. I guess what I can say towards that particular point is plan it out only as far as main events. What I mean by that is that you should have a rough timeline/outline of the events of the story, but do not make this so intensive that there is no room for additional content if the need arises.

As for chapter releases. Releasing them every few days is great, and releasing them once a month works as well and it really depends on how quickly you can both write a chapter that catches the eye, and how well your story breaks into separate parts(chapters). I myself run on a once per week release in which I will release a chapter that is anywhere from 1500-3000 words dependent on the significance of events in the chapter. If you can write 1500-3000 words in a single day and have them exactly to your liking than by all means do the every few days release, but for myself i've found once a week to be an extremely comfortable writing pace where I'm allowed time to go about my daily life and in my free time I write.

When you asked about author's having people review chapters before they are released it's somewhat reliant on who the author is. I know for a fact that a few of the author's whom I speak to on a near regular basis and those who I speak to every now and again (such as Silver who write Wounded) will sometimes put the rough draft out for a limited group of author's to read and give her feedback on. I myself have taken it a step further inviting other author's to help me write my chapters most notably Grand Viper in my story The Rose of Deceit.

The biggest that I can say in regards to the forum is that, we are all hear to help and that if you ask we most likely will help you in anyway that is realistically possible. Some of the other newer author's who have posted threads like yours have basically asked us to write a story for them, not completely write it but have asked us to nearly lay out the entire plot for them to interpret and fill in the blanks. The community here is extremely kind and generous and we won't hesitate to help out a fellow author if they are stuck. I guess the biggest thing I can say is just introduce yourself to people. I've had a few people from the forums add me on the client and tell me that they've read my stories and it's always nice to actually talk to a fan directly than to wait for reviews and comments.

One of the people that happened to add me on the game compared me to a rock star of sorts(not making this up) to which I remarked that... No I'm just a normal 20 year old guy who goes to college, watches TV, plays online games, and for the most part tries to make it day to day and having friends whether they be readily available to say "hey wanna hang out at your place" or logging onto League of Legends and saying "hey you want to play a game" it makes very little difference. So don't get the feeling like the people who write your favorite stories are these seemingly impossible to talk to big shot writers, because although we might see ourselves that way sometimes :P we are just regular individuals who have a passion for writing and we don't bite. Don't be afraid to drop in and say hello or ask for some help like you did with this post, and most of all have fun while you're writing. Like I said building a fan base and pleasing your fans comes after writing something that you yourself can be proud of. Most of the time if you're proud of what you write, and you put your all into it, then people will see that and continue to read your story. But if you float by and don't put effort into it than it's less likely to happen.

I hope to see you around;
-BladeAngelx
(or you can call me Shane it doesn't really matter much.)

Cerubois

12-14-2012

Why hello there.

I don't have much time atm, so I'll just answer your questions quickly.

In my experience, just the first chapter should do, as long as it sets up the story well. Make sure it's long enough that it captures the reader, but short enough that it isn't a daunting task (somewhere between 2000-5000 words, imo). Having the next couple chapters planned out wouldn't hurt, but having them written out might be overdoing it a bit.

Having the plot in mind, again, wouldn't hurt. I'm not the type to plan everything out, as I write most of my stuff on the fly. But I do have a fairly good idea of what I want beforehand.
After the first few chapters, however, you'll probably get a feeling for how the characters are going to act, and your plans might change accordingly. Don't try to force things to go the way you imagined before, or it won't feel right. If you really need something to happen a certain way, try writing outwards from that spot, instead of at the beginning of the chapter. (I haven't tried this myself, but I've heard of others trying it)

I sometimes have some friends read it beforehand, sometimes not. It's up to you. If you're working chapter-by-chapter, you can always go back and change some things. It's a nice way of doing it.

Is this ViXCait by any chance? I might read that. :3

Noxian Mercenary

12-14-2012

Thanks guys for all of your wonderful help! I'm glad at the very least I'll have constructive critics rather than torrents of red thumbs ^-^

I definitely won't do a Vi-x-Cait. For me, Caitlyn represents the paradigm of an officer: efficient, ruthless, smart, and by-the-books. It goes against her personality - at least in my eyes. No, if I do something with a certain someone else, it'll be with someone who will be able to connect with her. Someone I know you're familiar with, as she's learned the value of self-reliance, and can teach Vi the value of self-control.