Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Enjoy doing Riot's job

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zachrin

12-13-2012

Quote:
Hammer Legion:
Does said shelter pull a profit? No, it doesn't. There's no other option BUT volunteer work for this. This is completely acceptable. Riot however profits. Therefore them getting you to do their job for them, is unacceptable in my eyes.

Quote:
PogoPogoPogoPogo:
Your analogy is horrendously terrible.

I'm not volunteering to do paperwork for Riot.

I'm voting on whether or not I want a particular sort of behavior in my community. And would I do that in my own community? I absolutely DO do that in my own community. Any time you vote in a federal or state election, you're doing that in your own community. Any time you vote on any of the ballot issues that come up in your county or city throughout the year, you're doing the exactly the same thing as I do when I vote in the Tribunal.

Answer to this?

Kirska

12-13-2012

Quote:
Hammer Legion:
Does said shelter pull a profit? No, it doesn't. There's no other option BUT volunteer work for this. This is completely acceptable. Riot however profits. Therefore them getting you to do their job for them, is unacceptable in my eyes.

Then don't do it if you find it unacceptable.

Seriously what are you harping on about?

Did it ever occur to you that we enjoy participating and improving the game we play? What does it matter to you if we do it willingly without pay? Why is this anyone's business but ours?

Edit: By the way you are incorrect. They have paid staff. I choose to do the paperwork (specifically the online adoption listings) to relieve the staff of that duty in order to improve the lives and survival chance of the animals. If I didn't do it, the job would still be done, but not as well.

Same situation applies here. If the tribunal wasn't used, the Riot employees would sort through all of the reports, which is, in my opinion, time better spent working on other things to improve the game.

SchierkeWiking

12-13-2012

You should consult a proctologist immediately, you clearily suffer from an extreme case of butthurt.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-13-2012

Quote:
Hammer Legion:
I'm trying to point out how easy it is to get you to do my work for me. All I have to do is give you some numbers you can compare with your friends to show them how much better you are.

Hammer Legion, your logic is still pretty failed.

First off, moderating player behavior isn't even inherently a job. Riot COULD produce LoL without banning, warning, suspending anyone. The community would be horrendous and the game would be less popular (because people like me wouldn't stick around most likely).

Now, it is in their interest to moderate player behavior in some fashion, because a better community helps maintain game popularity, and the end result is increased revenue.

But increased revenue for Riot is only one gain the Tribunal grants us. The game could maintain the same level of popularity if Riot hired their own staff to do everything the Tribunal does, but what would be the cost to us? There'd be a cost.

The cost might be more time between new champions.
The cost might mean fewer skin releases.
The cost might be increased prices on everything.
The cost might be that now skins are available for RP/IP, but champions are only available for RP.
The cost might be that there are an increased number of bugs.
The cost might that game balance (no matter what you think of it now) would be significantly worse.

And part of the cost would definitely be that the community has an extraordinarily limited say in what is and isn't acceptable in their own community.

Meanwhile, IP or not, there is incentive for me to take part in the Tribunal because it gives me a say in what is and isn't acceptable in the community that I'm part of as a LoL player. If you don't care what people do, and you don't care to help shape the behavior of the community you're in, then maybe the Tribunal does feel like slave work, and if that's the case, I'd suggest that you simply choose to not take part.

But a lot of the Tribunal voters, back when IP was rewarded, weren't voting because they wanted the IP (as you said, you get more IP faster by playing matches). They were voting because they wanted to have a say in what kind of behavior was acceptable in the community.

Hammer Legion

12-13-2012

Quote:
Kirska:
Check my edit please.

Because clearly we can trust Riot on this one.

Quote:
Do you REALLY believe that Riot would leave a banning system (a system which LOSES profit after a certain threshold by eliminating potential customers) completely in the hands of the players to SAVE money?

This is the original quote that sparked this off topic discussion. So I will reply to this again. For one, the tribunal is not a banning system. It is a punishment system. Not every punishment leads to a ban. Not every punishment leads to a permaban. Let's assume that a permaban equals loss of profit, even though I've stated otherwise before. The tribunal does not EVER result in a permaban. Permabans only come from Riot employees who review a player after certain circumstances are met. The tribunal gives out warnings and temporary suspensions. So yes, it does save Riot money. Instead of Riot paying employees to review reports and determine if action should be taken or not, they sucker their customers into doing it for them, without any compensation or benefit otherwise.

And the sheep says?

Hammer Legion

12-13-2012

Quote:
Zachrin:
Answer to this?

Even jury duty provides compensation.

Kirska

12-13-2012

Quote:
Hammer Legion:
The tribunal does not EVER result in a permaban. Permabans only come from Riot employees who review a player after certain circumstances are met. The tribunal gives out warnings and temporary suspensions.

Tribunal resulting in permaban: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal/case/6015638/

And the <insert irrelevant clever animal here> says?

Hammer Legion

12-13-2012

Quote:
Kirska:
Then don't do it if you find it unacceptable.

Seriously what are you harping on about?

Did it ever occur to you that we enjoy participating and improving the game we play? What does it matter to you if we do it willingly without pay? Why is this anyone's business but ours?

Edit: By the way you are incorrect. They have paid staff. I choose to do the paperwork (specifically the online adoption listings) to relieve the staff of that duty in order to improve the lives and survival chance of the animals. If I didn't do it, the job would still be done, but not as well.

Same situation applies here. If the tribunal wasn't used, the Riot employees would sort through all of the reports, which is, in my opinion, time better spent working on other things to improve the game.

The shelter does have paid employees yes. These employees are so-called "skilled employees". There is no way to get them other than by paying them. However, the shelter itself does not pull a profit, it cannot pull a profit, as it is most likely a non-profit organization run completely on donations and grants from the community. It is community created and community run. It is a necessary service that has to be done. This isn't the same case as what we're talking about here. Riot pulls a profit. They're suckering you into lowering their overhead costs, by doing their work for them.

The problem here, is that the time isn't being better spent working on other things to improve the game. It's removal of Riot's overhead costs. They aren't taking that money to hire other employees to improve the game at all.

Yiyo chan

12-13-2012

All I got from this thread is that someone likes sheeps too much.

Hammer Legion

12-13-2012

Quote:
Kirska:
Tribunal resulting in permaban: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal/case/6015638/

And the <insert irrelevant clever animal here> says?

The tribunal did not make the decision to permaban the player. A riot employee reviewed the case because a set of circumstances were met, and decided to permaban the player. Most tribunal cases are automated, with a set of automatic punishments based on the circumstances.

So, as I said before, Riot is not leaving this system in the hands of the players at all. They are however saving money by getting the players to filter through the bull**** reports for them, and tell them which reports deserve punishment and which ones do not.

I feel that deserves reasonable compensation. Like I said before though, there are too many sheep who blindly follow their leaders, never bothering to ask questions or think for themselves.