Deck the Lanes with Gingerbread Contest

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dreampod

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depraving View Post
I don't think the use of fondant is bad, it's like using icing and what not. I think the point was (I'm pretty sure a red had said this) to make the cookie/gingerbread show through. I don't mind the entries that use fondant and candy and whatever else to accent their entries. But there are a few where it's the opposite, a big fondant covered cake or whatever as the centerpiece, and then some little cookies to make it qualify.

The previous competition was completely open to being anything so long as it's edible, so I think fondant/cake was fine there. Regardless, I liked seeing all the entries here throughout the weeks. It was fun to do at least. Hadn't built gingerbread anything in years :P
The general hate towards fondant is that while it is edible it isn't really food and avoids the spirit of the competition because it is like working with clay rather than cookies and icing. It looks extremely clean and crisp with quite a bit of ease which correspondingly makes those of us who worked very hard within the spirit of the competition with challenging materials look worse in comparison. Gingerbread and cookies were supposed to be the centerpiece of the designs and using fondant for the challenging bits is contrary to that.

A Wild Magikarp

01-12-2013

Exactly... I think most people also struggle finding a happy medium between fondant (and other similar materials like "candy clay") and the rest of the food world. For me, I'll probably always make my champs out of chocolate. It is cleaner, etc. and I just enjoy doing that. For me though, the environment and as much else as possible gets made by other stuff. For example, I made a graham cracker piano, a butter cookie tree and LoL stockings, and a gingerbread fireplace and Doran's wreath to make sure I was well within the spirit of the competition.

For me, it has been about adding something creative to the game (via new skins, themes, action scenes, etc.) vs. just making it flawless. I know I'm not yet good enough to make a very polished submission and still, I've been able to compete in the last 2 with ideas alone. Unfortunately for me, even though I came up with several creative ideas this time that I didn't see anyone else use, my execution of those ideas was just flat awful and it cost me a huge amount of time and money. Like I said before though, this is something personal to me now and I intend to show my passion not in bashing the other submissions this time but by submitting something so good that it will crush all the other submissions in quality next time. Truth be told, I'd really like a 2nd shot at the idea I had this time. If I end up with some free time in the coming months, I may just redo the one I submitted and make it look a lot more polished/professional.

Ombria

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davu View Post
that is strange my submission isnt even on the voting page!
Your entry was one of my favorites.

Mythical Hero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2013

My cake with fiddlesticks beats all the contest winners. Some of the contest winners creations are just horrible. I feel the contest winners votes were more about summoner name popularity and not design creation. What a huge waste of time and money. I will never enter another LOL contest again. Riot should have not asked for the summoners name to be on the creation. The voting should be more about the creation and not the summoner who created it. This contest was a joke....